Nettle tea

I don't know about Peat's perspective, but nettle tea has served me well over the last ten years. I originally took it to rid myself of gray hair and then took it as needed to lower high histamine symptoms. Recently reading up on it, I found it is in good company in a list of many other "peaty" things, in the link below.

OP
hazel

hazel

No conozco la perspectiva de Peat, pero el té de ortiga me ha servido bien durante los últimos diez años. Originalmente lo tomé para deshacerme de las canas y luego lo tomé según fuera necesario para reducir los síntomas altos de histamina. Al leerlo recientemente, descubrí que está en buena compañía en una lista de muchas otras cosas "turbias", en el enlace de abajo.

[URL unfurl = "true"] Redirect Notice estrógeno-después-del-primer-bocado / amp / [/ URL]
thanks a lot ?

OP
hazel

hazel

how much in a day? im thinking about a cup of 5gr

how much in a day? im thinking about a cup of 5gr
I take the capsules once in a while for histamine issues or for some vitamin K. I don't know how strong the capsules are compared to the tea. The link below has some interesting reading on nettle and vitamin K.

OP
hazel

hazel

Tomo las cápsulas de vez en cuando por problemas de histamina o por un poco de vitamina K. No sé qué tan fuertes son las cápsulas en comparación con el té. El siguiente enlace tiene una lectura interesante sobre la ortiga y la vitamina K.

[URL unfurl = "true"] Vitamin K in nettle - what is it all about? - Nôgel [/ URL]

Tomo las cápsulas de vez en cuando por problemas de histamina o por un poco de vitamina K. No sé qué tan fuertes son las cápsulas en comparación con el té. El siguiente enlace tiene una lectura interesante sobre la ortiga y la vitamina K.

[URL unfurl = "true"] Vitamin K in nettle - what is it all about? - Nôgel [/ URL]
Interesting?

retroactive

I don't know about Peat's perspective, but nettle tea has served me well over the last ten years. I originally took it to rid myself of gray hair and then took it as needed to lower high histamine symptoms. Recently reading up on it, I found it is in good company in a list of many other "peaty" things, in the link below.

Do you like nettle leaf or nettle roof? Thanks!

I have been using the leaves. I like that it is high in vitamin K, which is hard to come avoiding veggies.

Attachments

• 20211231_191254.jpg
    20211231_191254.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 20

GTW

I have a 20x20' patch of nettles. They were growing under sumac, established from seed in straw bedding for animals.
Can use it as you would spinach or other leafy greens, raw or cooked. Freezing, drying, cooking, wilting all inactivate the "urtication."

Kray

I know this discussion has been around elsewhere on the forum about drinking broths, (not sure if it was ever answered) but is an infusion as nutrient-dense as the whole (cooked) nettle plant or capsule form, if I want to drink for general health? Is the broth a safer way (antinutrients in greens)?

Nicole W.

I know this discussion has been around elsewhere on the forum about drinking broths, (not sure if it was ever answered) but is an infusion as nutrient-dense as the whole (cooked) nettle plant or capsule form, if I want to drink for general health? Is the broth a safer way (antinutrients in greens)?
People eat nettles in the spring mostly. I haven’t really heard of any safety issues other than the obvious ones related to getting a rash while harvesting them. Teas and infusions are convenient, and if the fiber is a problem, then the liquid is safer. Infusions are far more nutritious than teas, and I have read that as the infusion cools down and the leaves continue to steep, other nutrients emerge in addition to those that were initially released when the boiling water was first poured over them.

Kray

People eat nettles in the spring mostly. I haven’t really heard of any safety issues other than the obvious ones related to getting a rash while harvesting them. Teas and infusions are convenient, and if the fiber is a problem, then the liquid is safer. Infusions are far more nutritious than teas, and I have read that as the infusion cools down and the leaves continue to steep, other nutrients emerge in addition to those that were initially released when the boiling water was first poured over them.
That makes sense-- infusion. Do you think there is potentially enough B vitamins and calcium via infusion to negate need for supplements, if you drank 1-2 cups per day? I do supplement magnesium but not calcium since I do a lot of dairy, and yet I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to incorporate some other sources of calcium especially, and reduce the amount of calcium foods I get on a daily basis, to minimize fat intake (hard cheeses, yogurt, cottage cheese, full-fat milk).

Nicole W.

That makes sense-- infusion. Do you think there is potentially enough B vitamins and calcium via infusion to negate need for supplements, if you drank 1-2 cups per day? I do supplement magnesium but not calcium since I do a lot of dairy, and yet I wonder if it might not be a bad idea to incorporate some other sources of calcium especially, and reduce the amount of calcium foods I get on a daily basis, to minimize fat intake (hard cheeses, yogurt, cottage cheese, full-fat milk).
I do exactly that, I love dairy but to get the amount of calcium Peat recommends you need to consume a lot of milk, yogurt, cheese. Sometimes I get sick of it so I hedge my bets with Nettle. I also have a few almonds here a d there. A lot of foods contain calcium, you don’t have to relegate yourself to only dairy.

Kray

I do exactly that, I love dairy but to get the amount of calcium Peat recommends you need to consume a lot of milk, yogurt, cheese. Sometimes I get sick of it so I hedge my bets with Nettle. I also have a few almonds here a d there. A lot of foods contain calcium, you don’t have to relegate yourself to only dairy.
Ha- good to know, I'm not alone on that thought! I have bought sprouted almonds on occasion, maybe I will cycle them back in, for variety. Snacking has its limitations, too, insofar as variety goes! ?

amd

"Most people get between 200 and 300 milligrams of oxalates daily. If you’re at risk for kidney stones, sources suggest consuming less than 100 milligrams a day. Doctors may also recommend “low-oxalate diets” of less than 50 milligrams daily for some people."

Almonds - 122mg oxalate per ounce

Skin is high in lectins.

"Almond milk has the highest oxalate concentration, followed by cashew, hazelnut, and soy."

"Analysis of oxalate content in various plant-based milk products discovered the highest oxalate content (68 mg/100 mL) in homemade almond milk, followed by almond yogurt (16.2 mg/100 mL), other almond milks (5.6 to 14.5 mg/100 mL), soy milks and yogurt (1.7 to 3.3 mg/100 mL), and rice milks (<0.8 mg/100 mL)."

"Almonds, Brazil, pine and candle nuts contained high levels of gastric soluble oxalate (492.0–556.8 mg/100 g FW)."

"Almonds, cashew and candle nuts contained higher levels of intestinal soluble oxalate (216–305 mg/100 g FW)."

Kray

"Most people get between 200 and 300 milligrams of oxalates daily. If you’re at risk for kidney stones, sources suggest consuming less than 100 milligrams a day. Doctors may also recommend “low-oxalate diets” of less than 50 milligrams daily for some people."

Almonds - 122mg oxalate per ounce

Skin is high in lectins.

"Almond milk has the highest oxalate concentration, followed by cashew, hazelnut, and soy."

"Analysis of oxalate content in various plant-based milk products discovered the highest oxalate content (68 mg/100 mL) in homemade almond milk, followed by almond yogurt (16.2 mg/100 mL), other almond milks (5.6 to 14.5 mg/100 mL), soy milks and yogurt (1.7 to 3.3 mg/100 mL), and rice milks (<0.8 mg/100 mL)."

"Almonds, Brazil, pine and candle nuts contained high levels of gastric soluble oxalate (492.0–556.8 mg/100 g FW)."

"Almonds, cashew and candle nuts contained higher levels of intestinal soluble oxalate (216–305 mg/100 g FW)."
@fico

Thanks for the good reminder of the basic nature of nuts and seeds, which is why I buy mine soaked or sprouted. Who can say how much antinutrient factors are diminished, as there must be so many variables, but it is a good reminder to eat nuts and seeds sparingly, as they are very nutrient-dense foods.