Need help - young guy starting to peat

RobertMichael

Hello all...I'm an 18yo male that has recently begun diving into Peat stuff. I am suffering from symptoms that I have come to understand are a result of high serotonin and cortisol/low thyroid such as cold extremities, anxiety, rumination, tendency towards addictive/obsessive behavior, fear, etc. My diet currently consists of .5-.75 gallons raw milk w/ some added sugar, some glasses of orange juice(looking to get this higher), .5-1 pound red meat, a cup of coffee, 2 eggs, and some cheese. I have also been starting to add the carrot salad. Wondering how to move forward, planning on taking morning temp/pulse and repeating that in the afternoon. Assuming the numbers warrant it, should I look into thyroid? Also interested in cyproheptadine. Not sure how one would go about obtaining cynoplus for example(don't have a good understanding of the different thyroid hormone medications)

Chad_Catholic

You are very young, so you won't need to start taking thyroid yet, at least I don't think, but I would instead buy a pulse-oximeter and an oral thermometer and start tracking your pulse and temperature throughout the day--for example when you wake up, after you consume meals or substances, before you go to sleep, etc. I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what temperature and pulse is good for you since it is relative to the individual, but generally a higher pulse and temperature is better--within the healthy range, between 80 and 90 bpm and around 99 degrees Fahrenheit--and you will after a while be able to tell at what temperature and pulse you feel best at. You might notice for example that you suffer from your excess serotonin symptoms when your temperature is normal or maybe a bit low but your pulse is around 110 bpm and breathing is a bit difficult i.e. you struggle to catch your breath--this would mean that you are hypoxic--or you might notice that if your temperature is a bit higher than normal that your appetite is seemingly insatiable which would indicate a condition of hyperthyroidism, where your metabolism is actually a bit too high--this is not only wasteful but could make acquiring muscle mass very difficult amongst other things. Those are a few examples, but the point is that using these biomarkers will give you tangibles, and you will soon be able to adjust your diet and supplement routine in such a way as to create your optimal health--this is after all the true heart of the bioenergetic pathway. Now in terms of a short term solution to temporarily alleviate the serotonin symptoms, I would say that the cyproheptadine might be a good solution, and I would be interested in hearing how you feel after taking it for a few weeks--I say a few weeks because some of the side effects of Cyproheptadine like feeling tired go away after a week or so--so be sure to update this thread on your experience should you try it. In my experience, my excess serotonin has been linked with slow metabolism, poor gut health, and partaking excessively in dopamine draining activities like masturbation, and things like going to sleep on time, refraining from masturbation, taking a a quarter-teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate as well as prescription antibiotics in between meals, and sessions of prayer--or meditation or reading if you are not religious--have all been quite effective. Given your age, you also probably have some larger life decisions to make in terms of a career, and this is very important because what you decided to do for the rest of your life will affect your health; and to be specific, the more engaging and challenging--to a degree--your career the better since it will increase the amount of energy your brain uses, which will increase your metabolism. I have found computer science to be engaging, and Georgi started his career in computer science, but what challenges and engages you will likely depend on where you are at right now; just keep in mind that your brain is like a muscle, and you will find that the more you challenge yourself, the more you will be able to challenge yourself (it's kind of a tautology but it's true nonetheless). Anyway, those are a just a few of my cents, so ask me some questions, and I will be happy to reply.

OP
RobertMichael

RobertMichael

You are very young, so you won't need to start taking thyroid yet, at least I don't think, but I would instead buy a pulse-oximeter and an oral thermometer and start tracking your pulse and temperature throughout the day--for example when you wake up, after you consume meals or substances, before you go to sleep, etc. I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what temperature and pulse is good for you since it is relative to the individual, but generally a higher pulse and temperature is better--within the healthy range, between 80 and 90 bpm and around 99 degrees Fahrenheit--and you will after a while be able to tell at what temperature and pulse you feel best at. You might notice for example that you suffer from your excess serotonin symptoms when your temperature is normal or maybe a bit low but your pulse is around 110 bpm and breathing is a bit difficult i.e. you struggle to catch your breath--this would mean that you are hypoxic--or you might notice that if your temperature is a bit higher than normal that your appetite is seemingly insatiable which would indicate a condition of hyperthyroidism, where your metabolism is actually a bit too high--this is not only wasteful but could make acquiring muscle mass very difficult amongst other things. Those are a few examples, but the point is that using these biomarkers will give you tangibles, and you will soon be able to adjust your diet and supplement routine in such a way as to create your optimal health--this is after all the true heart of the bioenergetic pathway. Now in terms of a short term solution to temporarily alleviate the serotonin symptoms, I would say that the cyproheptadine might be a good solution, and I would be interested in hearing how you feel after taking it for a few weeks--I say a few weeks because some of the side effects of Cyproheptadine like feeling tired go away after a week or so--so be sure to update this thread on your experience should you try it. In my experience, my excess serotonin has been linked with slow metabolism, poor gut health, and partaking excessively in dopamine draining activities like masturbation, and things like going to sleep on time, refraining from masturbation, taking a a quarter-teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate as well as prescription antibiotics in between meals, and sessions of prayer--or meditation or reading if you are not religious--have all been quite effective. Given your age, you also probably have some larger life decisions to make in terms of a career, and this is very important because what you decided to do for the rest of your life will affect your health; and to be specific, the more engaging and challenging--to a degree--your career the better since it will increase the amount of energy your brain uses, which will increase your metabolism. I have found computer science to be engaging, and Georgi started his career in computer science, but what challenges and engages you will likely depend on where you are at right now; just keep in mind that your brain is like a muscle, and you will find that the more you challenge yourself, the more you will be able to challenge yourself (it's kind of a tautology but it's true nonetheless). Anyway, those are a just a few of my cents, so ask me some questions, and I will be happy to reply.
Thanks for the insight. I will be obtaining the pulse-oximeter and thermometer as you suggested and will update if I go through with the cyproheptadine. I've heard .5mg is a good start for that, would you agree?

liam183

Kinda in the same boat here. 19 and high serotonin/potential hypothyroid symptoms. Been working on gut health as the main thing at the moment. Lysine is a great supplement to start with as it really helps block serotonin absorption from your gut (most of your serotonin comes from the gut). Seriously, this stuff almost completely gets rid of the physical effects of social anxiety (loose bowels especially). 500mg 1-3x a day with a meal. It would be better to take in powder or tablet form as capsules may further raise serotonin from gut strain. Glycine is effective in a similar way to lysine.

Demyze

OP
RobertMichael

RobertMichael

Have you read about eating Liver and vitamin d?

Vitamin A May Be A Viable Therapy For Autism (human Study)

Have you measured your temperature and pulse rate throughout the day to understand your thyroid function?
Thyroid, Temperature, Pulse – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

To much muscle meat can cause issues, gelatin helps balance the amino acids and is very calming/anti-excititory

Gelatin, stress, longevity
Ah, I will be adding liver to my diet, I guess I will get grass-fed frozen liver for now, since grass-fed fresh won't be available. What would you recommend for vitamin D if the sun is not out? I'm going to start measuring temp and pulse rate as well.

Gelatin I was not aware of, will look into adding that to my diet too - thanks for the info!

Last edited:
OP
RobertMichael

RobertMichael

Also, I think it's important to mention that my gut feels particularly irritated in the morning. When I wake up, my gut may ache at varying levels of severity and I will have a bit of gas, it also feels as though I'm a bit constipated. If I have a meal soon however, it seems it normally produces a bowel movement. Any advice in this regard would also be appreciated.

Demyze

Ah, I will be adding liver to my diet, I guess I will get grass-fed frozen liver for now, since grass-fed fresh won't be available. What would you recommend for vitamin D if the sun is not out? I'm going to start measuring temp and pulse rate as well.

Gelatin I was not aware of, will look into adding that to my diet too - thanks for the info!
Danny Roddy has some good videos to help you get started with bioenergetics:
The Danny Roddy Weblog

Also searching through transcripts of interviews or listening to the audio interviews with Ray Peat can help answer a lot of questions:
Audio Interview Transcripts

I think Peat recommends vitamin D in olive oil but I've used idealabs calcirol as well

Carrot salad and penicillin VK helped my digestion a lot, I think a lot of brain fog and focus problems originate in the gut

As for gelatin I've used the great lakes brand, a lot of people.mix it with ground beef before cooking to make burger patties, or make jello and marshmallows, or sprinkle over broth before heating and it dissolves into the liquid when heated

@Rinse & rePeat has a lot of recipes and such

Last edited:
OP
RobertMichael

RobertMichael

I haven't really made any significant changes to my diet since this post, but I have been mixing in gelatin with some beef here and there and consuming oxtail soup. I've also added well cooked white button mushrooms alongside the carrot salad. I added liver here and the re too.My intestinal irritation has remained and is most prominent in the mornings, although at any point my desire to eat seems to often go away because of intestinal discomfort. Today I had OJ, 1 egg, 30 minutes after waking, and then 5 hours later I had OJ with a couple grapes. In between these meals I had flatulence, stomach discomfort, pain, and uncomfortable movements. Immediately following the second meal I had discomfort, but in the next hour or so, these symptoms have subsided. In the afternoon my gut symptoms tend to improve(although they are far from fully resolved), whereas in the morning they are particularly bad. I'm holding off on cypro because I'm not sure if that's relevant to my digestive issues which is all I want to fix right now. Oh, also tried some boiled potatoes which sat in my stomach alright, but I think they gave me acne. Also, it may be important to mention that my esophagus is constantly spazzing out after I eat - I suppose it's called gastroesophageal reflux. I've had this for so long.

Last edited:

Beastmode

Hello all...I'm an 18yo male that has recently begun diving into Peat stuff. I am suffering from symptoms that I have come to understand are a result of high serotonin and cortisol/low thyroid such as cold extremities, anxiety, rumination, tendency towards addictive/obsessive behavior, fear, etc. My diet currently consists of .5-.75 gallons raw milk w/ some added sugar, some glasses of orange juice(looking to get this higher), .5-1 pound red meat, a cup of coffee, 2 eggs, and some cheese. I have also been starting to add the carrot salad. Wondering how to move forward, planning on taking morning temp/pulse and repeating that in the afternoon. Assuming the numbers warrant it, should I look into thyroid? Also interested in cyproheptadine. Not sure how one would go about obtaining cynoplus for example(don't have a good understanding of the different thyroid hormone medications)
You're off to a great start. Consistency will breed more results than quick fix ideas.

Consider removing things for a while before adding any kind of supplements, etc.

At your age, a good night's sleep, exercise that's invigorating and not stressful and avoidance of exogenous stressors from foods/liquids/environments things will get better over time. I'm 43 and this has done wonders in the past 4 years. It'll work even faster for someone your age.

Pulse and temp are great metrics if you keep at it.

aniciete

Definitely don’t add in any new supplements and even consider stopping any supplements you are currently taking. Even gelatin supplements and store bought juices can be allergens for a lot of people.

OP
RobertMichael

RobertMichael

Definitely don’t add in any new supplements and even consider stopping any supplements you are currently taking. Even gelatin supplements and store bought juices can be allergens for a lot of people.
I'm juicing the OJ myself. The amount of supplemental gelatin I've consumed from great lakes is very small. This was going on prior to that, but I will keep this in mind.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals