Need help - huge stress response, worried what to do

Jem Oz

Would really appreciate any input. I started taking NDT recently (Tyromax). Started on half a grain (2 drops in morn, 2 at lunch). Also started taking high dose supplements each day, to try and protect me from the severe bodily stress i've been feeling, which has been building for a long time. The last few days, it's pretty much been 500 mg niacinamide, 100-200 mg b1, 500 mg magnesium glycinate, taken 3-4 times a day. In addition, 300-900 mg aspirin (spread out), about 10-15 drops of Energin, 100-300 mg theanine, 2-4 mg k2, 1tsp eggshell powder. I stopped taking vit D after discovering my current blood level is 81 (it's summer where I am).

4 days ago, i upped the NDT to 1 grain. 4 drops in morn, 3 at lunch. For the first 3 days, I felt great, and the above, long list of anti-stress supps worked perfectly. I felt my body swing back to a very low, but healthy gear, because I've been running on stress hormones for most of my life.

Today, things went haywire. I took the above supps in the morn and felt a surge of adrenaline. I put this down to a common adjustment to NDT. However, over the course of the day, the stress response has built and built. I'm now at a crisis point and don't know what to do. I've eaten and eaten and eaten all day, to the point where I'm so bloated I can't fit anything more in. Lots of sugar. I thought this would help, to keep up with the supps, but also suppress the stress. But something has backfired. My whole body is twitching/spasming, high HR, and i've been flooded with panic for hours. Today I've taken about 1.5 g niacinamide, 700 mg b1, 600 mg aspirin, 4 mg k2, 2000 mg magnesium, 15 drops Energin, 200 mg theanine. I didn't take any more Tyromax after this morning's dose.

Things seem to be going from bad to worse. Did I take too many supps?? Did I ingest too much sugar, and my hypothyroid body can't handle it? I just can't seem to get out of this severe panicked response. It sucks because everything I was doing was working beautifully, but I guess I only had a few days under my belt.

Cut back on the NDT? Stop all supps and focus on diet? Take even MORE niacinamide to quell the panic?

I'm at a loss. Would love any advice.

gaze

my opinion would be to cut all supps, eat nutritious meals only, for example a boiled potato with some milk and cod (if you can handle starch), very simple things. Orange juice and cheese as snacks. Don't shove food down your throat, itll just cause more FFA and blood sugar problems. you need to do relaxing activies, go for walks, watch movies, draw, listen to music, read books. Try to de stress and trust your body will sort itself out. Follow your appetite, dont eat because you think you have to reach a daily quota of calories or sugar

OP
J

Jem Oz

my opinion would be to cut all supps, eat nutritious meals only, for example a boiled potato with some milk and cod (if you can handle starch), very simple things. Orange juice and cheese as snacks. Don't shove food down your throat, itll just cause more FFA and blood sugar problems. you need to do relaxing activies, go for walks, watch movies, draw, listen to music, read books. Try to de stress and trust your body will sort itself out. Follow your appetite, dont eat because you think you have to reach a daily quota of calories or sugar
Appreciate. The stress state id been going to was what I’d call an emergency state, much worse than normal anxious wear and tear. That’s why I started the high dose supps. But I do think I’ve overdone it.

I very much want to keep taking the NDT, as it’s taken me a long time to accept that I am indeed hypo. Ray and many others are huge fans of thyroid supplement. I think I should lower the dose and take a lot longer to let it build up in my system (I’ve read reports that tyromax is more potent than other forms).

OP
J

Jem Oz

Also I’ve read so much recently about b1 deficiency and felt like I must be a candidate. Reports of people taking very high dose b1 and turning their health problems around. Compelling stuff. Maybe I just took on too much too quickly.

gaze

why exactly did you up your dose? did you still have low temps? i'm pretty sure you are supposed to take it way slower with ndt. something like 1/4 of a grain for a couple weeks, then 1/2 for a couple weeks, all while tracking temp. t4 builds up i think when you take more than you can handle, it can take a week or 2 for things to balance back out.

OP
J

Jem Oz

why exactly did you up your dose? did you still have low temps? i'm pretty sure you are supposed to take it way slower with ndt. something like 1/4 of a grain for a couple weeks, then 1/2 for a couple weeks, all while tracking temp. t4 builds up i think when you take more than you can handle, it can take a week or 2 for things to balance back out.
Well I’d been on half a grain for a month, so I thought I was taking it slow enough. I upped the dose because I was still having a strong stress and fatigue and POTS. Maybe, given tyromax’ potency, I should have added 1 more drop for a few weeks rather than 3.
Wonder if I should stop everything for a few days so my body can calm the hell down

gaze

Well I’d been on half a grain for a month, so I thought I was taking it slow enough. I upped the dose because I was still having a strong stress and fatigue and POTS. Maybe, given tyromax’ potency, I should have added 1 more drop for a few weeks rather than 3.
Wonder if I should stop everything for a few days so my body can calm the hell down
oh ok that makes more sense. are you currently in the state of adrenaline/panic? is it never ending?

gaze

Also is your body temperature currently cold or hot during the panic?

OP
J

Jem Oz

Also is your body temperature currently cold or hot during the panic?
I’m on fire and yeh I’ve been stuck in high panic for hours. I’ve had a lot of liquids today (oj and milk) but I’ve also had a huge amount of salt. Really don’t know what I’ve done wrong here, so many variables

gaze

I’m on fire and yeh I’ve been stuck in high panic for hours. I’ve had a lot of liquids today (oj and milk) but I’ve also had a huge amount of salt. Really don’t know what I’ve done wrong here, so many variables
I know you feel on fire, but have you checked your actual temperature? estrogen causes hot flashes, with a decrease in internal body temp. sometimes when you feel really hot, you may actually be at 96 degrees internally. If your body temp is 98 or 99 we know its hyperthyroidism from too much thyroid, if its low we know its from estrogen and hypo

OP
J

Jem Oz

I know you feel on fire, but have you checked your actual temperature? estrogen causes hot flashes, with a decrease in internal body temp. sometimes when you feel really hot, you may actually be at 96 degrees internally. If your body temp is 98 or 99 we know its hyperthyroidism from too much thyroid, if its low we know its from estrogen and hypo
Temp is 98.7. Pulse has been right on 100 for last 5 hours (so not unbearable). I wonder if I just revved up my metabolism way too much and my body wasn’t ready?

gaze

Temp is 98.7. Pulse has been right on 100 for last 5 hours (so not unbearable). I wonder if I just revved up my metabolism way too much and my body wasn’t ready?
yea that sounds like excess thyroid. it won't do too much harm, you could try to enjoy it, and embrace the feeling of excess energy. if it's giving you extreme problems and fear, i think ray said a serving of liver or high vitamin A food can block the thyroid to bring it back down.ًmaybe you could try eating a carrot salad with 2 carrots?

OP
J

Jem Oz

yea that sounds like excess thyroid. it won't do too much harm, you could try to enjoy it, and embrace the feeling of excess energy. if it's giving you extreme problems and fear, i think ray said a serving of liver or high vitamin A food can block the thyroid to bring it back down.ًmaybe you could try eating a carrot salad with 2 carrots?
you're right my friend, i'm panicking too much. Stuck in a downward spiral. I'm sure all this will pass and I can reset and take things much slower. Appreciate your reponses, they've helped

gaze

you're right my friend, i'm panicking too much. Stuck in a downward spiral. I'm sure all this will pass and I can reset and take things much slower. Appreciate your reponses, they've helped
yea no problem, i've been there before. it's easy to over due things with the hopes that your problems will be fixed. sometimes it pushes your body too much over the edge and you keep going to extremes. just know however that the extreme of hyperthyroidism isn't the worst thing in the world. Ray i think keeps his heart rate at 85-90, the thing is your body just isn't adapted to a high heart rate, so the feeling is foreign to you, which increases the panic. it will wear off and you can take it more slow while your body adapts to a high energy state. in the mean time, try to sit back and change your perspective. feel the blood flow through you and enjoy it. i think ray said something like that, something to do with the flow of energy through the body. if you trust your body and know that no harm is going to be done from it, you can try to deal with it the best you can by embracing it. the current state you're in is far better than being cold with hot flashes from estrogen, that's just about the lowest energy state you can be in

OP
J

Jem Oz

Wise words.

When I have a problem, I seem to just go all in and want to solve it completely. I research the hell out of it and chart a course etc. Like with thyroid supplement, I read how Broda Barnes said most of his patients needed at least 2 grains before their symptoms resolved, so I decided that's what I had to build up to, and anything less would be pointless.

I do wonder how I'd go with all those other supps if I wasn't taking thyroid. (ie I wonder if they'd have a positive anti-stress effect when I feel myself shutting down and hitting a wall).

Spose it starts and ends with diet.

gaze

in my opinion the list of priorities before one takes thyroid or other supplements should go like this 1. eating enough calories (2300-3000) per day 2. eating sufficient protein 3. eating sufficient calcium 4. eating sufficient micronutrients especially hard to get ones like selenium and iodine (low fat fish is a good source) 4. getting your blood vitamin D levels to adequate ranges 5. sleeping early and waking up at normal times, i.e fixing circadian rhythm 6. lowering stress in all aspects of life

once you do all these and your temps are still low or you have some chronic issues, then experimenting with aspirin, possibly b3, and possibly b1 may help.

if these don't work, then considering thyroid.

i think the other things should be experimented with for at least a couple months even a year or more before thyroids taken, just to rule out anything else.

OP
J

Jem Oz

in my opinion the list of priorities before one takes thyroid or other supplements should go like this 1. eating enough calories (2300-3000) per day 2. eating sufficient protein 3. eating sufficient calcium 4. eating sufficient micronutrients especially hard to get ones like selenium and iodine (low fat fish is a good source) 4. getting your blood vitamin D levels to adequate ranges 5. sleeping early and waking up at normal times, i.e fixing circadian rhythm 6. lowering stress in all aspects of life

once you do all these and your temps are still low or you have some chronic issues, then experimenting with aspirin, possibly b3, and possibly b1 may help.

if these don't work, then considering thyroid.

i think the other things should be experimented with for at least a couple months even a year or more before thyroids taken, just to rule out anything else.
Up until recently I would have strongly agreed (and I'm back to agreeing after today's scare). But I've recently read so many quotes from Ray about the benefits of thyroid. How so often people just need thyroid plus liver and oysters, and so many problems resolve. I'd written to him about my POTS and he was confident it was a sign of hypothyroidism. And ditto a suspicious mole I've got - I'd been applying numerous supplements to no avail, and Ray said they won't do anything til you fix your hypothyroidism, and in fact fixing the hypo will probably be enough to settle the mole.

So I got confused and felt like I was tilting at windmills til I started taking thyroid.

I agree though, bring it back to basics. If I do decide to continue with the Tyromax, it will be at a much lower dose, maybe even one drop a day.

gaze

Up until recently I would have strongly agreed (and I'm back to agreeing after today's scare). But I've recently read so many quotes from Ray about the benefits of thyroid. How so often people just need thyroid plus liver and oysters, and so many problems resolve. I'd written to him about my POTS and he was confident it was a sign of hypothyroidism. And ditto a suspicious mole I've got - I'd been applying numerous supplements to no avail, and Ray said they won't do anything til you fix your hypothyroidism, and in fact fixing the hypo will probably be enough to settle the mole.

So I got confused and felt like I was tilting at windmills til I started taking thyroid.

I agree though, bring it back to basics. If I do decide to continue with the Tyromax, it will be at a much lower dose, maybe even one drop a day.
I totally understand. i've had very similar thoughts and experiences. at the end of the day, all of rays reccomendations are to lower stress. cortisol is the most anti thyroid thing there is. people like us however who are chronically stressed to begin with, stress about anti stress things, because that's the type of people we are. ray seems to be a very calm and rational thinker in general, who can experiment with things without unrealistic expectations or panic. we however are constantly stressed, and so we worry that anything we're doing is simply making it worse, which actually does end up making things worse because we stress about it. sometimes we have to reach homeostasis first, by doing relaxing things that don't include supplements or extremes, and then we can experiment when we have a better control over our emotions and our body and can see how it effects us honestly.

Also, have you had blood work done, and checked tsh, t4, vitamin d, etc,?

OP
J

Jem Oz

I totally understand. i've had very similar thoughts and experiences. at the end of the day, all of rays reccomendations are to lower stress. cortisol is the most anti thyroid thing there is. people like us however who are chronically stressed to begin with, stress about anti stress things, because that's the type of people we are. ray seems to be a very calm and rational thinker in general, who can experiment with things without unrealistic expectations or panic. we however are constantly stressed, and so we worry that anything we're doing is simply making it worse, which actually does end up making things worse because we stress about it. sometimes we have to reach homeostasis first, by doing relaxing things that don't include supplements or extremes, and then we can experiment when we have a better control over our emotions and our body and can see how it effects us honestly.

Also, have you had blood work done, and checked tsh, t4, vitamin d, etc,?
very true. I had "health anxiety" in the past, so I'm definitely overly sensitive to my body. I'm hoping that the reason I started feeling genuinely, emergency-level stress and like my brain would shut down when faced with a simple task, was because I was under eating or not eating the right foods (ie rather than it ALL being a sign of hypothyroidism). Hopefully dialling in my diet and having sugary/salty snacks when the panic comes can help significantly.

Had bloodwork a week ago. TSH 1.17
FT4 16.7 (9.0-25.0)
FT3 5.9 (3.5-6.5)
Vit D (25 hydroxy) 81
DHEA 9.8 (2.2-12.4)
PTH 2.9 (2.0-8.5)
Cholesterol levels pretty much all elevated above 'healthy' range, but not alarmingly high.
Cortisol 408 (110-550), but I've been told that cortisol blood test is all but useless.