New Here, Grape Seed Extract Discussion

Well I had a horrid drug reaction when i used grapefruit seed extract- took months for it to go away so be cautious. i know this thread is talking about grape seed extract which may be distinguishable but i see them used interchangeably all the time. I had a rash all over my body and a red band about three inches wide above my pubic area that stretched across my hips. It was horrible. Be cautious.
Yes, grapefruit seed extract is different than grape seed extract. Grape seed extract comes from grape seeds. Grapefruit seed extract supposedly comes from grapefruit seeds but I’ve heard the commercial grapefruit seed ( the one in the squeeze bottle) has other stuff in it which is toxic.

However, grape seed extract is da bomb IMO. Because it does so many good things.

I've been taking 400 mg for a few days (+ allicin) and it's a weird experience. I feel extremely lethargic and my body feels heavy, but in a sort of pleasant, relaxing way. At first I thought my cortisol had tanked for some reason. I'm suspecting I might be inadvertently lowering my BP too much so might have to back off on some of these herbs.
Grape seed extract is supposed to lower cortisol too.

ironfist

when you say take bodyweight do you mean lbs in mg? So if you weigh one hundred pounds you take one hundred milligrams?

June

I have heard Grape seed extract can lower estrogen but some others are saying it can raise estrogen depending on COMT genes. I read this article and it concerned me. Any thoughts?

"Breast cancer-related effects of consuming grape seed oil

No population studies are available that specifically investigated associations between grape seed oil consumption and risk of breast cancer. There is evidence from experiments using either carcinogen-induced or transplanted animal mammary tumor models, as well as in vitro studies, which demonstrate that linoleic acid, the primary fatty acid in grape seed oil, promotes mammary tumor development. Generally speaking, this effect has not been verified by human studies. However, one 2008 study found that women with a specific genotype (ALOX5AP −4900 A > G polymorphism) who consumed a significant amount of linoleic acid in their diets had an increased risk of breast cancer.

Grape seed compound gallic acid has been shown to increase the effectiveness of Taxol chemotherapy in hormone receptor positive (ER+/PR+) breast cancer cells.

Grape seed oil is a good source of the gamma-tocotrienol form of vitamin E, which has been shown to inhibit important steps in the metastasis of both ER+/PR+ and triple negative (ER-/PR-/HER2-) breast cancer cells. Gamma-tocotrienol has also been found to enhance the toxic effects of Adriamycin in ER+/PR+ breast cancer cells. In addition, gamma-tocotrienol has been shown to reverse multi-drug resistance in ER+/PR+ breast cancer cells."

Dave Clark

Most of the info I have read regarding grape seed extract and hormones, is that it is an aromatase inhibitor. Some say it is good for that, others say that it isn't.
However, whether it is a good aromatase inhibitor, it has other valuable health effects, and although from a seed, the refined, purified product does not have PUFA in it:

kselfridge

Forum Supporter
I’m new here too. I’ve been taking GSE for a while, not as long as you, maybe less than a year and it’s really great for mood. I was worried that it might be a stilbene but I don’t think that it is. It’s one of my favorites too. I also feel like it helps my concentration.