Need Help With Copper Deficiency

J

JohnBonham

Can anyone help me with reversing a copper deficiency? I often hear that the zinc/copper ratio should be 10:1, but should I be taking more copper than that in the case of a deficiency?

If anyone has any advice or experience on this I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty lost.

tara

I think beef and sheep liver have useful amounts of copper, and maybe cocoa?

orangedonkey

I think beef and sheep liver have useful amounts of copper, and maybe cocoa?
Is there a difference between cocoa and cacao. Cocoa seems to be high in phosphorus on cron-o-meter. It also doesn't really show the mineral content of cacao on cron-o-meter.

whit

I'm with Tara on liver. It also has the correct cofactors to assimilate copper. :ssYou may also be getting too much zinc. Zinc can limit copper absorption.
Just a thought.

Ras

Should you choose to supplement, Pure Bulk has 68 years worth of pure copper gluconate for $10.50. The coupon code NZBB sometimes works.

Giraffe

Can anyone help me with reversing a copper deficiency?
What makes you think you have one?

I'm with Tara on liver. It also has the correct cofactors to assimilate copper.
I too think that it is better to get all nutrients covered with food before trying to manipulate single ones with supplements. You can quickly overdo with supplements for minerals.

whit

What caused you to think you have a copper deficiency?
Copper disregulatin can be serious. My understanding is it's not so much the lack of it as its the lack of control of it. The same goes for iron. Clean ruminant Liver gives it in moderate easy assimilated doses in a form thats allredy under control. We've used it for years with great success. Supplements can cause other problems. They seem like wisdom but.....

Miso

I initially took Copper Gluconate (2mg) to attempt to correct a Copper Deficiency, but it made me nauseous; I ended up just increasing my shellfish intake, which brought my copper levels back up to normal. Mostly crab, lobster, oysters, clams, mussels and squid. Mushrooms and Liver are cheaper copper rich options.

Kasper

You need just 400 gram of mushrooms to get 100% of the RDA of copper.

whit

Mmmmm mushrooms, tastey. You do need to cook them quite well. Peat said recently 2hrs. to get the best effect.
We cook them in with a bone broth.
Now I'm hungry. Thanks Kasper.

OP
J

JohnBonham

What makes you think you have one?

Ignorant overuse of Zinc supplements for one. And I mean chronic overuse. Low DHEA is another. I read on Pubmed that copper deficiency causes a 50% reduction in DHEA. All my other hormones are perfect as well as electrolyte levels, C-Reactive Protein, etc. By all accounts I should be perfectly healthy except for DHEA. I started to get consistently worse with zinc supplements, and better without them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giraffe

@JohnBonham , I don't think it's safe to fool around with copper. If I were you, I would ensure that my diet contains enough of all nutrient including copper, so the body can make proper use of the copper. Peat recommended shellfish as a dietary source of copper in one interview, as this is low in iron.

I would ensure to get enough day light, and I'd keep iron low (e.g. drink milk coffee after iron-rich meals). I think red light is a good idea, too.

Unless blood tests show low copper or ceruloplasmin, I wouldn't supplement with it.

You might want to search the interview transcript for copper. Audio Interview Transcripts | Ray Peat Forum

Haidut has posted a bit about copper too (blood tests, toxicity).

Douglas Ek

Can anyone help me with reversing a copper deficiency? I often hear that the zinc/copper ratio should be 10:1, but should I be taking more copper than that in the case of a deficiency?

If anyone has any advice or experience on this I would really appreciate it. I'm pretty lost.

Any update on how you feel?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals