Need Help T3 Only

schultz

I am only taking 24 mcg 3x day.

That's 3 grains of thyroid (according to Armour and more according to other sources), which is a pretty large dose. From what I remember, a healthy person makes about 4 grains per day, so I just thought it was a bit odd that you said you only take 75mcg per day. I think Broda Barnes, in his book, mentions that people rarely needed 4 grains of thyroid (supplemented) per day when he was treating them.

Taking that much T3 at once (24 mcg) is probably not a good idea. Like other people have already mentioned, you should try to take a smaller dose more frequently. Ray, on one of the podcasts, has said something like "10mcg with food is a pretty smooth way to take it".

According to Danny Roddy's patreon page, here, Ray says...

"...Each dose shouldn't contain much more than maybe 10 mcg of T3. If you're going to take say 10 mcg of Cytomel and 40 mcg of T4 then you should break it so that each dose doesn't give you much more than 10 mcg of T3." - Ray Peat

On an East/West podcast with Ray (Questions + Answers II) Ray says this about taking only T3, as opposed to taking both T3 and T4...

"If you try to take just T3 and completely satisfy all your thyroid needs with pure T3, your TSH goes down, your thyroid stops working momentarily but if you don't take your T3 during the night, your TSH is going to ramp up and turn on a lot of inflammatory processes, and you will experience acute hypothyroidism..."

You should also make sure you are keeping cortisol low as it can increase RT3.

Vit D 26.7 Range 30.0-100.0

I would try to raise this.

Peatful

I thought my symptoms may be to blood pressure so i went and took it. My systolic is slightly elevated 121/71, can anyone help on this and what should i do?
-Raise your Vitamin D
-Supplement K2 for three weeks
-If you’re not eating enough, particularly starchy carbs- eat enough and add them
-Search this forum for Katrina Dalton’s work on progesterone
-Lastly, go to Ray Peat dot com and read as much as you can

Last edited:
OP
Saphire

Saphire

That's 3 grains of thyroid (according to Armour and more according to other sources), which is a pretty large dose. From what I remember, a healthy person makes about 4 grains per day, so I just thought it was a bit odd that you said you only take 75mcg per day. I think Broda Barnes, in his book, mentions that people rarely needed 4 grains of thyroid (supplemented) per day when he was treating them.

Taking that much T3 at once (24 mcg) is probably not a good idea. Like other people have already mentioned, you should try to take a smaller dose more frequently. Ray, on one of the podcasts, has said something like "10mcg with food is a pretty smooth way to take it".

According to Danny Roddy's patreon page, here, Ray says...

"...Each dose shouldn't contain much more than maybe 10 mcg of T3. If you're going to take say 10 mcg of Cytomel and 40 mcg of T4 then you should break it so that each dose doesn't give you much more than 10 mcg of T3." - Ray Peat

On an East/West podcast with Ray (Questions + Answers II) Ray says this about taking only T3, as opposed to taking both T3 and T4...

"If you try to take just T3 and completely satisfy all your thyroid needs with pure T3, your TSH goes down, your thyroid stops working momentarily but if you don't take your T3 during the night, your TSH is going to ramp up and turn on a lot of inflammatory processes, and you will experience acute hypothyroidism..."

You should also make sure you are keeping cortisol low as it can increase RT3.

I would try to raise this.
I am not taking grains. I am taking 8 mcg tyronene 3x day which = 24 mcg total. I have upped my vit d since those labs i posted back in april

OP
Saphire

Saphire

T3 during the night, your TSH is going to ramp up and turn on a lot of inflammatory processes, and you will experience acute hypothyroidism
I just looked acute hypothyrodism up and these:
  • Fatigue.
  • Increased sensitivity to cold.
  • Constipation.
  • Dry skin.
  • Weight gain.
  • Puffy face.
  • Muscle weakness.
are what i have been experiencing the last several days. I upped my dose by 2mcgs so far. Face feels tiny bit better. I think i will try 2 mcgs before bed tonight.

schultz

I am not taking grains. I am taking 8 mcg tyronene 3x day which = 24 mcg total.

Yah I was merely talking about equivalency . "x" amount of T3 = 1 grain - or - "x" amount of T4 = 2 grains.

Oh okay, so I thought from your original post that you were taking 24mcg 3 times daily but instead you are taking 8mcg 3 times daily. This is much different! I guess I misunderstood the original post.

The other info. I posted regarding solely supplementing T3 may still be relevant to you. If you are hypothyroid and you are only supplementing T3 then come nighttime, when you are no longer able to take the T3 because you're sleeping, you may become temporarily hypothyroid. Adding some T4 to you dosing schedule may be helpful. I think Ray has suggested taking the T4 before bed. You can take it as a single dose per day since it has a long half-life.

I have upped my vit d since those labs i posted back in april

I figured you had already addressed it, but thought I would bring it up. Did you get it retested since then? Sorry if you already said this...

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Yah I was merely talking about equivalency . "x" amount of T3 = 1 grain - or - "x" amount of T4 = 2 grains.

Oh okay, so I thought from your original post that you were taking 24mcg 3 times daily but instead you are taking 8mcg 3 times daily. This is much different! I guess I misunderstood the original post.

The other info. I posted regarding solely supplementing T3 may still be relevant to you. If you are hypothyroid and you are only supplementing T3 then come nighttime, when you are no longer able to take the T3 because you're sleeping, you may become temporarily hypothyroid. Adding some T4 to you dosing schedule may be helpful. I think Ray has suggested taking the T4 before bed. You can take it as a single dose per day since it has a long half-life.

I figured you had already addressed it, but thought I would bring it up. Did you get it retested since then? Sorry if you already said this...
No worries, i may or may not have addressed the vit d3. After looking at my post i see why you thought i was taking 24 mcg 3x a day...whoo- whee that would be a lot..lol
Anyway all is good.
I was thinking of adding some t4, however, New doc is wanting to do labs this Monday so i think maybe i might try it after labs. I would have to order some anyway. Do you know of good t4 that is gluten free i can purchase online, no prescription?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Okay i am going to shoot this out here one more time to hear your thoughts on this. As stated before with face tightness and puffiness along with acute hypo symptoms ( posted). Going to give you a run down of today. All dosing is with food
Awoke with slightly feeling of face puffiness and eyes. Body was in a total state of achiness.
~8am 8 mcg tyron3
~ by 10:30 started face tightness and eyes increased
~12 p took 8 mcg tyronene, 12:15-12:30 face feelings dissapated slight
~ 2:00 face again starts with symptoms and legs added with like a dry chap feeling swelled feeling
~ So decided to add 2 mcg tyrone , face 1/2 hr later felt slightly better
~ took final dose of 8 mcgs at 3:45, by 7:30 most my symptoms are very, very, very low.
Should i take a dose of 1 mcg before bed? Thoughts please?

jitsmonkey

until you have at MINIMUM a few days of proper pulse/temp you have no business increasing your dosage.
Its incredible how many people on this forum have issues with T3 and this is a perfect example
Its an incredible tool but just like a chainsaw... in careless hands its a dangerous tool and produces the exact negative effects you're trying to avoid.
Your problem isn't too much or too little T3 your problem is you have no idea what you're doing or how to do it.
Which isn't a crime BUT you start with step 1. Step 1 is pulse and temp data as previously described.
Best of luck.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

My pulse is 75, temps are 97.4 in the morning and 98 afternoon. I have been steady on the 8 mcg 3x a day with no issues until last 3 days.
I do appreciate your feed back

vulture

My pulse is 75, temps are 97.4 in the morning and 98 afternoon. I have been steady on the 8 mcg 3x a day with no issues until last 3 days.
I do appreciate your feed back
How were you feeling before using T3?
I’ll sat it again: if you add a drop to a small water with a bit of water you’ll see Tyronene floating on top, so, you could sip it three or four times, giving you a pretty small T3 dose at a time. Doing this along the day you could sip it every hour and a half, and it seems that’s about the time it takes for T3 most obvious effects to disappear

OP
Saphire

Saphire

How were you feeling before using T3?
I’ll sat it again: if you add a drop to a small water with a bit of water you’ll see Tyronene floating on top, so, you could sip it three or four times, giving you a pretty small T3 dose at a time. Doing this along the day you could sip it every hour and a half, and it seems that’s about the time it takes for T3 most obvious effects to disappear
When i was on NDT i would have achy hips especially after a walk, deal with fatigue quite often, so far not with t3, i would also deal with trigger pain points in the back which would send me to Chiropractor, so far on t3 i havent experienced the trigger points.
Honestly, the putting in water then just sipping scares mean. I feel i need numbers ÷ by ounces to get exact amount for my peace of OCD mind..lol

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals