New Book : **** Portion Control From Nathan Guy Hatch

Dobbler

I dont understand why he doesnt sell it as an ebook aswell? Its much cheaper for everyone to sell it as an ebook lol and he'd probably get alot more sales aswell, i aint gonna order a book to europe when delivery is 15 dollars and customs is 30+

Runenight201

I too am confused by his price point. Especially for an author who is publishing his first book and does not have much renowed credibility (besides this forum, possibly others idk about), I think 29.99 is a steep price to set it at. I liked his knowledge, how he wrote, and was curious to see what ideas he’d have in his book, but 29.99 was far too steep. 15 is about as high as I’d go, and I think 9.99 would be a fair entry. Matt stone (who in terms of background I’d equate Nate to) gave his book away for free, and I’m sure got much more business in terms of personal coaching (if he even did that) then if he were to set his eat to heat book at 30 bucks.

Last edited:

Jsaute21

I too am confused by his price point. Especially for an author who is publishing his first book and does not have much renowed credibility (besides this forum, possibly others idk about), I think 29.99 is a steep price to set it at. I liked his knowledge, how he wrote, and was curious to see what ideas he’d have in his book, but 29.99 was far too steep. 15 is about as high as I’d go, and I think 9.99 would be a fair entry. Matt stone (who in terms of background I’d equate Nate to) gave his book away for free, and I’m sure got much more business in terms of personal coaching (if he even did that) then if he were to set his eat to beat book at 30 bucks.
I too was shocked by the price and a had a hard time ordering it. In the end, I caved and bought it. The price is too high, plain and simple for any book IMO. However, I wouldn't equate Nate's book to Matt Stone's for a couple of reasons. Matt Stone (who is a tremendous writer) does not appear to be nearly as versed in the scientific aspects of nutrition as Nate. Though there aren't many references and sources contained in his book, his knowledge and advice are very sound. He outlines very achievable and simple methods for improving ones health such as sodium acetate, strategic supplementation etc. I have found the book to be very helpful for staying at an elevated level of health, or improving ones health. Other than Haidut, he is by far the most knowledgeable and practical person i have come across regarding the endocrine system.

Amazoniac

Ray Peat

FROM PMS TO MENOPAUSE: FEMALE HORMONES IN CONTEXT
$12 plus $3.00 shipping.

PROGESTERONE IN ORTHOMOLECULAR MEDICINE.
$6 plus $3.00 shipping.

GENERATIVE ENERGY: PROTECTING AND RESTORING THE WHOLENESS OF LIFE.
$10 plus $3.00 shipping.

MIND AND TISSUE: RUSSIAN RESEARCH PERSPECTIVES ON THE HUMAN BRAIN.
$10 plus $3.00 shipping.

NUTRITION FOR THE WOMENS
$10 plus $3.00 shipping.​

Speaking of Matt Stone, what Nathan has missed is that it's much better to have 30 happy readers paying $10, than 10 paying $30. The chances of attracting new readers in underpricing are much higher, you'll have way more people benefitting from the information and getting the word out.

I have the impression that Rakesh didn't have this is mind, he's just a noble character that doesn't want to rip off people.

Selling only a physical product is also puzzling. If it's due to preference, people better get used to paper being abolished for good any time soon. If it's out of insecurity of having the product copied and shared without permission, it's unjustified. No matter how great his book is, it's not going to be a Harry Potter in which he won't be able to control illegal means of propagation: it's easy for him to get to the source just like it is for the reader looking for a free online copy.

And what's the worse that can happen? People improving their lives and him losing some dollars? Individual conferences must be the major source of money anyway. It's a missed opportunity to not have readers reviewing it on a broader online platform such as my store.

If the information is good, people will ask you how to contribute, similar to what happens with Trawi.

People have to detach from their precious, just like the parent that has to accept that the children is not his controllable extension.
Fritz: "One no longer loves one's knowledge sufficiently after one has communicated it."
You can't stop half-way.

I just want to make it clear that this has nothing to do with the fact that Netherlands is the best place to live.

Last edited:

Runenight201

Ray Peat
I just want to make it clear that this has nothing to do with the fact that Netherlands is the best place to live.

Throwing me off here in relation to the rest of your comment lol and makes me think that something you said does have something to do with Netherlands being a country where the quality of life is higher....

Amazoniac

Throwing me off here in relation to the rest of your comment lol and makes me think that something you said does have something to do with Netherlands being a country where the quality of life is higher....
Indeed. If I'm not wrong we're thinking of abolishing banknotes. I don't know which country it was that is also considering discouraging printing in academy (or something like that), probably Norway or Sweden. Unfortunately now instead of printing on paper, people are printing plastics.

But I suggest all buyers of his products to pay him this way by mail: :moneybag:

Last edited:

jacob

but 29.99 was far too steep. 15 is about as high as I’d go, and I think 9.99 would be a fair entry.

Nathan used to offer all of his content for free on his blog where thousands of people read his work yet no one donated money to his site. Meanwhile, many people on this forum spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on supplements every year.

As mentioned above, Nathan is extremely knowledgeable. The $30 price tag is well worth the entry price for anyone that's interested in this work.

Dobbler

But what is his reasoning against selling it ALSO as an ebook? 30 dollars gets very expensive with 15 dollar shipping + 30 dollar customs payment.

Arrade

I think it makes him look more credible selling a book, especially a hard copy.
The book is pretty big, he also updated it recently though I haven't checked out the update

vulture

But what is his reasoning against selling it ALSO as an ebook? 30 dollars gets very expensive with 15 dollar shipping + 30 dollar customs payment.
What about copying? Copying digital stuff might be a lot easier

Amazoniac

Looks like his book is available as an eBook now.
Cool! It must be a good book, I never came across anyone who regretted the purchase.

Nathan, if you're reading this, I suggest you to round the price to $30. I know the psychological impact is real but you don't need to play tricks on people, your content is great and speaks for itself. If some gurus aren't willing to buy the book because of a $0.05 difference, it's better not to have them as readers anyway. And if you insist on this strategy, at least decrease it to $28 so that the person can actually read the book while drinking a San Pellegrino water.

nathanhatch.com will be your website in the future, believe me. I think I'm going to register the domain just to sell it to you later for a higher price.

The last time I visited your website, there was a list of supplements. Molybdenum will be moved to 'Beneficial but use with caution', believe me as well.

InChristAlone

I'm loving his book so far. Also be aware he will give you a copy of the ebook for free if you bought the hard copy already if you email him.
I'm seeing one inconsistency, on one of his old posts here on the forum he mentions boron as increasing estrogen which I had agreed with, I never liked the way I felt from it. But he talks about it in the book favorably.

"It is clear to me that a boron deficiency also promotes gut dysbiosis because a boron deficiency increases the activity of the enzyme vitamin D 24-hydroxylase, whose purpose it is to destroy vitamin D.....

Boron's absence also causes sex hormone activity to decline, and since hormone status effects gut health, boron likely helps regulate gut microbe composition to some degree....

Boron boosts the sex drive, feelings of relaxation, promotes other desirable outcomes and will definitely help prevent kidney stones."

Interesting, I may try it again. I just don't like supplementing minerals willy nilly.

Amazoniac

What about copying? Copying digital stuff might be a lot easier
This is an attempt to contain a tidal wave with a fan, but not holding it like a kid that's just standing still waiting for the adult's reaction, holding it in a fighting stance as if there was a chance.

It's like saying that we shouldn't switch to electric vehicles because their battery is polluting.

Last edited:

Runenight201

This is an attempt to contain a tidal wave with a fan, but not holding it like a kid that's just standing still waiting for the adult's reaction, holding it in a fighting stance as if there was a chance.

It's like saying that we shouldn't switch to electric vehicles because their battery is polluting.

I think I’m turning into a thread pirate, but to be fair, unless more of the energy generation comes from renewable sources, switching to electric cars holds no impact on the global environment.

It would however improve smog conditions in cities, provided that the coal burning factories are far away.

Runenight201

I think I’m turning into a thread pirate, but to be fair, unless more of the energy generation comes from renewable sources, electric cars holds no beneficialimpact on the global environment.

It will however improve smog conditions in cities, provided that the coal burning factories are far away.

Amazoniac

I think I’m turning into a thread pirate, but to be fair, unless more of the energy generation comes from renewable sources, electric cars holds no beneficialimpact on the global environment.

It will however improve smog conditions in cities, provided that the coal burning factories are far away.
Raj said:
My view of the energy saving light bulbs is that putting a cork in the plug saves more energy (and doesn't contain mercury).

Runenight201

Ah true, I didn’t think about which is more energy efficient, the gas motor or the electric motor, but then we have to account for transmission of the electrical energy from the coal plant to the electrical charge station. But the same holds true for the gasoline combusted to drive the oil from the refineries to the gas station.

Someone has probably written a paper on this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals