Need Help; How To Memorize Large Amounts Of Information

meatbag

Interested how different people go about studying when they need to memorize a large volume of info. It seems Peat can remember just about everything he ever read, but for those of us whose mother's didn't take corpus luteum during our gestation and have damaged brains, what do y'all think is the best way to go about this? Gracias amigo/as
{and yes I've tried the thiamine method...}

marcar72

Study at night while listening to classical music. Retire to bed shortly after studying or take a nap if it's during the day if possible.

theLaw

Memory does not indicate understanding. Kim Peek (Rain-Man) could read and memorize two pages of text at a time, but never understood the material.

Fully understand something, and then you don't have to worry about memorization.

When info is too complex, just break it down into smaller pieces until you understand it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Boo...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/What-Smart-S...preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Underground-...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

There are memory tricks, but you'll loose it if you don't use it.

The suggestions that I've seen posted here from Peat appear to be for those with superior-metabolic function, so probably won't work for most on this forum.

Cheers!:D

x-ray peat

what type of stuff do you need to memorize? memory tricks/mnemonics are useful for long lists and remembering names

OP
meatbag

meatbag

what type of stuff do you need to memorize? memory tricks/mnemonics are useful for long lists and remembering names

Yeah it is a lot of names and terms and stuff like that. I still use the "SOH CAH TOA" and "PEMDAS" thing so I think your onto something haha I'll give it a try thanks

OP
meatbag

meatbag

Memory does not indicate understanding. Kim Peek (Rain-Man) could read and memorize two pages of text at a time, but never understood the material.

Fully understand something, and then you don't have to worry about memorization.

When info is too complex, just break it down into smaller pieces until you understand it.

https://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Boo...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/What-Smart-S...preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Underground-...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

There are memory tricks, but you'll loose it if you don't use it.

The suggestions that I've seen posted here from Peat appear to be for those with superior-metabolic function, so probably won't work for most on this forum.

Cheers!:D

Nice, thanks man. Yeah I think I'll try approaching it like this and check out those books

OP
meatbag

meatbag

Study at night while listening to classical music. Retire to bed shortly after studying or take a nap if it's during the day if possible.

Perfect, just downloaded some new music today :headphone:

x-ray peat

Yeah it is a lot of names and terms and stuff like that. I still use the "SOH CAH TOA" and "PEMDAS" thing so I think your onto something haha I'll give it a try thanks
love Chief Soh Cah Toa, though I'm sure the PC police downgraded him to Mr.

Tarmander

I'd do it the same way I learn piano. Basically split everything up into segments that you can memorize in 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, and it might be a bit less depending on the person, you lose efficiency at memorization. Sleeping is what sets memories. So memorize something, a paragraph or whatever, for 20 minutes. Stop, or move on to another section. Sleep well at night, and the next day do the same thing. You should have to only repeat this for 3-4 days before you have very good recall of the material. If you spend more then 20 minutes on a section, you will get it down better in that moment, but upon waking the next day you will find you forget most of what you spent all that extra time memorizing.

Overtime piano players have noticed that to learn the most amount of pieces the most efficiently, you don't spend more then 20 minutes on a section before sleeping and setting it in. That's how I'd do it.

x-ray peat

Nah they probably changed him into a Mrs. and then scrambled the letters around to confuse everybody :wacky:
lol, two birds - gender confusion and dumbing down.
try the roman room technique. Its very good with random lists of info

OP
meatbag

meatbag

I'd do it the same way I learn piano. Basically split everything up into segments that you can memorize in 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, and it might be a bit less depending on the person, you lose efficiency at memorization. Sleeping is what sets memories. So memorize something, a paragraph or whatever, for 20 minutes. Stop, or move on to another section. Sleep well at night, and the next day do the same thing. You should have to only repeat this for 3-4 days before you have very good recall of the material. If you spend more then 20 minutes on a section, you will get it down better in that moment, but upon waking the next day you will find you forget most of what you spent all that extra time memorizing.

Overtime piano players have noticed that to learn the most amount of pieces the most efficiently, you don't spend more then 20 minutes on a section before sleeping and setting it in. That's how I'd do it.

Nice, whose your favorite pianist if you don't mind me asking? So do you find things you review right before bed stay in there better so to speak? I think I read something like that once

But yeah, I'll give breaking things up more a try, thanks :phantom:

OP
meatbag

meatbag

lol, two birds - gender confusion and dumbing down.
try the roman room technique. Its very good with random lists of info

Interesting...Yeah I've noticed I have no issues with spatial memory its just names and terms I literally can't keep them straight

Tarmander

Nice, whose your favorite pianist if you don't mind me asking? So do you find things you review right before bed stay in there better so to speak? I think I read something like that once

But yeah, I'll give breaking things up more a try, thanks :phantom:
Bethoven and Chopin probably. Can't stand most of Bach, although learning him gets you good quick. I have not noticed retaining better if it's just before bed. I would say when metabolism is the highest, mid day and afternoon, I retain tothe next day best.

The 20 minute method really is amazing with the results it gives. If you have say 9 paragraphs to memorize, and in 20 minutes you can memorize just okay 3 paragraphs...you spend an hour and do each segment for 20 minutes, after 4 days the level of memorization is really astonishing and it's not brutal hard or anything.

OP
meatbag

meatbag

Bethoven and Chopin probably. Can't stand most of Bach, although learning him gets you good quick. I have not noticed retaining better if it's just before bed. I would say when metabolism is the highest, mid day and afternoon, I retain tothe next day best.

The 20 minute method really is amazing with the results it gives. If you have say 9 paragraphs to memorize, and in 20 minutes you can memorize just okay 3 paragraphs...you spend an hour and do each segment for 20 minutes, after 4 days the level of memorization is really astonishing and it's not brutal hard or anything.

Lol I never like listening to Bach too much either. Cool I'll give it a go

BrianF

All the nootropics in the world wont help unless you organise and structure your information and nothing compares to mindmapping, read Tony Buzan to do it properly.

One you've done that. Nootropic the ***t out of yourself while your studying your mibd maps.

OP
meatbag

meatbag

All the nootropics in the world wont help unless you organise and structure your information and nothing compares to mindmapping, read Tony Buzan to do it properly.

One you've done that. Nootropic the ***t out of yourself while your studying your mibd maps.

Very interesting, wow that guy is a master of using his hands to speak lol. I think I will try something similar to what he is saying thanks for posting it!

baccheion

Nootropics. For example, pramiracetam enhances memory and noopept increases learning ability.

Mauritio

what brain chemicals are involved when you always have something on the tip of your tongue but just cant remember ?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals