Nettle Leaf Tea - A Mineral/Vitamin Supplement

rei

It mentions one of the chemical warfare compounds it utilizes is serotonin. What happens to serotonin (and the other mentioned) when boiling into a tea?

OP
Inaut

Inaut

I think the Formic acid/serotonin compound is found in the trichomes (spikes). When the leaves are cooked or dried, so goes the Formic acid.

Last edited:

burtlancast

It's a great medicinal plant, but to say it has no side effects is untrue: it stimulates insulin secretion.

For some people, it will trigger hypoglycemia episodes that can be extremely problematic.

I've known a 30 year old lady who after her very first nettle tea cup went (temporarily) totally blind for a few hours.

Myself i cannot consume nettles as it triggers headaches. And bear in mind those were wild-crafted, not contaminated by air pollution.

Last edited:

cjm

DETERMINATION OF PROTEIN AND MINERAL CONTENTS IN STINGING NETTLE
^sci-hub full link

(Pre-emptive apology for re-hashing anything already covered.)​

Looks like the leaves are the most nutritious (first table).

Anyone care to venture a guess at potential downsides to using the leaves as opposed to the roots? Peat would probably say the roots are safer, less phenols. Some folks are drinking the leaves for the phenols. Me, I'm chasing the minerals! Per the first table, I should stick to the leaves. Curious anyone's personal experience using both.

(I've been brewing the leaves from Traditional Medicinals. I had the most awesome nap right after a 8g cup this week.)​

The roots are lower in protein (second table).

The amino acid profile of the leaves doesn't look bad (third table, different study)

upload_2020-11-19_14-45-23.png

upload_2020-11-19_14-46-52.png

Mineral Properties and Dietary Value of Raw and Processed Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica L.)

Leaf-only analysis.

2.2. Sample Processing
...The edible portion (leaves and tender shoot tips) was weighed, and mean yield was determined by presenting the weight of edible portion as a percentage of total unit mass.​

upload_2020-11-19_14-49-12.png

SOMO

DETERMINATION OF PROTEIN AND MINERAL CONTENTS IN STINGING NETTLE
^sci-hub full link

(Pre-emptive apology for re-hashing anything already covered.)​

Looks like the leaves are the most nutritious (first table).

Anyone care to venture a guess at potential downsides to using the leaves as opposed to the roots? Peat would probably say the roots are safer, less phenols. Some folks are drinking the leaves for the phenols. Me, I'm chasing the minerals! Per the first table, I should stick to the leaves. Curious anyone's personal experience using both.

(I've been brewing the leaves from Traditional Medicinals. I had the most awesome nap right after a 8g cup this week.)​

The roots are lower in protein (second table).

The amino acid profile of the leaves doesn't look bad (third table, different study)

View attachment 20290

View attachment 20291

Mineral Properties and Dietary Value of Raw and Processed Stinging Nettle (Urtica dioica L.)

Leaf-only analysis.

2.2. Sample Processing
...The edible portion (leaves and tender shoot tips) was weighed, and mean yield was determined by presenting the weight of edible portion as a percentage of total unit mass.​

View attachment 20292

Basically, nettles are high in nutrition, high in minerals and have Anti-Estrogenic effects.

This makes them equivalent or superior to kale.

Nicole W.

So, I'm going back to drinking nettle leaf tea and started re-educating my self about its benefits. Just wondering who consumes it and if they've found any lasting benefits? If I recall correctly, @Jennifer and @Blossom consumed it?

I also read something on a board somewhere (looking for studies now) which I found very interesting was that nettle leaves actually help lower lactate in addition to the laundry list of other benefits...

Pound for pound I think we'd be hard pressed to find something that checks so many boxes in the health department and if fiber is an issue, just make a strong brew...

Urtica spp.: Ordinary Plants with Extraordinary Properties

"Supports the liver, kidneys, thyroid, adrenal glands, intestines, bones, tendons, ligaments, blood vessels, etc. It is a natural antihistamine, removes uric acid and dissolves kidney stones. It is rich in vitamins, minerals and trace minerals. It helps to stop diarrhea and bleeding, and is a natural diuretic. The sterols in nettle are anti-inflammatory, immune supporting and dilates blood vessels improving circulation and regulating blood pressure. It is fed to farm animals to increase their growth and give some animals thick healthy coats. Some people also use nettle leaf extract to help restore hair growth and color. Fed to chickens it increases the protein content of their eggs and increases their shell hardness." so says one of my favourite herbalists
I’ve used Nettle tea and infusions for years now. At first, I was using it to combat fatigue and viral infections. Now I use it because it’s enjoyable to have a hot cup of nettle tea. If one is ill or exhausted, it serves as a restorative. Otherwise, it’s acts as a multivitamin and is good for maintaining general health.

Zpol

It can be detrimental to people who have poor liver detoxification function and a partially blocked primary bile sphincter (blockage can occur due to autoimmune issues, inflammation, or deficiency of phosphatidycholine). In these people, the increase of bile flow has nowhere to go and makes them ill.

Sefton10

Basically, nettles are high in nutrition, high in minerals and have Anti-Estrogenic effects.

This makes them equivalent or superior to kale.
I'm thinking of chucking some in when I make bone broth. I don't drink teas as I already get enough fluid through milk and juice, so this could be a good way to get some in.

koky

I'm thinking of chucking some in when I make bone broth. I don't drink teas as I already get enough fluid through milk and juice, so this could be a good way to get some in.
that's what I've been doing in a big pot of oxtail soup - whole plant in cheesecloth

Kray

I’ve used Nettle tea and infusions for years now. At first, I was using it to combat fatigue and viral infections. Now I use it because it’s enjoyable to have a hot cup of nettle tea. If one is ill or exhausted, it serves as a restorative. Otherwise, it’s acts as a multivitamin and is good for maintaining general health.
I was considering the leaf tea as a multivitamin option, too. Is 1-2 cups a day reasonable, and is it best to infuse rather than steep for best nutritional value? If it can cause insulin secretion, would it be best to consume with some food?

Nicole W.

I was considering the leaf tea as a multivitamin option, too. Is 1-2 cups a day reasonable, and is it best to infuse rather than steep for best nutritional value? If it can cause insulin secretion, would it be best to consume with some food?
Yes, the infusion done overnight with about a cup of dried Nettle in a couple cups of boiling water is more nutritious. Lots of minerals but especially calcium. Lots of vitamin K also. Lots of chlorophyl. There are a few monographs on Nettle that you might enjoy.
Here is one: Nettle Monograph - Urtica dioica

I think a glass of the infusion per day would be plenty. I have it over ice with a lemon rind twist.

Kray

Yes, the infusion done overnight with about a cup of dried Nettle in a couple cups of boiling water is more nutritious. Lots of minerals but especially calcium. Lots of vitamin K also. Lots of chlorophyl. There are a few monographs on Nettle that you might enjoy.
Here is one: Nettle Monograph - Urtica dioica

I think a glass of the infusion per day would be plenty. I have it over ice with a lemon rind twist.
Thanks for all that! Lately I am so enjoying the R&R of foods vs supplements. Makes life seem so much simpler and enjoyable IMO. Plus, supplements can come with some problems of their own, and well, they're supplements.

I just ordered 1-lb bulk, but had some tea bags on hand, so I've been enjoying it already, both steeped and infused. The flavor is mild enough you don't need sweetener, but it is good with some honey. I am sure the lemon twist will be so refreshing once summer lands! Thank you again!