Need To Quit Milk. Can I Use Eggshell Calcium To Replace The Lost Calcium ?

johnwester130

After drinking 3 liters a day for the past 2 years, I am quitting temporarily.

How can I replace the lost nutrition ? Cheese is also not an option for me.

Travis

There is alot of calcium in 3 liters of milk. I think the only way to match that is by eating leaves; these are high in calcium per calorie.

Kunder

I see eggshells being recomended here quite a lot, but dont they have to be dissolved in stomach acid quite a bit for the calcium to be bioavailable?

When you mix it with food or smoothies that is not likely to happen and the egg shell will just run through your system untouched like a cherry pit.

Travis

I see eggshells being recomended here quite a lot, but dont they have to be dissolved in stomach acid quite a bit for the calcium to be bioavailable?

When you mix it with food or smoothies that is not likely to happen and the egg shell will just run through your system untouched like a cherry pit.
I think with the low pH of the stomach, even large particles should release a bit of Ca²⁺. I had looked at a study examining how those iron particles added to food (wheat flour) are dissolved, so perhaps we shouldn't understimate stomach acid.

But perhaps the smoothie is the best approach? The blender will do most work for you, and the fruit acids will help dissolve the eggshell matrix and chelate the Ca²⁺ ions with dicarboxylic acids. Calcium malate is a common calcium supplement, and could be formed in a eggshell–fruit smoothie. But then again, simply buying calcium malate pills could save a bit of work (although I totally agree that it's admirable to get everything from food, and also to have a use for spare eggshells.)

I think with the low pH of the stomach, even large particles should release a bit of Ca²⁺. I had looked at a study examining how those iron particles added to food (wheat flour) are dissolved, so perhaps we shouldn't understimate stomach acid.

But perhaps the smoothie is the best approach? The blender will do most work for you, and the fruit acids will help dissolve the eggshell matrix and chelate the Ca²⁺ ions with dicarboxylic acids. Calcium malate is a common calcium supplement, and could be formed in a eggshell–fruit smoothie. But then again, simply buying calcium malate pills could save a bit of work (although I totally agree that it's admirable to get everything from food, and also to have a use for spare eggshells.)
I like that... eggshell, cooked kale with its water, some honey, oranges, you got yourself a Peat-friendly smoothie (didn't think we'd see the day :ss2)

Runenight201

What’s the point of baking the egg shells? If I make hard boiled eggs and peel the shell, can’t I just eat the shell for extra calcium?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I think boiling and baking the shells is important for sterilization if you are going to grind them into a powder to use as a supplement. With boiled eggs I think you could skip the boiling step but you’d still probably want to bake the shells to make sure the inner membrane gets dry before grinding them into a powder. If there isn’t any inner membrane attached I suppose you could just grind them as long as they are dry. My concern would be any remaining moisture that might promote spoilage. I usually store mine in a glas jar and it takes a while to use them up. I hope that makes sense.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
I quit drinking lacataid milk two weeks ago. I imediately started using eggshell powder in the amount I think replaces the calcium I was getting from the milk. I experienced some different chest pains for two days but once I figured out what to eat to replace the calories I have felt great.

I quit the lactose free milk because if I don’t have enough lactase I may not have enough of the enzymes that digest galactose. So now I use regular whole milk in my coffee and in a gelatin/cocoa/instant coffee/honey mixture.

I use the eggshell calcuim when I have OJ.

Runenight201

@Blossom

I’ve started to make a lot more hard boiled eggs (easily my favorite way of consuming eggs I’ve found out). Sometimes when I’m cracking the shell, I fancy just eatin some of it instead of throwing it away. I figure why not get a lil extra calcium in my diet. The increased lentils and bread I’ve been consuming have to be offset somehow =P

Blossom

Forum Supporter
@Blossom

I’ve started to make a lot more hard boiled eggs (easily my favorite way of consuming eggs I’ve found out). Sometimes when I’m cracking the shell, I fancy just eatin some of it instead of throwing it away. I figure why not get a lil extra calcium in my diet. The increased lentils and bread I’ve been consuming have to be offset somehow =P
Oh, I see-no need to bake them in that case.

RobertJM

I use calcium carbonate and seems to do the job. My body has become heavier and very much defined in bone structure so looks like the calcium is going to the right places. But I do take alongside vitamin D3 and K2 because I’m so paranoid about one day developing calcified arteries lol

So yes, there is life after milk.

Runenight201

Yes I am downregulating heavily the amount of milk I drink, as I think it just does not produce optimal conscious states in me.

Lejeboca

I think boiling and baking the shells is important for sterilization if you are going to grind them into a powder to use as a supplement. With boiled eggs I think you could skip the boiling step but you’d still probably want to bake the shells to make sure the inner membrane gets dry before grinding them into a powder. If there isn’t any inner membrane attached I suppose you could just grind them as long as they are dry. My concern would be any remaining moisture that might promote spoilage. I usually store mine in a glas jar and it takes a while to use them up. I hope that makes sense.

I do the same process sans boiling and then store the glass jar with the finely ground shells in the fridge -- stores very well like that for 4-5 months (!).

Also, after reading in RPF some raving posts about eggshell membrane (see, e.g. Calcium Carbonate ), I am now paying attention to preserving as much membrane as possible for using in the powder.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I do the same process sans boiling and then store the glass jar with the finely ground shells in the fridge -- stores very well like that for 4-5 months (!).

Also, after reading in RPF some raving posts about eggshell membrane (see, e.g. Calcium Carbonate ), I am now paying attention to preserving as much membrane as possible for using in the powder.
This is one of my favorite diy hacks I learned on the forum. I’ve been using homemade eggshell calcium since 2013 and absolutely love it!

Lejeboca

This is one of my favorite diy hacks I learned on the forum. I’ve been using homemade eggshell calcium since 2013 and absolutely love it!

Nice !! (Mine too, with the close-second are homemade gummy bears :): )
Do you see any difference at all in using thin vs. thick eggshells? Thank you.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nice !! (Mine too, with the close-second are homemade gummy bears :): )
Do you see any difference at all in using thin vs. thick eggshells? Thank you.
No, I haven’t noticed a difference. Have you? Thanks

Lejeboca

No, I haven’t noticed a difference. Have you? Thanks

Nope. I haven't. In the powder form it is hard to tell. I will try the @Runenight201 way of consuming eggshells on the individual basis and report back if there is anything noticeable.

I've asked my egg supplier today, whether she can attribute the difference in thickness to anything but she couldn't tell. She is feeding them the same, that's for sure.
So my best guess that the difference is due to different hen breads, similar to how different egg shapes may be.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals