New Wifi Technology Li-Fi - What Would Peat Think Of It?

XPlus

VLC is a data communication medium, which uses visible light between 400 THz (780 nm) and 800 THz (375 nm)

It's not exactly the Peat optimal wavelength range of 600-800nm but what's the impact of that on health compared to WIFI radio frequencies and fluorescent lamps combined.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluoresce ... and_health
Nocturnal exposure to light in the short wavelength ranges (below 530 nm) generated by some fluorescent lamps may interfere with mammalian circadian rhythms due to its suppressing effect on melatonin production.[1] Suppression of melatonin has been linked to cancer in some studies

While melatonin isn't something we Peatrians interested in keeping up , I'm unsure if we should mess with it much.
There're, however another concern with fluorescent lighting and that's blue light.

From http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/0 ... -is-right/
Children these days aren’t immune to this same scenario as they are more likely to play Xbox 360 or be on the internet after school than ride bikes and play outside. Whether it’s winter or summer really doesn’t matter because people aren’t outside anyway, and it’s important to note that indoor fluorescent lighting (rich in blue light) unfortunately has the same effects as darkness on the cellular energy production.

So it seems that anything that's below 600nm is rather closer to blue light
2000px-EM_spectrum.svg.png

If this technology at least reduces the need for wifi it might be better then the current setting in my office with 8 fluorescent lamps and 13 wifi hotspots around.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

the question: can you use halogen lamp with this technology?
XPlus said:
post 111086 between 400 THz (780 nm) and 800 THz (375 nm)
It looks like it can work. It will be awesome. It will reduce the need for wifi as you mentioned and if red light is used such as halogen, then you get the benefits of red light too.

Last edited by a moderator:

XPlus

I think they're using LEDs and as long as they can keep that range above 600 it would be really good