*NEW* vitamin D information everyone needs to know!

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Even in summer I use it when there are cool periods with clouds and rain. An hour outside here is possible, occasionally, during late March and early November, but none at all during the winter months. I can tolerate maybe 45 F if zero breeze and sunny. Any lower and no way. Right now it's 30F and snowing.
Yeah I really struggled up north in the winter. Seasonal affection disorder is absolutely vitamin D deficiency, which I had every yr. That's when I would use the lamp. This summer I was inside a lot so my levels are likely low despite living where the sun is HOT.

frannybananny

This is great thank you for posting @sugarbabe. I’m always enlightened whenever I listen to Dr Gominak. Her article on b5 and vitamin D made a huge difference to me when I read it. As someone with chronic insomnia this is useful information. I will search for a lab in the UK to get this test done. If anyone finds one before I do please post.

This is her website. Some useful vit D info

Her article
Vitamin D deficiency changes the intestinal microbiome reducing B vitamin production in the gut. The resulting lack of pantothenic acid adversely affects the immune system, producing a "pro-inflammatory" state associated with atherosclerosis and autoimmunity

This is extremely useful information!! I sometimes forget to take my vitamins and probably only take 4,000 iu of Vit. D every other day. I will pay more attention now, thank you!

frannybananny

This is great thank you for posting @sugarbabe. I’m always enlightened whenever I listen to Dr Gominak. Her article on b5 and vitamin D made a huge difference to me when I read it. As someone with chronic insomnia this is useful information. I will search for a lab in the UK to get this test done. If anyone finds one before I do please post.

This is her website. Some useful vit D info

Her article
Vitamin D deficiency changes the intestinal microbiome reducing B vitamin production in the gut. The resulting lack of pantothenic acid adversely affects the immune system, producing a "pro-inflammatory" state associated with atherosclerosis and autoimmunity

This PDF on Pantothenic Acid Deficiency caused by too much Vit. D is invaluable, thanks!

profwormbog

I have taken 5,000 IU/d for several years. Summertime I drop back to 2,000-3,000 IU/d. Had my level checked beginning of October: 67 ng/mL. Just had it checked again last week: 57 ng/mL; so, a 10 point drop in two months. I have upped my dose to 10,000 IU/d and will check again after the new year. Living above the sun belt this time of year, I just don't make enough naturally so have to supplement in higher doses and get tested regularly to keep things in-check. Will definitely look into getting a lamp, so thanks for the suggestion.

aniciete

Even in summer I use it when there are cool periods with clouds and rain. An hour outside here is possible, occasionally, during late March and early November, but none at all during the winter months. I can tolerate maybe 45 F if zero breeze and sunny. Any lower and no way. Right now it's 30F and snowing.
Do you mind sharing your routine? Do you rotate legs, back, chest etc? Do you use it everyday? My sperti lamp arrived in the mail yesterday and it just started snowing today lol.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I have taken 5,000 IU/d for several years. Summertime I drop back to 2,000-3,000 IU/d. Had my level checked beginning of October: 67 ng/mL. Just had it checked again last week: 57 ng/mL; so, a 10 point drop in two months. I have upped my dose to 10,000 IU/d and will check again after the new year. Living above the sun belt this time of year, I just don't make enough naturally so have to supplement in higher doses and get tested regularly to keep things in-check. Will definitely look into getting a lamp, so thanks for the suggestion.
Was the vitamin D test an immuno assay?

Doc Sandoz

Do you mind sharing your routine? Do you rotate legs, back, chest etc? Do you use it everyday? My sperti lamp arrived in the mail yesterday and it just started snowing today lol.
I started out using it less than the five minutes (as they recommend for starting out). However, quickly built up to 5 minutes - every other day. I alternate among below waist front and back and above waist front and back - so four different exposures. It's very good for those of us who live in winter wonderlands.

Mito

Substantial variation in the measured 25(OH)D concentrations, using simple repeated measures of the same assay at the same laboratory, was observed for both Liaison and LC-MS/MS, despite the latter being widely considered the gold standard.7 In addition, there was significant difference between results from two different laboratories using one assay type (used by two different laboratories), and negative bias in the immunoassay (Diasorin Liaison) compared with the LC-MS/MS assay.

31C60A06-2F2D-43F2-A749-87098FA9DD5B.jpeg

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

Substantial variation in the measured 25(OH)D concentrations, using simple repeated measures of the same assay at the same laboratory, was observed for both Liaison and LC-MS/MS, despite the latter being widely considered the gold standard.7 In addition, there was significant difference between results from two different laboratories using one assay type (used by two different laboratories), and negative bias in the immunoassay (Diasorin Liaison) compared with the LC-MS/MS assay.

View attachment 31087
Yeah @Amazoniac posted a couple reports on it as well. I don't know what to make of it. What do you think?

aniciete

I started out using it less than the five minutes (as they recommend for starting out). However, quickly built up to 5 minutes - every other day. I alternate among below waist front and back and above waist front and back - so four different exposures. It's very good for those of us who live in winter wonderlands.
Thanks!

Mito

Yeah @Amazoniac posted a couple reports on it as well. I don't know what to make of it. What do you think?
I wonder if the majority of the research on optimal 25(OH)D blood levels are based on immunoassay results and not LC-MS/MS? If so, you may undershoot the optimal range if you use LC-MS/MS since it tends to give higher results than immunoassay (at least according to that one study).

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

I wonder if the majority of the research on optimal 25(OH)D blood levels are based on immunoassay results and not LC-MS/MS? If so, you may undershoot the optimal range if you use LC-MS/MS since it tends to give higher results than immunoassay (at least according to that one study).
No idea. She claimed doing the immunoassay would give different results even on the same day. So she seems to have some experience with it that we can't glean from the studies.

Mito

No idea. She claimed doing the immunoassay would give different results even on the same day. So she seems to have some experience with it that we can't glean from the studies.
That’s true what she says about immunoassay, but the study said that substantial variation was found on the LC-MS/MS as well when repeating measurements of the same assay.

profwormbog

Was the vitamin D test an immuno assay?
Not sure, but if you are saying LabCorp uses it that is who did my latest bloodwork (I am in the US). My result read as follows:
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 56.9 ng/mL [30.0-100.0]

She mentioned the "punch-hole" tests. My previous test was a mail-in from Everlywell (67 ng/mL). The good news is my doctor ordered the right test earlier this year:
Panel Description: VITAMIN D, 25-HYDROXY,LC-MS-MS
Component: Vitamin D,25-OH,Total,IA
Standard Range: 30-100
Your Values: 53

Last edited:

Sefton10

I just try to keep calcium intake closer to the actual RDA of 800-1000mg, while keeping total magnesium intake at 800-1000mg too. I also consume around 9‘000mg of potassium from foods only.
Do you pay attention to calcium:phosphorous ratio anymore, youngsinatra, or not as much of a concern these days? I ask as I too have been getting less calcium recently.

OP
InChristAlone

InChristAlone

That’s true what she says about immunoassay, but the study said that substantial variation was found on the LC-MS/MS as well when repeating measurements of the same assay.
So how can any vitamin D test be trusted then?

Mito

So how can any vitamin D test be trusted then?
Here is a recent study on the subject, some performed better than others.
8453BC5E-ADA9-428D-A107-8EDDC1E1A63C.jpeg

4. Conclusions
All 13 assays achieved the VDSP criterion of %CV ≤ 10 % while only 9 assays satisfied the criterion of ≤ ±5 % mean bias (i.e., Abbott, BeckmanCoulter,Biom ́erieuxI,DiaSorin,Diazyme,FujirebioInc., Roche, Siemens, and LC–MS/MS). However, 3 of the 9 assays meeting the bias criterion had only 16 %–24 % of the individual measurements within ±5 % bias indicating a potential need to strengthen the VDSP bias criterion. The presence of a significant number of single-donor samples with high levels of 25(OH)D2 in this study provided a critical performance test for these assays with ten immunoassays exhibiting some change in response due to the high 25(OH)D2 concentration samples with the Abbott, Biom ́erieux, and DIAsource assays having the largest deviations (25 %–38 %). Two immunoassays (Fujirebio Inc. and Beckman Coulter) and the LC–MS/MS assay were only minimally affected by the presence of the high 25(OH)D2 concentration samples. One interpretation of these deviations with high 25(OH)D2 concentration samples would be that some assays do not have equal response or recovery for both 25(OH)D2 and 25(OH)D3. For the 12 immunoassays, the Fujirebio Inc. assay exhibited the lowest %CV and the highest percentage of individual measurements within ±5 % mean bias. Expanded assay performance evaluation and comparison with 34 additional assays used in multiple laboratories Intercomparison Study 2 are detailed elsewhere [31,32].

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals