New to T3

Ganne

I have Hashimoto’s and am trying to take T3 to help with symptoms. When I take 5 mcg of Cytomel in morning it makes me hyper and angry so for the last few days I moved the 5 mcg with lunch and about 2 mcg with my dinner and 2mcg before bed. Now the problem is that I am get so sleepy after each dose. I love the feeling of being relaxed but I do have to get things done. Also when I wake up in the mornings I feel kind of hung over and blue. I am trying to feel more energetic and happy. Any thoughts ?

Beastmode

I have Hashimoto’s and am trying to take T3 to help with symptoms. When I take 5 mcg of Cytomel in morning it makes me hyper and angry so for the last few days I moved the 5 mcg with lunch and about 2 mcg with my dinner and 2mcg before bed. Now the problem is that I am get so sleepy after each dose. I love the feeling of being relaxed but I do have to get things done. Also when I wake up in the mornings I feel kind of hung over and blue. I am trying to feel more energetic and happy. Any thoughts ?
1) You need to be well fueled take something as potent as T3. If you're having it with breakfast, start with something small like 1-2 mcg with a well balanced meal.
2) I took 3 hour naps the first week of taking T3 and I never napped before that. It'll bring out what you've been running on most likely (i.e- adrenalin.)

Start in very small, consistent amounts for a few weeks then adjust from there. It can take months to dial it in. Too many people rush with this stuff and don't ever get to see the real benefits available over time.

Also, it's worth charting body temp and pulse throughout the day (first thing in the a.m, 30 min after 1st meal, lunch time, etc) as they're excellent feedback on what's improving and not.

Slow is the key and forever is the timeline.

OP
G

Ganne

I assume the body temps that I am looking for is close to 98.6 What pulse should I be looking for. I have been so stressed my pulse is always high. Thanks for your reply.

Beastmode

I assume the body temps that I am looking for is close to 98.6 What pulse should I be looking for. I have been so stressed my pulse is always high. Thanks for your reply.
75-85 as the day progresses isn't a bad range.

Body temp in the mid-high 70's upon waking works for most.

The key is taking this measurement first thing for both and sometime after your first meal (30 min.) How your #'s change will very helpful. Might be worth getting some recordings for a week then coming back on here to share what you got.

joyintheworld

Id recommend to take 5 at midnight and split dose the other 5 (when you wake up and about 4 hours later). It will help circadian rhytm.

Cooper

1) You need to be well fueled take something as potent as T3. If you're having it with breakfast, start with something small like 1-2 mcg with a well balanced meal.
2) I took 3 hour naps the first week of taking T3 and I never napped before that. It'll bring out what you've been running on most likely (i.e- adrenalin.)

Start in very small, consistent amounts for a few weeks then adjust from there. It can take months to dial it in. Too many people rush with this stuff and don't ever get to see the real benefits available over time.

Also, it's worth charting body temp and pulse throughout the day (first thing in the a.m, 30 min after 1st meal, lunch time, etc) as they're excellent feedback on what's improving and not.

Slow is the key and forever is the timeline.
I hope you aware that Thyroid meds taken on empty stomach, 1 hrs before eating in the morning usually.

Beastmode

I hope you aware that Thyroid meds taken on empty stomach, 1 hrs before eating in the morning usually.
Taking it with food is always safest. Taking on an empty stomach in a system that isn't properly fueled doesn't make any sense. Good luck with that!

OP
G

Ganne

75-85 as the day progresses isn't a bad range.

Body temp in the mid-high 70's upon waking works for most.

The key is taking this measurement first thing for both and sometime after your first meal (30 min.) How your #'s change will very helpful. Might be worth getting some recordings for a week then coming back on here to share what you got.
Thanks, I will do as you say and check back in.

OP
G

Ganne

When I first started T3 I took it only on an empty stomach. It made me a horrible mess. It made me feel like I had an over dose of caffeine. I gave up trying it. After reading Peats notes here on this site I added in t3 with meals. What a game changer! I know a lot of people who take NDT first thing in an empty stomach and do well but even that made me jittery and anxious.
I also had very low cholesterol and Ray Peat mentioned here again that low Cholesterol can make it hard to take thyroid. So I added in more eggs, milk and cheese. So far I have been able to tolerate it better than before.

Beastmode

When I first started T3 I took it only on an empty stomach. It made me a horrible mess. It made me feel like I had an over dose of caffeine. I gave up trying it. After reading Peats notes here on this site I added in t3 with meals. What a game changer! I know a lot of people who take NDT first thing in an empty stomach and do well but even that made me jittery and anxious.
I also had very low cholesterol and Ray Peat mentioned here again that low Cholesterol can make it hard to take thyroid. So I added in more eggs, milk and cheese. So far I have been able to tolerate it better than before.
Through your direct experience, which is the best feedback, you're moving in the right direction. Don't change too much at a time and really observe like you obviously are.

Cooper

But the studies proved that the absorbtion rate drops by %80 if you take T3-4 with meals?!

OP
G

Ganne

That's for T4.
I have alway heard to take it in an empty stomach too. And I was never able to handle it. If you go to the Wiki on the site and look at Ray’s email exchanges he mentions at least three times to take thyroid with food or meals. I was surprised but it is working. I am very grateful to Ray for this information.

joyintheworld

You are suppose to take thyroid supplements on an empty stomach (1hr before a meal and 1 hr post) to ensure absorption.

OP
G

Ganne

You are suppose to take thyroid supplements on an empty stomach (1hr before a meal and 1 hr post) to ensure absorption.
Yep, as I stated above that may work for some people but Ray says different. So I am going with him. Also I was at my doctor’s office yesterday and they approved taking my T3 with food.

joyintheworld

That's great. Do what works best for you. From my experience as a long time hypo patient ...taking with food is critical for me. My thought is that if you are having hyper actions from taking it, you are either taking too much or you need to take less more often by cutting it up every 4 hours. Try that as well.

OP
G

Ganne

That's great. Do what works best for you. From my experience as a long time hypo patient ...taking with food is critical for me. My thought is that if you are having hyper actions from taking it, you are either taking too much or you need to take less more often by cutting it up every 4 hours. Try that as well.
Ty