New Animal In The Zoo. Deuterium-reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids

There is a Russian called Mikhail Shchepinov, director of Retrotope, a biotech company based in Los Altos, California trying to invent something new. Deuterium-reinforced polyunsaturated fatty acids. My knowledge is not that advanced to support this idea or call it a scam. I would like to here opinions please.

Pill of super-protective 'heavy' fat may be key to eternal youth
Pill of super-protective 'heavy' fat may be key to eternal youth

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/549af14ae4b004237f7bb71a/t/5a0e9b34f9619ae289674a72/1510906676646/FEBSJ-2017.pdf
Deuterium-reinforced polyunsaturated fatty acids improve cognition in a mouse model of sporadic Alzheimer’s disease

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28655430
Deuterium-reinforced polyunsaturated fatty acids protect against atherosclerosis by lowering lipid peroxidation and hypercholesterolemia.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29933522
Deuterium-reinforced linoleic acid lowers lipid peroxidation and mitigates cognitive impairment in the Q140 knock in mouse model of Huntington's disease.

Deuterated Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reduce Oxidative Stress and Extend the Lifespan of C. elegans
Deuterated Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reduce Oxidative Stress and Extend the Lifespan of C. elegans

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/47458790_Isotope-Reinforced_Polyunsaturated_Fatty_Acids_Protect_Yeast_Cells_from_Oxidative_Stress
Isotope-Reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Protect Yeast Cells from Oxidative Stress

Small Amounts of Isotope-reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Suppress Lipid Autoxidation
Small Amounts of Isotope-reinforced Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Suppress Lipid Autoxidation

OP
methylenewhite
FDA Clears Commencement of INAD Phase 2/3 Clinical Trial
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cleared commencement for Retrotope’s open-label phase 2/3 clinical trial of its investigational drug RT001 to evaluate its efficacy and safety in patients with infantile neuroaxonal dystrophy (INAD).

Kartoffel

Madness and Stupidity. I hear deuterated cyanide is also beneficial compared to regular cyanide.

Luming Zhou

There was not "control" group in almost all of the studies. They tested either regular or deuterated PUFAs. However, there was one study which included a control diet of monounsaturated fats and they have found that deuterated PUFAs are no better than monounsaturated fats.

In contrast, coq mutants treated with monounsaturated oleic acid or with one of the deuterated PUFAs, 11,11-D(2)-linoleic or 11,11,14,14-D(4)-α-linolenic acid, retain viability similar to wild-type yeast
However, it does not matter if a study shows that monounsaturated fats have the same effect as deuterated PUFAs. Deuterated PUFAs would still be promoted over MUFAs as a treatment because drug companies have so much power. Deuterated PUFAs could be patented, unlike saturated and monousaturated fats. Because deuterated PUFAs could be patented, it would be profitable to market/advertise deuterated PUFAs as "healthy" over other types of fats or a low-fat diet. There would be advertisements for deuterated PUFAs and not monounsaturated fats.

Drug companies spend far more on marketing their drugs than research and development. Drug companies earn money from patents. Then they spend the money they earned from their patents to advertise their drug. The advertisements convince more people to take their drugs, making the companies richer. Then they will spend the new money on even more advertisements on their drugs. This becomes a vicious cycle. This is a side effect of the patent system. Get rid of the patent system, drug companies would not have the money to spend on marketing or lobbying their drugs; natural and nutritional treatments would become more popular.

Miso

I asked Dr Peat a couple of months ago about this D-PUFA and deuterium depletion, he only commented on the D-depletion part, but here’s the email exchange anyways; i believe Haidut commented on Retrotope in most recent podcast with Danny as well.
If D-PUFAs do indeed interfere with lipid peroxidation as shown in early studies, then many conditions (including aging) could benefit from it. Since there isn’t any concrete data on long-term effects or complete understanding of the reaction kinetics and knockon effects in the human body, it’s still speculative on role they could play in health, but worth keeping an eye on it.

“Hi Dr Peat,
I'm currently diving into Deuterium research and fascinated by it; on the one hand, high Deuterium appears to impact metabolism overtime by "jamming" ATP synthase- so it would be prudent to keep deuterium content in body low.
I recall in one of your interviews you mentioned deuterium depleted water, and I want to give it a try (there's a new USA based supply offering 25ppm at better price than the ones from EU suppliers).
In terms of Deuterium content in foods, there's a push for Ketogenic type diets to help deplete it, Center of Deuterium Depletion in CA recommends reducing intake of carbohydrates, specially fruits as they believe that's where Deuterium gets pushed into. Short of moving into high altitude regions, is there any legitimate concerns about reducing carbs to avoid excess Deuterium?
On the flip side, there's investigation around using Deuterated PUFAs to prevent lipid peroxidation damage from propagating. Looks like a drug is under development using D-PUFAs against neurodegenerative conditions. What are your thoughts on using D-PUFAs as a weapon against oxidative stress? Also, would be interesting if Deuterium played a beneficial role during mead acid production.”

Dr Peat
“I think beet sugar from areas east of the Rockies is likely to be low deuterium, since more will be rained out enroute from the ocean. I think a similar process of reducing deuterium is likely to be involved in producing fruit and milk, since the aging organism accumulates deuterium; young tissues are better than old tissues. I think LG Boros talks nonsense.”

RealNeat

I asked Dr Peat a couple of months ago about this D-PUFA and deuterium depletion, he only commented on the D-depletion part, but here’s the email exchange anyways; i believe Haidut commented on Retrotope in most recent podcast with Danny as well.
If D-PUFAs do indeed interfere with lipid peroxidation as shown in early studies, then many conditions (including aging) could benefit from it. Since there isn’t any concrete data on long-term effects or complete understanding of the reaction kinetics and knockon effects in the human body, it’s still speculative on role they could play in health, but worth keeping an eye on it.

“Hi Dr Peat,
I'm currently diving into Deuterium research and fascinated by it; on the one hand, high Deuterium appears to impact metabolism overtime by "jamming" ATP synthase- so it would be prudent to keep deuterium content in body low.
I recall in one of your interviews you mentioned deuterium depleted water, and I want to give it a try (there's a new USA based supply offering 25ppm at better price than the ones from EU suppliers).
In terms of Deuterium content in foods, there's a push for Ketogenic type diets to help deplete it, Center of Deuterium Depletion in CA recommends reducing intake of carbohydrates, specially fruits as they believe that's where Deuterium gets pushed into. Short of moving into high altitude regions, is there any legitimate concerns about reducing carbs to avoid excess Deuterium?
On the flip side, there's investigation around using Deuterated PUFAs to prevent lipid peroxidation damage from propagating. Looks like a drug is under development using D-PUFAs against neurodegenerative conditions. What are your thoughts on using D-PUFAs as a weapon against oxidative stress? Also, would be interesting if Deuterium played a beneficial role during mead acid production.”

Dr Peat
“I think beet sugar from areas east of the Rockies is likely to be low deuterium, since more will be rained out enroute from the ocean. I think a similar process of reducing deuterium is likely to be involved in producing fruit and milk, since the aging organism accumulates deuterium; young tissues are better than old tissues. I think LG Boros talks nonsense.”

This is really interesting id like to know more about this. Ive listened to a lot of Jack Kruse and the Luke Storey podcast talk about deuterium and im very intrigued by it. The whole "avoid carbs" thing is tripping me up though. Wouldnt the byproduct of cellular metabolism produce D depleted water regardless? Also a speculation that tap water, out of season foods grown in odd regions also gives way to this unnatural deuterium level. RP says that the younger fruit has less D but Ive heard the opposite that growing things have more D and they also later accumulate D and become less efficient in mitochondrial function. Maybe hes talking about relative levels, meaning fresh food will have less deuterium than old food. I also remember hearing that healthy indivuals dont need to worry too much about deuterium in food but the ones with chronic diseases need a depleting program to get them on par, metabolically speaking. Idk let me know if you guys have any more clarity.

RealNeat

Here is a quote forum Doris' articles on Deuterium. An interesting take. Id like anyone educated on the topic to chime in please!
Deuterium 101: Chapter 3, Microbiome

"The human microbiome is made up largely of bacteria with a small population of fungi. Most of the bacteria in our microbiome are heterotrophs and are commensal, other bacteria like chemotrophs are usually considered to be pathogenic, and have been shown to exhibit increasing antibiotic resistances. The genes in our microbiome outnumber the genes in our genome by about 100 to 1.

Study after study demonstrated that there is deuterium enrichment in the fatty acids of heterotrophic bacteria and deuterium depletion in chemotrophic bacteria.

Look at this chart [18] Fatty acids produced by heterotrophs are enriched in deuterium between +82‰ and +359‰ when grown on glucose or acetate respectively, while chemotrophs are depleted in deuterium from - 217‰ to -275‰ when grown on glucose or acetate, respectively.

Let’s get this straight. Heterotrophs = deuterium enrichment, and chemotrophs = deuterium depletion? Correct.

Heterotrophs become seriously enriched in deuterium when they are fed fats while chemotrophs become more depleted in deuterium when they are fed fats? Correct also!"

FULL ARTICLES:

Chapter 1. Measuring Deuterium Deuterium 101: Chapter 1, Measuring Deuterium

Chapter 2. You Are What You Eat Deuterium 101: Chapter 2, You Are What You Eat!

Chapter 4, Quantum Paradox, Light Water & Magnetism is now live: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/deut...-light-water-magnetism-doris-loh/?published=t

Chapter 5. Deuterium, Secret of Yucatan. Light, Water & Magnetism Part 2. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/deuterium-secret-yucatán-doris-loh/

Chapter 6. Mitochondria - Deuterium Depletion in a 5G World

Last edited:

Beastmode

I had asked Ray about something I heard on a podcast claiming that REM sleep helps deplete deuterium levels. I believe it was Ben Greenfield's podcast.

Ray:
"The body can’t eliminate deuterium, except by diluting it when pure H2O is taken in.

Me:
"Have you experimented with this? Or is it more of a strategy eating certain foods that are low (i.e- young fruits I believe, etc.)"

Ray:
"The exchange of deuterium is slow—it slows the metabolic processes that would eliminate it; it’s like the process of aging."

It's interesting in Chapter 2 in the link above on how the glucose diet depleted the deuterium levels the most for the E coli.

Also from the same chapter on how altitude, latitude, rain during winter compared to summer, etc effects deuterium levels.