New OJ at Whole Foods Is Sweeter

Dr. B

I agree with your rank of grocery store OJ. Whole foods organic OJ by far the best amongst grocery chains and Costco a close second.

I've also noticed the quality and taste has gone down with both Whole Foods and Costco OJ post-pandemic lockdown. Before the lockdown, you would walk down the grocery aisle in Costco and you could spot the difference from the organic OJ versus the non-organic in color. Now both are the same light orange color, almost yellow. So now i stick to Whole Foods organic OJ.

oh no, i think it is the exact same juice, like if you poured the costco orange juice in the whole foods bottle it should taste similar. the whole foods organic OJ in the paper cartons is actually the worse of the 3, IMO. I have been using the whole foods and costco OJ for nearly a year and a half and tastewise they have been the same, not sure about the color.

equipoise

The OJ season is finished here in Europe and that means no more OJ for me til winter. I'm totally okay with this right.

We're gonna have strawberries, apricots, melons, watermelons, tons of fruit really. I'd never drink the store bought stuff anymore, I never feel a difference when having store bought OJ. Atleast not the kind I can get here, and I've tried everything. There's no such thing as frozen concentrate that Peat mentions and even the highest quality organic juice pales in comparison to fresh squeezed from actual ripe oranges. So thanks but no thanks.

Dr. B

The OJ season is finished here in Europe and that means no more OJ for me til winter. I'm totally okay with this right.

We're gonna have strawberries, apricots, melons, watermelons, tons of fruit really. I'd never drink the store bought stuff anymore, I never feel a difference when having store bought OJ. Atleast not the kind I can get here, and I've tried everything. There's no such thing as frozen concentrate that Peat mentions and even the highest quality organic juice pales in comparison to fresh squeezed from actual ripe oranges. So thanks but no thanks.

do you think it is the pasteurization process that messes with the orange juice, or long term storage in a plastic bottle which maybe leeches some of the plastic particles into the juice? in the US some stores offer a fresh squeezed organic orange juice. with that option available wouldnt it be the same thing whether you juice your own or get the stores fresh OJ?

equipoise

do you think it is the pasteurization process that messes with the orange juice, or long term storage in a plastic bottle which maybe leeches some of the plastic particles into the juice? in the US some stores offer a fresh squeezed organic orange juice. with that option available wouldnt it be the same thing whether you juice your own or get the stores fresh OJ?
Sure, no problems there if the oranges are fresh squeezed. i think vitamin C gets nuked by bottles sitting on shelves and any potential benefits disappear. might aswell drink the sugar water. its also reliably one of the few rare things that will bloat me up.

we had these washington oranges this whole season, sun ripened. and they are the real thing. good oranges are expensive tho, but you still save up cause a quart of proper OJ is so healing