Nerve Regeneration

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Nerves are always regenerating, and thyroid, pregnenolone, and progesterone are needed for good development and repair. One kind of exercise that's helpful is to watch a bead on a thread, as you move it from close to your nose to a yard or more away (a yardstick can be used similarly). Visualization exercises with your eyes closed, for example for a few minutes after you wake up in the morning. Watch any visual events that you happen to notice; noticing them will cause them to change. At certain levels of relaxation and arousal, your visual system will show you some of the operating principles, scanning motions, for example. Coffee, thyroid, and progesterone affect the things you will notice with your eyes closed. At different times you will see things that seem to be on a flat screen, other times you will notice depth. One type of visual event you will notice is fine-grained, and is the activity of the retinal nerves; the more spatial things involve the optic nerve and visual cortex. Just attending to the spontaneous events affects the nerves' functions and development."

narouz

Charlie said:
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Nerves are always regenerating, and thyroid, pregnenolone, and progesterone are needed for good development and repair. One kind of exercise that's helpful is to watch a bead on a thread, as you move it from close to your nose to a yard or more away (a yardstick can be used similarly). Visualization exercises with your eyes closed, for example for a few minutes after you wake up in the morning. Watch any visual events that you happen to notice; noticing them will cause them to change. At certain levels of relaxation and arousal, your visual system will show you some of the operating principles, scanning motions, for example. Coffee, thyroid, and progesterone affect the things you will notice with your eyes closed. At different times you will see things that seem to be on a flat screen, other times you will notice depth. One type of visual event you will notice is fine-grained, and is the activity of the retinal nerves; the more spatial things involve the optic nerve and visual cortex. Just attending to the spontaneous events affects the nerves' functions and development."
(my bolding)

Fascinating quote, Charlie.
I happened across it myself just recently.
And I have the same reaction to it,
a bit of, "WTF is Dr. Peat talking about?"

I sense that Peat is getting at something really, as I say, "fascinating."
But at the same time,
I confess I'm a bit mystified.

He's exploring the area of consciousness and its untapped power regarding regeneration.

I guess I need to get straighter with the Peat concepts of "regeneration" and "generation,"
(as in "generative energy").
I believe Peat has written a book by that title...?

It would seem that by "generative energy"
Peat means something like creative energy or life-giving energy."
And by "regeneration" Peat is indicating something like "healing,"
trying to take something that is damaged and bringing it back to health.

narouz

Charlie said:
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Watch any visual events that you happen to notice; noticing them will cause them to change ... Just attending to the spontaneous events affects the nerves' functions and development."

It would seem that here we have a Peatian twist
on Einstein's Relativity Principle.
By observing an event, you change it.

Seems like, in Peat's equation,
consciousness generates or at least enhances energy.

Inwardness, noticing, watching, attending to...
Consciousness as observer.

Regeneration is healing.
Conscious, inner-directed healing.
Exercises toward that end on a deceptively simple-seeming, sensory, visceral level.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Very interesting, narouz. Thank you.

montmorency

I hope he's right, because I have a damaged nerve in my arm / elbow. Fortunately, it's not on the side where my active hand is (I'm left-handed).

I think it may be very very very slowly healing.

Would be cool if Peatian dietary principles were helping this.

Elast1c

I think what he's saying is the eye necessarily scans both close and far objects to be able to sense them or the stimulus of light. When you have damage or reduction in those nerves practicing all the various dimensions of scanning for light may actually engage the nerves more and if you close your eyes you can utilize them all since in meditatiom for example you tend to conjure many different dimensional types of sensory images. He then says with the help of progesterone, thyroid ,and coffee, the conductivity and fubctionality.