Need Some Clarification On Low Pectin Fruits

firebreather

I made a post the other day about inflammation and someone suggested that pectin might be part of my problem. I'd like to do some experimenting but the only problem is that different websites have conflicting information on low pectin fruits.

Does anyone know definitively which fruits are low in pectin or a good source with this info?

thanks for your input

lindsay

I know Apples and Pears are high in Pectin, but most of it is in the skin. If I eat apples, I usually peel them or cook them. Most fruits bother my stomach when I eat them raw. The exceptions are grapes, watermelon and oranges. Grapes I clean very well with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda (which gets rid of the waxy coating). If I eat ripe cherries, I do the same. Most other fruits I prefer to cook slightly. Cooking will make apples and pears and many fruits more easily digestible.

OP
F

firebreather

are you sure its pectin that cause problem?maybe carrot salad can help you,so pectins doesnt ferment...
on pectin levels of fruits http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/22783/PDF

Thank you, this is very helpful.

I know Apples and Pears are high in Pectin, but most of it is in the skin. If I eat apples, I usually peel them or cook them. Most fruits bother my stomach when I eat them raw. The exceptions are grapes, watermelon and oranges. Grapes I clean very well with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda (which gets rid of the waxy coating). If I eat ripe cherries, I do the same. Most other fruits I prefer to cook slightly. Cooking will make apples and pears and many fruits more easily digestible.

This is funny, many websites say that pears are low in pectin. But I keep finding contradictions all over the place on different websites.

lindsay

This is funny, many websites say that pears are low in pectin. But I keep finding contradictions all over the place on different websites.

Pectin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to wikipedia: "Pears, apples, guavas, quince, plums, gooseberries, and oranges and other citrus fruits contain large amounts of pectin, while soft fruits like cherries, grapes, and strawberries contain small amounts of pectin."

Of course, the benefits of citrus fruits far outweigh the pectin, IMO. But I think pectin is fine after cooking the fruits, so citrus fruit and peel could be candied or made into a jam if it's bothersome.

tara

Mittir had a couple of posts talking about using pectinase to break down the pectin in juice, for people who found it bothersome.

OP
F

firebreather

Pectin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to wikipedia: "Pears, apples, guavas, quince, plums, gooseberries, and oranges and other citrus fruits contain large amounts of pectin, while soft fruits like cherries, grapes, and strawberries contain small amounts of pectin."

Of course, the benefits of citrus fruits far outweigh the pectin, IMO. But I think pectin is fine after cooking the fruits, so citrus fruit and peel could be candied or made into a jam if it's bothersome.

thank you

Lilac

I was skimming my old Encyclopedia Britannica and found this bit of info:

"Slightly underripe fruits contain a larger amount of pectin than do ripe fruits, while in overripe fruits most of the pectin has been converted to pectic acid, which has so gelling power."

Now I wonder if Ray has ever said anything about overripe fruits' being suboptimal.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals