New To Ray Peat Diet. I Have A Lot Of Constipation Last Couple Days

Kt400

Hey guys I havent had much trouble with pooping until I started Ray Peat diet a few days ago. Some things that are new that I've introduced to my eating regimen are two servings of daily collagen, 7 servings of ice cream (haagen daz). I am an athlete trying to put on weight so that is why the servings of ice cream are so high. It's very painful pooping. There is also blood after I wipe which I feel is from my anus being irritated from the poop being so hard and round.

Could it be the dairy? Or do I need to just incorporate more greens and fiber into diet?

TeaRex14

I went through phases of constipation when I switched, adding a little bit of fiber helps. I chose it get the fiber through starches not greens. Potatoes, white rice, grits, oats, and homemade tortilla chips are good choices. The chips are probably my favorite, I make them out of sprouted spelt flour and cook them in coconut oil. If you wanted to make them even more "peaty" just use regular white flour. Whole grains and ancient grains do have a small amount of PUFA in them, nothing I'm personally concerned about though.

OP
K

Kt400

I went through phases of constipation when I switched, adding a little bit of fiber helps. I chose it get the fiber through starches not greens. Potatoes, white rice, grits, oats, and homemade tortilla chips are good choices. The chips are probably my favorite, I make them out of sprouted spelt flour and cook them in coconut oil. If you wanted to make them even more "peaty" just use regular white flour. Whole grains and ancient grains do have a small amount of PUFA in them, nothing I'm personally concerned about though.
Thanks for the advice... I keep hearing greens can be detrimental why is that? Wouldn't steaming and cooking them help? I also hear that potatoes are bad because the starch. But I see people on this forum include it in their diet all the time...

OP
K

Kt400

Do you believe the constipation is just a transition phase? or is it simply because I'm lacking fiber?

TeaRex14

Thanks for the advice... I keep hearing greens can be detrimental why is that? Wouldn't steaming and cooking them help? I also hear that potatoes are bad because the starch. But I see people on this forum include it in their diet all the time...
Well cooked greens is fine in moderation for vitamin K. Two to three servings a week probably wouldn't pose any problems. The main concern is the goitorgens. Yeah starch is a controversial topic in Peat land. The main concern seems to be a really high amount of starch in the presence of a low sugar and low saturated fat intake. Ideally, if you had year round access to fresh, ripe, whole fruits (ideally tropical fruits) the fiber from the fruits would be better then from starch.

Do you believe the constipation is just a transition phase? or is it simply because I'm lacking fiber?
Possibly, probably a little bit of both. Whenever you change your diet your digestive system needs a few day to properly acclimate.

OP
K

Kt400

Well cooked greens is fine in moderation for vitamin K. Two to three servings a week probably wouldn't pose any problems. The main concern is the goitorgens. Yeah starch is a controversial topic in Peat land. The main concern seems to be a really high amount of starch in the presence of a low sugar and low saturated fat intake. Ideally, if you had year round access to fresh, ripe, whole fruits (ideally tropical fruits) the fiber from the fruits would be better then from starch.

Possibly, probably a little bit of both. Whenever you change your diet your digestive system needs a few day to properly acclimate.
what about just regular apples?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey guys I havent had much trouble with pooping until I started Ray Peat diet a few days ago. Some things that are new that I've introduced to my eating regimen are two servings of daily collagen, 7 servings of ice cream (haagen daz). I am an athlete trying to put on weight so that is why the servings of ice cream are so high. It's very painful pooping. There is also blood after I wipe which I feel is from my anus being irritated from the poop being so hard and round.

Could it be the dairy? Or do I need to just incorporate more greens and fiber into diet?
Lots of high fat dairy has this effect on me however it gets better after a few days. If I use low fat or skim I don't get constipation.

TeaRex14

what about just regular apples?
If they're ripe then they're good. I mentioned tropical fruits simply because they tend to have slightly higher nutritional values. Oranges, mangoes, papayas, guavas tend to reign king amongst micronurtient density. But as a good source of sugar and fiber any ripe fruit will do the trick.

OP
K

Kt400

Lots of high fat dairy has this effect on me however it gets better after a few days. If I use low fat or skim I don't get constipation.
what do you mean after a few days?

fradon

high iron could do this

fructose increases iron absorption and it increases constipation. high iron can also lead to hemmroids.

D

danishispsychic

try taking ox bile with meal- you have a lot of fat in your diet

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals