New research suggests MAO-A regulates dopamine, not MAO-B.

Charger

Surprised this hadn't been posted yet.

This research seems to imply MAO-B inhibitors function moreso as GABA antagonists and MAO-A is responsible for degradation of dopamine.

@haidut
@Hans
@Lokzo

Last edited:

Hans

Forum Supporter

This research seems to imply MAO-B inhibitors function moreso as GABA antagonists and MAO-A is responsible for degradation of dopamine.

@haidut
@Hans
@Lokzo
Yes, I've seen that research. Most of the MAO-A inhibitor anti-depressants increase dopamine as well. Not sure it's via a direct increase or through MAO-Ai. I haven't posted it yet because I've been waiting for more research on it.

haidut

Forum Supporter

@haidut
@Hans
@Lokzo

The fact that all MAO-A inhibitors can (and often do) cause serotonin syndrome even when used in strictly prescribed doses/regimens, while almost none of the MAO-B inhibitors do, is a pretty solid evidence against the claims in this study.

KennethKaniff

The fact that all MAO-A inhibitors can (and often do) cause serotonin syndrome even when used in strictly prescribed doses/regimens, while almost none of the MAO-B inhibitors do, is a pretty solid evidence against the claims in this study.
I am not sure what serotonin syndrome has to do with the claims of the study. The claim isn’t that MAO-B is responsible for degradation of serotonin. It’s that most dopamine is degraded by MAO-A, not MAO-B.

Frankdee20

I am not sure what serotonin syndrome has to do with the claims of the study. The claim isn’t that MAO-B is responsible for degradation of serotonin. It’s that most dopamine is degraded by MAO-A, not MAO-B.
But less dopamine means less polarity against serotonin

cs3000

something interesting:
i tested inhibiting mao-a & some mao-b using a decent amount of pepper. and got hit with a familiar f*cked up out of it state i used to feel on a similar level.
said out loud "man, i actually feel autistic right now wtf". turns out looking it up afterwards low levels of MAO-A has a link to autism

Aggressive Behavior and Altered Amounts of Brain Serotonin and Norepinephrine in Mice Lacking MAOA

Cloning, after cloning, knock-out mice, and physiological functions of MAO A and B

From aggression to autism: new perspectives on the behavioral sequelae of monoamine oxidase deficiency

Last edited: