New RP Interview (8/5) Says, "stop Eating For A While."

mrchibbs

The question at 51:26 was specifically about what should a person who is "50-60 lbs overweight" do to lose weight. To which he responded, "first, stop eating for a while"...AND then "...go on a low-fat diet...".
Furthermore, around 53:55 they push him to answer the question if "calories matter" as I am guessing they wanted him to explicitly answer the fasting/dieting question and then he goes on to say that a person who has been dieting will have tanked their metabolism to the point where they are only burning 700-800 calories daily, and his recommendation is to NOT do that but instead increase protein in the diet at the expense of fat, and also increase calcium intake as that would "very quickly" restore their metabolism and allow their muscles to recover, which would then further up the metabolic rate.
So, it seems to me he very clearly advised against chronic fasting, and possibly endorsed a brief fasting period only for severely overweight people.

@Energizer @Aymen @mrchibbs

That's how I understood it! Ray clearly doesn't recommend chronic fasting, but I think he's clearly aware that it can help in certain situations. In the ORN interview he clearly says that providing minerals alleviates the problems of fasting. So I could see people enjoying great benefits from say a 2-3 day fast where only broth is consumed.

I think I also heard him have a positive take on ''IF-like'' 16-8 feeding windows. Clearly it's not a good idea when you're sick and can't maintain your blood sugar, but really healthy people can store a lot of glycogen in their liver. I remember just a few years ago, I'd stay warm and focused even if I didn't eat for 12+ hours.

I understood Peat's "stop eating for a while" like "stop eating when you are not hungry", i.e., his "for a while" means maybe "until your glycogen stores are depleted" :):

Not eating unless truly hungry is a big recovery factor IMO. I'd like to be able to rationalize it better from a physiological perspective, but giving your liver a break, and especially avoiding heavy foods 4h or so before bed and upon waking up, really seems to help. I think giving the digestive tract a breather, allows circulation to rest of the body to return as well. Overfeeding is clearly a problem.

mrchibbs

The key is finding out why you need to be eating all the time in the first place.

It is probably EMF, mold, fungal/bacterial infection, or something else that is stimulating the stress system.

Not eating doesn't address those very well except in the fungal/bacterial case, which is probably why fasting works well for some but not all

That is a really insightful perspective. Eating is so anti-stress and I experienced insatiable hunger for a time after an experience of mold infection and just overall health breakdown, whereas in prior years I was seldom hungry.

YamnayaMommy

Again Ray has a much more nuanced perspective than is often depicted.

Ray is remarkably consistent, I remember several interviews over the few years where he has talked at least semi-favourably about fasting.

In particular, I think he said at some point that drinking mineral-rich broth during a l0w-calorie or ''fasting'' was enough to prevent 90% of muscle and tissue wastage from high cortisol.

Fasting promoters say that anything that causes insulin to rise will make you hungry and will wreck your fasting. I have found this to be true, and only do carbonated mineral water, salt, and plain coffee/tea during fast. If is simply the easiest way to lose fat and maintain fat loss. I do an 18:6 pattern of IF 5 days a week.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

The question at 51:26 was specifically about what should a person who is "50-60 lbs overweight" do to lose weight. To which he responded, "first, stop eating for a while"...AND then "...go on a low-fat diet...".
Furthermore, around 53:55 they push him to answer the question if "calories matter" as I am guessing they wanted him to explicitly answer the fasting/dieting question and then he goes on to say that a person who has been dieting will have tanked their metabolism to the point where they are only burning 700-800 calories daily, and his recommendation is to NOT do that but instead increase protein in the diet at the expense of fat, and also increase calcium intake as that would "very quickly" restore their metabolism and allow their muscles to recover, which would then further up the metabolic rate.
So, it seems to me he very clearly advised against chronic fasting, and possibly endorsed a brief fasting period only for severely overweight people.

@Energizer @Aymen @mrchibbs
I agree

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Fasting promoters say that anything that causes insulin to rise will make you hungry and will wreck your fasting. I have found this to be true, and only do carbonated mineral water, salt, and plain coffee/tea during fast. If is simply the easiest way to lose fat and maintain fat loss. I do an 18:6 pattern of IF 5 days a week.
Personally I find the easiest fast BY FAR is cyclic dry fasting. Plus one could argue that the benefit from alkaline mineral intake to preserve lean tissue wouldn't be as big of a deal since 1. The fast is short and 2. There won't be fluid intake to dilute electrolytes.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I understood Peat's "stop eating for a while" like "stop eating when you are not hungry", i.e., his "for a while" means maybe "until your glycogen stores are depleted" :):

Yep, fasting until your carb energy stores can support it is fine, and can reduce endotoxin and bowel inflammation. But once those FFA start rising after say 2-3 days, trouble awaits. Most of that FFA is PUFA and can be somewhat mitigated by taking vitamin E but I doubt even with that precaution a person can safely fast for most than a week.

mrchibbs

That makes sense, mineral water, salt and tea probably supply a lot of the same minerals and supplements that a broth would.

Tarmander

That is a really insightful perspective. Eating is so anti-stress and I experienced insatiable hunger for a time after an experience of mold infection and just overall health breakdown, whereas in prior years I was seldom hungry.
yup,

When I was in a heavy EMF environment, not sleeping, and had job stress...I literally ate every hour and if I didn't I felt terrible.

Whenever people talk about how they can go long periods of time without eating with very little effect...they think it is healthy to do this but it's more a sign of low stress then actually getting you anywhere.

gaze

yup,

When I was in a heavy EMF environment, not sleeping, and had job stress...I literally ate every hour and if I didn't I felt terrible.

Whenever people talk about how they can go long periods of time without eating with very little effect...they think it is healthy to do this but it's more a sign of low stress then actually getting you anywhere.

do you think this effect is from an inability of magnesium specifically to get inside the cell from the EMF?

B___Danny

Can anyone provide any proof that overweight people will be better off long term if they intentionally cut calories? This has never been proven. Real life experience shows the exact opposite. Everyone I know who lost weight growing up (men) became anxious, depressed, angry, hormonally wrecked (right now look up any male youtuber/celebrity who forced themselves to lose 50-100 pounds. they almost all have an unbalanced voice) or any combination of those. Literally, ask anyone who lost weight (especially in their developmental years- till 25) if they ever suffer from anxiety, depression, bad hormones, and the answer will almost always be yes.

And instead of using the word fasting, just replace it with starving. they are synonyms. it will end the discussion much quicker.

mrchibbs

Dairy is 25% of the Dutch diet.

I think this holds true in scandinavian countries as well.

I know several people with a very high intake of dairy. My grandma is 85-86 and while she's had an accident and broke her hip, and a few other health problems, she's exactly as witty as she's ever been, with absolutely no loss of mental function. And she still walks on her own.

Her main foods are 0% milk, yogurt, cheese and bread.

opson123

so has anyone actually met someone in real life who uses milk and cheese as the staple of their diet?
My parents eat a lot of lactose free skim milk and cheese, usually paired with rye bread. Milk after every meal. They eat other dairy products as well.

ursidae

so has anyone actually met someone in real life who uses milk and cheese as the staple of their diet?
My Scottish roommate. She lives on cream, cheese, butter, milk, commercial fruit juices, white potatoes, cantaloupe/grapes. Ice cream in the evening, some carrots, pasta and mince. peatiest person I’ve met and its not even intentional. She’s overweight but with a slim face and the body has an hourglass shape. Quite intelligent, quite irritable, a bit aggressive.

mrchibbs

My Scottish roommate. She lives on cream, cheese, butter, milk, commercial fruit juices, white potatoes, cantaloupe/grapes. Ice cream in the evening, some carrots, pasta and mince. peatiest person I’ve met and its not even intentional. She’s overweight but with a slim face and the body has an hourglass shape. Quite intelligent, quite irritable, a bit aggressive.

That made me laugh! Clearly some roommate issues happening haha

ursidae

That made me laugh! Clearly some roommate issues happening haha
It was a high EMF mouldy building. Everyone deteriorated mentally and physically but she held up best. That’s one more thing that got me hooked on peat. Eating like her backfired on me though which goes to show we’re all different.

mrchibbs

It was a high EMF mouldy building. Everyone deteriorated mentally and physically but she held up best. That’s one more thing that got me hooked on peat. Eating like her backfired on me though which goes to show we’re all different.

That we are.

mrchibbs

How is your acne? Have you received the TocoVit?

ursidae

How is your acne? Have you received the TocoVit?
Yeah. I use it every day and also got camphosal and use that too. It’s worse than ever since I started eating cheese and drank a single glass of milk. I think it’s time to invest in allergy testing

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals