New Here, Day Three Of Insatiable Hunger

• Thread starter Deleted member 5487
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5487

I recently switched over to Ray peats diet after about 8 months of low carbs. I am almost certain I fried my thyroid and adrenals. Last semester in college I had horrific fatigue and cold hands/feet. I also developed a intolerance to many grains/diary/eggs which showed up in test of IgG( Validity of these tests are a question in scientific community,please expand if you have the knowledge).

This is my third day on the diet and am ALWAYS hungry. My energy is up 5x fold and and my body composition and libido is already taking a turn. My body needed carbs for the last 8 months and I havn't been feeding them.

Background: Former football player, lean, lots of muscle mass, walking several miles a day to and from campus lifting 3-4 times a week. So I need energy/protein.

8:30- Handful of cheddar cheese and an apple
10:15- Half a chicken breast( not protocol all I have right now) Orange juice big glass+Geleatin
12:45- Half a chicken breast, handful of dates, orange juice+gelatin
2:00- Cheese, milk, two handful of dates.

And I am still hungry!?

Where do I go from here? What alteration do I need to make beside the chicken breast.

Thanks, trying to get through the ray peats diet learning curve.

Any advice is welcome.

M

member 2106

No starch? I also get insatiably hungry without rice, potatoes, etc.

tara

:welcome Amarsh213
This is my third day on the diet and am ALWAYS hungry. My energy is up 5x fold and and my body composition and libido is already taking a turn.
:)
10:15- Half a chicken breast( not protocol all I have right now) Orange juice big glass+Geleatin

And I am still hungry!?
Doesn't look like much, given you are a physically active and growing growing young man, and probably half-starved on top of that? But maybe that is just your running total for the day, and you are still going strong?
One apple doesn't look like much carbs for breakfast, and maybe not enough to balance the protein in the cheese.
Have you run that through cronometer or similar to see roughly what nutrition you are getting from your food? (I'd suggest ignoring their calorie recommendations - they are into restriction for weight-loss, and tend to advise low calorie diets.)

Probably no-one can tell you exactly what you need/what will work best for you - you get to watch for what seems to be working. May take your system a while to readapt to some changes.

Consider trying a serving of liver weekly, in some form you can enjoy (look up recipes - freshness is one of the biggest factors from my PoV).

I don't know about the validity of those allergy tests. If you get bad symptoms from a particular food, that seems like good grounds to back of it, and maybe try a small amount again later together with other food you handle well. Some people have apparently improved their ability to benefit from milk by gradually increasing it from very small quantities. (Personally I seem to only handle smallish amounts.)

Dates seem to work for some people, but not all. For me, I can make use of a few occasionally as a stop gap, but they don't seem to serve me well as a staple. (Potatoes and apple juice work better for me.)

Constatine

Being unnecessarily hungry is often a sign your lacking some nutrients. Eat what you crave and eat nutrient dense foods. Its also a good sign that your metabolism is coming online as people get used to under-eating then are surprised by how hungry they are when the metabolism returns to normal. In my opinion eating a vast variety of food is the way to go (as long as the foods are healthy of course). Try fitting in some different fruits, mushrooms (Ray Peat loves mushrooms), non-muscle meats (liver, bone marrow, etc), oysters, and coconut based products. Its really difficult to incorporate everything but if you have the time and energy eating the whole spectrum of the Peat-friendly diet is very beneficial.

OP
D

Deleted member 5487

Being unnecessarily hungry is often a sign your lacking some nutrients. Eat what you crave and eat nutrient dense foods. Its also a good sign that your metabolism is coming online as people get used to under-eating then are surprised by how hungry they are when the metabolism returns to normal. In my opinion eating a vast variety of food is the way to go (as long as the foods are healthy of course). Try fitting in some different fruits, mushrooms (Ray Peat loves mushrooms), non-muscle meats (liver, bone marrow, etc), oysters, and coconut based products. Its really difficult to incorporate everything but if you have the time and energy eating the whole spectrum of the Peat-friendly diet is very beneficial.

Thanks for the input

Birdie

The apple. Ray says cook em to reduce pectin and make more digestible. I make applesauce. A raw apple makes me hungry every time and it lasts.

In addition to other foods:
I drink milk off and on all day and that keeps my blood sugar from dropping and keeps me from feeling that horrible hunger. Milk with coffee and sugar.

sele

While on low carb your body runs on fatty acids.
Switching to glucose oxidation needs a little help.
Fatty acids cause insulin issues and glycemia and crazy hunger.
Try biotin and riboflavin.
Try 1:2= protein:sugar.
Good luck @Amarsh213

Pointless

While on low carb your body runs on fatty acids.
Switching to glucose oxidation needs a little help.
Fatty acids cause insulin issues and glycemia and crazy hunger.
Try biotin and riboflavin.
Try 1:2= protein:sugar.
Good luck @Amarsh213

Also niacinamide. Investing in Energin from idealabs.com might be wise until you restore your insulin sensitivity if that's a problem(can't say for sure from your post.)

I used to be ravenously hungry for junk food, especially carbs. My whole life, really. Now that I eat Peaty, I feel full on less. I don't get the same kind of cravings. I just know I need calories.

Your diet is lacking in calories. Don't be afraid to eat until satiated. Some have done 10,000 calorie days.

walker_in_aus

Hi! I had the same thing, about a week of insatiable hunger. Just eat, you are switching to running faster and warmer so naturally you will need to eat more. Your list of food is sad and smol, I am a 29 year old lazy female and I eat twice as much a day (not really chicken much). My weight gain was only about 15 pounds which isn't too bad for how sick I was, and now I'm losing without starving with a few tweaks.

Also I know people on here go on about low fat, but keep in mind the crazy dogma of low carb and what it did. You still need some fat. Eat some cheese, cook your chicken in some butter. Help the crazy hunger! Your body probably isn't healthy enough to make cholesterol out of carbs just yet!

I recently switched over to Ray peats diet after about 8 months of low carbs. I am almost certain I fried my thyroid and adrenals. Last semester in college I had horrific fatigue and cold hands/feet. I also developed a intolerance to many grains/diary/eggs which showed up in test of IgG( Validity of these tests are a question in scientific community,please expand if you have the knowledge).

This is my third day on the diet and am ALWAYS hungry. My energy is up 5x fold and and my body composition and libido is already taking a turn. My body needed carbs for the last 8 months and I havn't been feeding them.

Background: Former football player, lean, lots of muscle mass, walking several miles a day to and from campus lifting 3-4 times a week. So I need energy/protein.

And I am still hungry!?

Where do I go from here? What alteration do I need to make beside the chicken breast.

Thanks, trying to get through the ray peats diet learning curve.

Any advice is welcome.
I had a similar experience, until I added raw honey to the mix, a big spoonful with a half glass of raw milk when I am feeling hungry between meals.