Need Source That States Why Opiate Medications Are Bad

haidut

Forum Supporter

This is actually a great find. If you look at the studies associated with the news piece above, you will see that the FAS protein, which opioids increase the expression of is a member of the TNF super family (TNFSF). So, very similar to TNF-a. Histamine is one of the strongest promoters of the TNFSF, including TNF-a, so may be that is how opioid go about increasing FAS and subsequently immune cell death.
Fas-mediated cell death promoted by opioids : Abstract : Nature

Incidentally, many auto-immune patients are being given opioids for pain. In light of the connection between opioids and immune system suppression, this may seem like a great result but the TNF promotion is the exact opposite of what you want in an auto-immune condition. So, it seems opioids are like cortisol - masks the symptoms but destroys the organism in the long run.

allblues

Yes, opioid agonism is estrogenic, histaminergic, and serotonergic. I don't know if tianeptine does all of these things as there other Peat-friendly substances like DHEA and progesterone that are also agonists at some opioid receptors and I don't think they increase histamine. It's probably related to the dose as well.

Interesting!

So besides staying away from the classical opiates/opioids, it doesn't seem completely clear-cut.
I guess flushing, itching and the other opioid-symptoms would be something to watch out for as potential danger signs when using something like tianeptine. Is flushing, albeit mild maybe even enough to warrant lower doses/cessation?

The general meaning of the opioid system is very intriguing, once again it seems the pituitary is up to no good.
To me, opiate activity feels somewhat iffy, too. Stupidly warm and happy, like drifting off into a strange and unhealthy sleep.
Same feeling as when returning from a long jog back in the days.
I must say i prefer a good serotonin antagonist.

FredSonoma

He mentioned some of the omega-9 acids in a positive light and acting on the cannabinoid/bliss receptor.
Aspirin, brain, and cancer
"...The fetus produces saturated fats such as palmitic acid, and the monounsaturated fat, oleic acid, which can be turned into the Mead acid, ETrA (5,8,11-eicosatrienoic acid), and its derivatives, which are anti inflammatory, and some of which act on the "bliss receptor," or the cannibinoid receptor. In the adult, tissues such as cartilage, which are protected by their structure or composition from the entry of exogenous fats, contain the Mead acid despite the presence of linoleic acid in the blood."

So, a simple agonism of CB1 alone is probably not making a substance dangerous. I think the effects of weed are a lot more complex than simply activating CB1. THC itself is serotonergic and anti-androgenic, so that may be why Peat is not very fond of weed, but he probably also recognizes the complexity of its effects as shown in this human study of it lowering prolactin.
THC On Serum Cortisol And Prolactin

Not sure why, but I always thought that marijuana was anti-serotonergic. I used to smoke every day and it honestly felt somewhat similar to what cyproheptadine felt like (definitely felt more "beta" but similarly made me more comfortable with being alone and doing my work, made me more aware of my senses, increased my apetite, and made me more likely to reflect on my life)

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not sure why, but I always thought that marijuana was anti-serotonergic. I used to smoke every day and it honestly felt somewhat similar to what cyproheptadine felt like (definitely felt more "beta" but similarly made me more comfortable with being alone and doing my work, made me more aware of my senses, increased my apetite, and made me more likely to reflect on my life)

If weed can cause serotonin syndrome in combination with SSRI (just like high doses of MB), then it is probably something that has overall serotonergic effects. Either through MAO-A inhbibition, acting like an SSRI itself, or by stimulating TPH. The serotonergic effect on its own is probably mild though, so not something to worry about if used occasionally.
WARNING! Mixing Zoloft and weed can possibly KILL YOU! | Cannabis Addiction discussions | Emotional & Mental Health center | SteadyHealth.com

Parsifal

Agonists of the cannabinoid receptor also have pain-killer effects. One of the most potent agonists of that receptor is oleamide, and Peat has mentioned it favorably in some of his articles.
Oleamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will also trigger the blissful feeling of course, just like weed but without the anti-androgenic and pro-serotonergic effects. You can buy oleamide pretty cheaply on Amazon.

Interesting! Are you sure that it would not have pro-serotonergic effects?

Oleamide is an endogenous fatty acid amide which can be synthesized de novo in the mammalian nervous system, and has been detected in human plasma. It accumulates in the CSF of rats after six hours of sleep deprivation and induces sleep in naive rats and mice. Inhibition of the primary catabolic enzyme of oleamide (fatty acid amide hydrolase) by trifluoromethyl-octadecenone reduces sleep latency and increases total sleep time when given centrally to rats and peripherally to mice. While the mechanism of action of oleamide is unclear, it has been demonstrated to increase the amplitude of currents gated by 5-HT2a, 5HT2c and GABAa receptors. Moreover, the action of oleamide most relevant to sleep induction involves, in part, cannabinergic pathways, as evidenced by the ability of the cannabinoid antagonist SR 141716 to inhibit the hypnotic actions of OA. Nonetheless, enhancement of cannabinergic function may not be the only mechanism by which OA alters sleep, as it can act synergistically with subthreshold doses of triazolam (0.125 μg) to reduce sleep latency. These findings raise the possibility that OA may be representative of a group of compounds which might be developed into clinically-used hypnotics, and are discussed in the context of fatty acid derivatives as modulators of neuronal function.

Neuropsychopharmacology - The Hypnotic Actions of the Fatty Acid Amide, Oleamide

Parsifal

Agonists of the cannabinoid receptor also have pain-killer effects. One of the most potent agonists of that receptor is oleamide, and Peat has mentioned it favorably in some of his articles.
Oleamide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It will also trigger the blissful feeling of course, just like weed but without the anti-androgenic and pro-serotonergic effects. You can buy oleamide pretty cheaply on Amazon.

Haidut, here is a quote by Peat about the endocannabinoid system:

Ray Peat said:
My skepticism about the essentiality of polyunsaturated fatty acids caused me to be skeptical of the nature of the “endocannabinoid system” and anandamide, arachidonoyl ethanolamide. The enzymes that synthesize fatty acids are deeply involved in cancer cell metabolism, and nitric oxide contributes to some of the features of cancer (including aerobic glycolysis), and the cannabinoids activate both of those. The increased appetite that’s helpful for cancer patients has to be weighed against the effects on the tumor cells.
In my experience, weed raises nitric oxide a lot and I can't touch it without getting ice cold. Do you know if Oleamide would do the same on NO and the synthesis of fatty acids?

I found nothing in Ray's articles regarding oleamide.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Haidut, here is a quote by Peat about the endocannabinoid system:

In my experience, weed raises nitric oxide a lot and I can't touch it without getting ice cold. Do you know if Oleamide would do the same on NO and the synthesis of fatty acids?

I found nothing in Ray's articles regarding oleamide.

Ray wrote about oleamide on one if his newsletters but I forgot which issue exactly. I think oleamide actually lowers NO synthesis but I may be wrong. I am not endorsing weed, I just mentioned oleamide as a potentially safer alternative to weed used as a pain killer.

ReneeAnn

I am thinking about taking oleamide as a sleep aid, but am concerned about this:

"Appears to interact highly with serotonin receptors, augmenting the signalling of serotonin agonists through the 2X receptor subsets. The potency of the above is fairly remarkable, and occurs at very low concentrations with high efficacy. Oleamide is likely a serotonergic synergist."

Oleamide - Scientific Review on Usage, Dosage, Side Effects | Examine.com

@haidut , your thoughts on this article? It is highly referenced, but does mention receptors, which I know you don't favor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals