Need To Eat Frequently To Regulate Blood Sugar. A Pain

Curt :-)

Hey hey :):
So after learning about the importance of sugar and regulating the blood sugar, I've been feeling a lot better, but sometimes maintaining blood sugar is a royale pain in the ****. Since Peating I've learnt exactly what causes my blood sugar to crash and what it feels like when it does, but I seem more sensitive to low blood sugar now (perhaps because its on my mind, or perhaps the contrast to feeling good then crap is now more pronounced). I'm often out and about and have to buy food suddenly at inconvenient times (like when I'm at a bar at 11pm seeing a band lol), and often the food available is far from ideal.

My question is, once my thyroid is balanced, will my liver start storing enough sugar so I can fast for a little bit without having to worry about my blood sugar crashing? No one else I'm around has this problem. I feel like a junkie needing to top up all the time lol. It's a b**** because now that I feel quite good compared to how I used to, I've got all this energy and motivation to be out and be spontaneous and do whatever I feel, I don't want to be thinking about food all the time. In fact, I have no interest in food, really; I just want to do my thing without having to worry about it lol.

Thoughts? Thank you in advance! xx

tara

Curt :-) said:
My question is, once my thyroid is balanced, will my liver start storing enough sugar so I can fast for a little bit without having to worry about my blood sugar crashing? No one else I'm around has this problem.
I'd like to know this too. I never go anywhere without snacks in bag/car/pocket. Often feel rude needing food when others don't, and can't find anything suitable if I've brought too few provisions.
Once we've nourished and taken some of the load off the liver so it's healthier, will it automatically get better at storing glycogen? Will it need training by increasing (short) fasts, till we can get between meals without crashing?

superhuman

Yeas, RP says when thyroid and liver is working good you can eat as little as 1-2 meals a day

SQu

Well I'm looking forward to an improvement there too. Not happening yet, after 3 good months on thyroid. Some of us have a lot of fixing to do. That's okay. I have a box of sugar lumps in my car, and that has been helpful. little packs of salt would be good too. Niacinamide is meant to help with glycogen storage I think, if it doesn't first lower your blood sugar too much. I find that when sugar is dropping, it's hard to raise it again if you've let it go too low/ didn't notice it drop due to adrenalin.Did you low carb?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
After nearly 10 months of a Peat inspired approach I can definitely go for longer time periods without eating if necessary. All of that changes with intense stress though. If the stress gets too high I immediately revert back to needing to replenish my system every one to two hours. That's just my personal experience.

Peata

I had this for a long time after starting RP. It was made worse by high doses of niacinamide (and other metabolism boosters in high amounts), because when I stopped taking that I could go longer without food and headaches. It may be that I've finally adjusted more too.

Even now though, I've realized that I must have a good meal of solid food by early afternoon or I'll start getting a headache. I'm not one of these that can just spend the day with OJ, coffee, fruit, string cheese, gelatin, etc. I have to have a plate of food. Just now I've been coasting with a mild but annoyingly painful headache after going til about 2 p.m. on 700 calories total, most of it liquidy stuff like tea, coffee, yogurt, fruit... I guess my point is to eat substantial amounts at meals if you're not already. It can help you go longer between meals/snacks. A plate of eggs and fried potatoes is an example of a filling meal for me.

Peata

Also, another thought - if you are drinking alcohol (you mentioned being at bars but that doesn't mean you're drinking) it will plummet your sugar and make you want to eat everything in sight. Be sure to drink on full stomach and pace the drinks slowly. I'm sure you know this, but I wanted to point it out in case, because I've had that effect before.

Dayman

When I drink I feel the need to eat a lot. I also drink more coffee to stay up if I'm staying out late. All that leaves my belly a bit stuffed.

Mittir

Curt :-) said:
My question is, once my thyroid is balanced, will my liver start storing enough sugar so I can fast for a little bit without having to worry about my blood sugar crashing? No one else I'm around has this problem.

We are so used to living at a low metabolic state that it is hard to cope with
increased metabolism. I had to eat a lot every 2-3 hours to feel good, i feel bad
without food, not only regular food but i have to maintain high nutrient intake.
I lived most of my life without eating liver, now i feel down if i skip liver for
few days. Thyroid energizes the liver but stored PUFA and endotoxins are the one
weakening liver. You will need a Free fatty acid inhibitor to minimize the PUFA release,
i have got great result with Niacinamide, 100 mg 3 times a day with meal.
Aspirin lowers FFA release but i have not experimented with Aspirin yet.
I have found coffee very helpful in improving liver function.
I can go long hours without any food. RP has also mentioned high serotonin and tryptophan lowering glycogen storage. He mentioned gelatin and BCCA having anti-serotonin activity.
B1 and B2 are very helpful in energizing liver. RP recommended DHEA for diabetic
people. Small amount of DHEA 2-5 mg can help managing blood sugar.
Fructose and Galactose are good at refilling liver glycogen.

superhuman

Mittit: great advice as always.
How do u know if blood sugar is low? Im so used to fasting that i can easily go 12 hours without feeling anything.

OP
C

Curt :-)

Thanks for all the responses!
One to two meals a day sounds like some sort of utopia. I can't wait!!

Slightly unrelated; does anyone know why alcohol lowers blood sugar? Also, does it affect serotonin or dopamine?

xx

managing

Richard Bernstein says that alcohol "paralyzes" the liver so that it doesn't release glycogen into the bloodstream. So if you drink before you eat, you get a blood sugar dip, followed by a spike, followed by a drop.

pboy

yea I resonate with mittirs post, basically if youre running optimum youre gonna have to eat every 3-4 hours, or snack every 1-2. Its just how it is, but when theres never any digestive problems, and you know what you like eating, its actually rather pleasant. If I have to go. 6-7 hours without eating, I don't crash or anything, im just not as fast as I am with steady sugar supply every 2 or so..and desire to socialize or reach out more is lessened. I have no problem sleeping the night...and usually stop eating by about 8pm, not that hungry. I never eat a large meal, just steady small as its convinent. Theres actually nothing wrong with that...the three large meals thing is kind of unnatural and even stressful. It was a social construct based around when firewood was scarce, food had to be eaten fresh, and all that...its not actually designed because its a good healthy idea.

This might seem cliché in a Peat sense, but PUFA fats are known to mess with blood sugar...not even just Peat saying it, I found this quote in a text

"The regulation of hexokinase and glucokinase activities is also different. Hexokinases I, II, and III are allosterically inhibited by product (G6P) accumulation, whereas glucokinase is not. The lack of product inhibition of glucokinase further insures liver accumulation of glucose stores during times of glucose excess, while favoring peripheral glucose utilization when glucose is required to supply energy to peripheral tissues. Although not product inhibited, hepatic glucokinase is allosterically inhibited by long-chain fatty acids (LCFA). In contrast, LCFAs do not inhibit the other forms of hexokinase. The ability of LCFAs to inhibit hepatic glucokinase is one of the mechanisms by which fatty acids inhibit glucose uptake into the liver. The inhibition of hepatic glucose uptake by LCFA is responsible, in part, for the hyperglycemia observed in obesity."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals