Need help to remove iron/calcium from arteries

After reading some of peats writings I am convinced iron overload ,and misdirected calcium has caused my early onset heart disease and recent heart attack.Since leaving hospital have been in a state of panic and just stayed in bed a lot ,I need to make a change ,so I need some help with best supplements and doses.Ihope Ihave order'd correctly ( calcium,vit E,vit k,magnesiumtarate,vit ,c ,vit D lysene, :?: :?:

Giraffe

I would not use vitamin C supplements when suspecting iron overload. See thread about ascorbic acid.

What vitamin K supplement have you ordered? What form of vitamin K is in there?

Why lysine?

You may want to search "iron chelation". There are several iron chelators, for example aspirin chelates iron. Combinining aspirin with glycine helps in several ways: Glycine increases aspirin absorption. Glycine virtually eliminates adverse GI effects of aspirin.

Are you getting adequate vitamin A from your diet? Best food source is liver.

Supplementing magnesium can be tricky. It has laxative effect in high doses, on the other hand hypothyroid/stressed people lose magnesium quickly. In your case It might be good to supplement it three times a day for a few weeks. Many forum members made good experiences with magnesium bicarbonate (high bioavailability). How to make it see here and here.

If I want to supplement calcium I use eggshell powder (calcium carbonate), this is what Ray Peat recommends.

OP
E
Hello giraffe,I order'd lysine for the Pauling therapy along with vitamin c.Have'nt yet decided if I'll take that route.The vitamin K is solgar natural vitamin k2 100 mcg.I tried the eggshells but could'nt grind it fine enough,so until I get more powerful machine what calcium would you recommend for my situation.are their any untainted vitamin C supplements out there ?

Giraffe

I first grind a batch of eggshells in a simple grinder (mine is actually for vegetables, meat, herbes...). The result is a mixture of fine powder and tiny grains. I store the grinded eggshells in a glass container. When I need eggshell powder I take a small amount and process it in a mortar. This takes a few seconds. The result is very fine powder.

moerser2.jpg

bornamachine

Iron overload?... hmmm... Im the guy to talk to. Have you done a fasting iron panel test? Thats step 1. In the meantime avoid high iron foods especially combined with high vit c foods. Follow up with tea and coffee to lessen absorbtion. Get a fasting test and report back here. If you are in the states you can get one for under 60 without a doctor.

Henry

It´s not calcium thats the villain in heart disease or artherosclerosis. Even though we often speak about "calcification" the calcium deposits are actually a very late step in the disease. There is good data that calcification of artery walls are stabilizing the soft tissue plaques - heart attacks occur when one of those soft tissue plaques fails rips open, leading to closure of the artery. People with very calcified arteries can be very healthy and free of any heart symptoms or heart attacks. So what you want to prevent is not calcification, it is the build up of soft tissue plaque.

With that said the goal of "clearing arteries of calcium" sounds dubious - and I havent come along a case where gulping down a buckload of supplements had helped anyone with heart disease. I go with the above and would skip the vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium and lysine (no data behind the pauling therapy at all).

Regarding iron, you need to get proper labs first before saying anything about iron overload (ferritin, transferrin saturation). If both show iron overload I recommend donating blood until you get them into the normal range, but not too low.

I´d recommend you stay fairly low in fats and avoid vegetable oils and red meat, especially processed meat (bacon, ground beef etc.). You should also aim at lowering your cholesterol (i.e. normalize weight, use statin) and control your blood pressure, preferably with an ACE-inhibitor.

Giraffe and henry.. can you guys explain why calcification happens and how to avoid it? i noticed when I added eggshell to my diey my temp went u p... but I think im adding too much now bc I feel very tired after taking it. I was taking 1/2 teaspoon everytime I drann milk and oj so maybe do that 4 or 5 tumes a day.. I did it to lower prolactin

Is it too high or too low calcium

tara

Henry said:
post 100956 So what you want to prevent is not calcification, it is the build up of soft tissue plaque.
I think there is general agreement that calcification of any soft tissue is generally undesirable? And doesn't calcification in arteries interfere with their useful elasticity?

Henry said:
post 100956 Regarding iron, you need to get proper labs first before saying anything about iron overload (ferritin, transferrin saturation). If both show iron overload I recommend donating blood until you get them into the normal range, but not too low.
This makes sense to me, if you are strong enough to give blood, but I agree it would be good to check actual iron test results first.

Elderflower j58 said:
post 100928 I tried the eggshells but could'nt grind it fine enough,so until I get more powerful machine what calcium would you recommend for my situation.
I had trouble getting eggshell fine enough to tolerate too. I've bought oystershell powder from purebulk. It may not be quite as good as clean eggshell, but maybe the next best thing.

Elderflower j58 said:
post 100928 The vitamin K is solgar natural vitamin k2 100 mcg.
If you take a look at threads by Haidut on K2, you may find reason to take more vit-K than this.
Some of us here use Thorne K2, which gives 1mg/drop. A bottle costs a lot, but it has a lot in it, so at low doses it lasts a long time, and you might want higher doses. Doses of the order of 15mg and more have some evidence to support them in some conditions, and there don't seem to be a lot of down sides. I'm taking ~2mg/day currently; some people here have taken much more.
Because the solgar 1oomcg is a low dose, the tablets are mostly filler, and some of those fillers look potentially dogy. Might not matter if you were only using a little occasionally, but for regular or larger supplementation, it would be nice to avoid if you can. There are threads discussing K2 mark 4 (thorne) and mark 7 (solgar).

The vit-C seems controversial. I think part of the problem is that the methods of making it cheaply involve using lead during processing. I don't know whehter or how to find a cleaner source. I'm not sure which way I'd go on the vit-C if I was you. I'd certainly be considering it, based on Pauling's work, and I'd be checking UpH to assess whether I could handle much ascorbic acid (if UpH averaging above 6.8), or might be better off replacing part of it with sodium ascorbate or other variant (definitely if UpH below 6.4). If I was using a lot of vit-C I'd keep monitoring UpH, too. My reasons for considering UpH come from Reams/RBTI more than Peat, though Peat agreed with Reams on optimal pH.

Whatever scheme you come up with, it might be worth asking your dr for their opinion on whether they see any problems with it (though you still get to decide yourself about what makes sense to do).

Last edited by a moderator:

montmorency

Henry said:
post 100956 It´s not calcium thats the villain in heart disease or artherosclerosis. Even though we often speak about "calcification" the calcium deposits are actually a very late step in the disease. There is good data that calcification of artery walls are stabilizing the soft tissue plaques - heart attacks occur when one of those soft tissue plaques fails rips open, leading to closure of the artery. People with very calcified arteries can be very healthy and free of any heart symptoms or heart attacks. So what you want to prevent is not calcification, it is the build up of soft tissue plaque.

With that said the goal of "clearing arteries of calcium" sounds dubious - and I havent come along a case where gulping down a buckload of supplements had helped anyone with heart disease. I go with the above and would skip the vitamin C, vitamin E, calcium and lysine (no data behind the pauling therapy at all).

Regarding iron, you need to get proper labs first before saying anything about iron overload (ferritin, transferrin saturation). If both show iron overload I recommend donating blood until you get them into the normal range, but not too low.

I´d recommend you stay fairly low in fats and avoid vegetable oils and red meat, especially processed meat (bacon, ground beef etc.). You should also aim at lowering your cholesterol (i.e. normalize weight, use statin) and control your blood pressure, preferably with an ACE-inhibitor.

and I havent come along a case where gulping down a buckload of supplements had helped anyone with heart disease.

Try this: http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/paulingtherapy.php (and the forum).
And the book "Practicing Medicine Without a Licence".

I'm a little shocked at the statins recommendation in a forum like this. Are you an M.D.?

Blood lipids can be normalised with sufficient l-ascorbic acid and niacin (but please note that the niacinamide form of niacin does not have the lipid normalisation property - most others do. I think nicotinic acid (the flush form) is the most effective, and cheapest. Mot people seem to get used to the flush.

montmorency

Elderflower j58 said:
post 100875 After reading some of peats writings I am convinced iron overload ,and misdirected calcium has caused my early onset heart disease and recent heart attack.Since leaving hospital have been in a state of panic and just stayed in bed a lot ,I need to make a change ,so I need some help with best supplements and doses.Ihope Ihave order'd correctly ( calcium,vit E,vit k,magnesiumtarate,vit ,c ,vit D lysene, :?: :?:

In the latest versions of the Pauling Therapy they are recommending l-proline as well (and make sure it's l-ascorbic acid and l-lysine).
By the way, they are both in gelatin, plus a lot of other aminos, and hey, it's Peat!

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/paulingtherapy.php

I would never take calcium unless I was also taking k2. Others have mentioned Thorne's liquid. Life Extension Super K is also fairly high dose and has K1, and both major forms of K2 (only small amount of mk-7). I've read people suggesting as much as 45mg a day which would come quite expensive.
I'm personally doing anything from about 2-5mg of Super-K.

Good luck!

p.s. why do you think the original problem was iron overload?

bornamachine

OP have you done the iron panel test since posting this for everyone?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals