Need Help With Stubborn Hypertension

ejalrp

I have moderate hypertension and have been using many supplements (both Peat and non-Peat) to try and get my blood pressure down for the past month with nothing to show for it. The main 'supplement' I've been using is magnesium and I'm using several forms including chelated capsules, magnesium "oil" on the skin and Dr Carolyn Dean's ReMag product and am probably getting about 800 mg/day. Similarly, I've been taking some supplemental potassium in smaller doses. Salt I haven't really changed but I believe my salt intake is low to moderate by typical American standards. I'm also taking aspirin, cyprohepatdine and a small dose of clonidine before bed. Other food-related 'cures' I have read about and have been taking are beet root powder, celery juice or capsules, grape seed extract and plenty of hibiscus tea. I also take the Life Extension mix capsules so should be getting plenty of B-Vitamins etc. I also take E, K, A and D on the fat soluble side of the spectrum. I exercise regularly and am not overweight. I really do not want to start taking blood pressure medication (and am considering dropping the small does of clonidine as it doesn't seem to help anyway). I suspect I may be somewhat hypothyroid based on basal temps but worry that my blood pressure will go even higher if I supplement with a product like Haidut's thyroid mix. Hoping that someone can suggest something to get my blood pressure down. Thanks in advance for helping out.

answersfound

Thyroid normalizes blood pressure.

OP
E

ejalrp

Thanks to all those who replied. I'll up my calcium intake and try supplemental taurine. Not sure how long these will take to work (assuming they do) but I'll report back in a week or so. Oddly, I took a few grams of supplemental potassium yesterday into the evening and my blood pressure this morning (which I expected to be lower) was significantly higher! Perhaps it was just coincidence but it was the highest reading I've seen to date. I haven't read anything that even begins to make sense of that.

HDD

You should read this article-
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ed ... enia.shtml

"Lowering inflammation and the associated excess of free fatty acids in the blood, and improving the ability to oxidize glucose, will lower blood pressure while improving tissue renewal, but lowering blood pressure without improving energy production and use will create new problems or intensify existing problems. After 40 years the medical profession quietly retreated from their catastrophic approach to pregnancy toxemia, but in the more general problem of essential hypertension, the mistaken ideology is being preserved, even as less harmful treatments are introduced. That ideology prevents a comprehensive and rational approach to the problems of stress and aging."

tara

Oddly, I took a few grams of supplemental potassium yesterday into the evening and my blood pressure this morning (which I expected to be lower) was significantly higher!
A few grams of potassium at a time sounds like a very dangerously high dose? The pills they prescribe are generally 100mg. If you have reason to think you need more potassium than you can get from fruit etc, I'd suggest much smaller doses (eg 100mg) several times through the day. Severe hyperkalemia is apparently not good for you (medical emergency, potential to be fatal). Did you read the wikipedia page on hyperkalemia? I think Peat has suggested being cautious with potassium supplements because the body does not have such effective ways to remove an excess. There are people here who have supplemented potassium - maybe you could check out how they keep themselves safe with this? I think Jenn may be one.

OMG, don't take that much potassium. That can be super hazardous. I only take a pinch or two of NoSalt, 100mg or 300mg at the MOST. This gets rid of toe or finger or calf cramps in my experience.

Also. Not Peaty, but lots of people SWEAR by fresh aloe vera juice internally taken. I don't think this is bad. And they claim this lowered their blood pressure for a long time and that's all they did to normalize their blood pressure. Worth trying...

take AloeVera leaf that is thick. Cut 5 leaves and put it in the refrigerator. Try one leaf per day.

About 1 foot long, and thickness of 3/4 inch.

Wash, rub to remove thorns or cut a little from both sides. Slit and cut the leaf and blend with juice from a lime, and a bit of honey, for flavor. Or put in berries, cherries, whatever. Blend. Add water if too thick. Or use ice cubes and make a slushy. Drink the whole thing.

This may give you loose stool for a few days but it works out. This is what I am told lowers blood pressure bigtime. Don't know if it works. I haven't tried it but found it online and others have and swear by it. I would try it for sure.

What lowered my (not high) blood pressure was adding S. Boulardii to my psyllium fiber. After a few weeks BP fell from 115/75 to 105/65 or so. Not sure why. Just thought I'd explain. I'm trying to back off the S. Boulardii and the psyllium fiber but I find it helps a lot.

OP
E

ejalrp

It's been about two weeks and I have good news to report on the blood pressure front. My blood pressure has fairly regularly come down to where today I had a reading of 125/67. Although I was taking several supplements as detailed in my original post I personally believe it was the build-up of magnesium over several weeks and (kudos to Peat and Giraffe who pointed it out) supplemental calcium that made the difference. If I change my opinion for any reason I'll post an update here. Thanks again to all who chimed in with suggestions.

Hoodlt

It's been about two weeks and I have good news to report on the blood pressure front. My blood pressure has fairly regularly come down to where today I had a reading of 125/67. Although I was taking several supplements as detailed in my original post I personally believe it was the build-up of magnesium over several weeks and (kudos to Peat and Giraffe who pointed it out) supplemental calcium that made the difference. If I change my opinion for any reason I'll post an update here. Thanks again to all who chimed in with suggestions.
So do you think it was once your magnesium levels were high enough or did you back off the magnesium. I am having similar issues. Thanks.

WestCoaster

Easiest way to remove hypertension is to go low carb. More carbs = higher water rention = higher blood pressure. Remove carbs = lower water retention = lower blood pressure.

This is why doctors make the mistake of saying go easy on the salt. Lose the salt and you lose more water and the blood pressure drops, yet you can get the exact same effect from shedding unnecessary carbs. So now the question remains is, what does your body need more, carbs or salt (lets call it sodium)? Well the body can function perfectly fine without carbs (I'm not advocating low carb here), but it certainly cannot function without sodium. The trick is my friend, balance. Remove grains for the most part if you eat them regularly, and go easy on the sugar. Don't over-hyrdate (that includes all forms of liquid including OJ, milk, coffee, water etc..). In all honesty, OJ is probably the worst possible thing you can consume here (sugar/carbs + liquid). If you're ever curious if your over-hydrated, check the color of your urine. If it's clear or like a light chardanay, you're over hydrated and likely also have higher blood pressure at that time. On the flip side, you dont want dark yellow either, you want something in between.

This is if your hypertension is pure diet related. If it's pure environmental stress related, there is nothing you can do that won't cause side effects unless you remove the environmental stress first.

Motif

I have moderate hypertension and have been using many supplements (both Peat and non-Peat) to try and get my blood pressure down for the past month with nothing to show for it. The main 'supplement' I've been using is magnesium and I'm using several forms including chelated capsules, magnesium "oil" on the skin and Dr Carolyn Dean's ReMag product and am probably getting about 800 mg/day. Similarly, I've been taking some supplemental potassium in smaller doses. Salt I haven't really changed but I believe my salt intake is low to moderate by typical American standards. I'm also taking aspirin, cyprohepatdine and a small dose of clonidine before bed. Other food-related 'cures' I have read about and have been taking are beet root powder, celery juice or capsules, grape seed extract and plenty of hibiscus tea. I also take the Life Extension mix capsules so should be getting plenty of B-Vitamins etc. I also take E, K, A and D on the fat soluble side of the spectrum. I exercise regularly and am not overweight. I really do not want to start taking blood pressure medication (and am considering dropping the small does of clonidine as it doesn't seem to help anyway). I suspect I may be somewhat hypothyroid based on basal temps but worry that my blood pressure will go even higher if I supplement with a product like Haidut's thyroid mix. Hoping that someone can suggest something to get my blood pressure down. Thanks in advance for helping out.

Did anything help you ?

DaveFoster

Hey Dave, you reckon it is good for proteinuria too?
Probably.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals