New to thyroid medication

Serge

I've been checking my body temperature, and it seems to be quite low, lower than 36C (96.6F) in most cases. I'm also diabetic, with blood sugars around 180. I'm thinking about using some thyroid medications, what I have in the local store are 2 medications: L-Thyroxin 50 Berlin-Chemie and Euthyrox, both of which have levothyroxine sodium as the working substance. Is it the right thing to start with, and what is the dosage? they come in 25, 50, 75 and 100 micrograms per tablet, the instruction says like 1.6 mcg per kilo body weight.
Thanks.

rr1

Please check out this thread: Levothyroxine (T4) Monotherapy Often Ineffective For Hypothyroidism

I think a natural desiccated thyroid (NDT) product, a product that contains liothyronine(T3) and levothyroxine(T4), or just a mono therapy of liothyronine(T3) would be more more effective.

If using only T4, something to keep in mind is this:
thyroxine’s half-life in the body is two weeks, so the effect is cumulative, and if you get the desired effects in less than two weeks the dose should probably be reduced.” Ray Peat
So possibly start with the lower dose of 25 micrograms of T4 per day for 2 weeks and if temps haven't increased, then up to 50 micrograms for 2 weeks, keeping in mind the above.

I think this would also be important to consider:
[IMPROVING T4->T3 CONVERSION] If you were deficient in selenium, the correcting effect would be quick, but if there was a problem with intestinal flora, that would have to be taken care of before conversion was good. Other nutritional deficiencies could be involved. Daily raw carrot, weekly seafood and liver, enough sunlight and vitamin D, a good ratio of calcium to phosphate, are often helpful.

Calcium (two liters of milk), vitamin D and plenty of orange juice sometimes help to regulate things by balancing the minerals. A daily carrot salad should keep the small intestine fairly sterile.
The liver has to convert T4 to T3 for it to be effective. It needs glucose and selenium to make the conversion. Adequate protein, at least 80 grams per day, is necessary. Sea food, once a week will provide selenium, two quarts of milk and a quart of orange juice would provide many of the other essential nutrients. Taking T4 at bedtime sometimes is helpful.

Here are some great resources:
Demystifying Thyroid Supplementation: https://www.patreon.com/posts/14839477
Broda Barnes's Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness book

And of course the thyroid articles on raypeat.com

I have only just started with thyroid supplementation myself, but these resources have helped me understand a little more.

Korven

Danny Roddy has written an awesome DIY guide on starting thyroid supplementation: here. It should answer most of your questions.

Levothyroxine is not the best form of thyroid, it only has the T4 form. You want something with T3 and/or T4. Haidut on this forum sells an awesome product with natural desiccated thyroid called Tyromax (has both T3 and T4) at idealabs.com/lab.

You might also want to supplement thiamine + B-complex for improving glucose oxidation. Lots of people are deficient in thiamine/vitamin B1.

OP
Serge

Serge

Thank you people! So I'll start tomorrow with whatever is available, and later after studying the links, order something over Internet if I feel levothyroxine doesn't work.
As far as B vitamins and minerals, I eat calmari 3-5 times a week, liver, eggs, cottage cheese, self-made natto beans (no soy beans around, I use other beans available), try to get more magnesium and other things normally recommended in case of diabetes. Trying to have those Cronometer lines filled every day. Doesn't help much with blood glucose though :(

rr1

Thank you people! So I'll start tomorrow with whatever is available, and later after studying the links, order something over Internet if I feel levothyroxine doesn't work.
As far as B vitamins and minerals, I eat calmari 3-5 times a week, liver, eggs, cottage cheese, self-made natto beans (no soy beans around, I use other beans available), try to get more magnesium and other things normally recommended in case of diabetes. Trying to have those Cronometer lines filled every day. Doesn't help much with blood glucose though :(
Have you tried aspirin and looked into reducing endotoxin? I think both of these should help.

OP
Serge

Serge

Have you tried aspirin and looked into reducing endotoxin? I think both of these should help.
I do take aspirin, but not regularly, I should probably change that. Regularly I started taking methylene blue like a month ago, which greatly helped with my skin outbreaks, and I eat carrots pretty much all my life, of course, now I add ACV and coconut or olive oil.