Need help finding studies showing serotonin is dopamine antagonist/lowers dopamine

DonLore

Tried searching but couldnt find anything concrete. Is it not broadly acknowledged that serotonin and dopamine are antagonist to each other? Can anyone share some studies or resources, thanks

Regina

Tried searching but couldnt find anything concrete. Is it not broadly acknowledged that serotonin and dopamine are antagonist to each other? Can anyone share some studies or resources, thanks
+1. My oldest brother is moving into assisted living next week. I'm still in shock that I would see one of my siblings deteriorate like this. He has Parkinson's. Family has only followed the Doctor's advice.

Kram

There may be some helpful studies referenced in this thread.

Below is one example. Parkinsons' is also frequently treated with l-dopa (to raise dopamine) so you could infer they are antagonistic to each other.

Tremor In Parkinson Disease (PD) Is Due To High Serotonin
"The non-motor signs/symptoms of PD (tremor, drooling, slurred speech, etc) have long been thought to be directly due to dopamine deficiency due to the death of the nigrostriatal dopamine neurons. The common treatment for those signs/symptoms and the motor symptoms as well is usually a dopamine agonist of some sort, or L-DOPA. This study shows that the tremor signs are possibly due to decreased availability of the serotonin transporter (SERT). Lower SERT availability results in elevated intracellular serotonin levels. The commonly prescribed SSRI drugs are SERT inhibitors and sadly they are being prescribed quite often to people with PD. Given that dopamine and dopamine agonists are inhibitors of TPH, they tend to lower serotonin levels, which explains their benefit for PD. If high serotonin is indeed a major cause of dysfunction/pathology in PD then increased salt, protein (which lowers brain serotonin) and keeping endotoxin (and thus serotonin) low could also have pronounced benefit for PD."

miquelangeles

Regina

There may be some helpful studies referenced in this thread.

Below is one example. Parkinsons' is also frequently treated with l-dopa (to raise dopamine) so you could infer they are antagonistic to each other.

Tremor In Parkinson Disease (PD) Is Due To High Serotonin
"The non-motor signs/symptoms of PD (tremor, drooling, slurred speech, etc) have long been thought to be directly due to dopamine deficiency due to the death of the nigrostriatal dopamine neurons. The common treatment for those signs/symptoms and the motor symptoms as well is usually a dopamine agonist of some sort, or L-DOPA. This study shows that the tremor signs are possibly due to decreased availability of the serotonin transporter (SERT). Lower SERT availability results in elevated intracellular serotonin levels. The commonly prescribed SSRI drugs are SERT inhibitors and sadly they are being prescribed quite often to people with PD. Given that dopamine and dopamine agonists are inhibitors of TPH, they tend to lower serotonin levels, which explains their benefit for PD. If high serotonin is indeed a major cause of dysfunction/pathology in PD then increased salt, protein (which lowers brain serotonin) and keeping endotoxin (and thus serotonin) low could also have pronounced benefit for PD."
Thank you Kram.

I remember that I did send of all these to my family.

Maybe with him moving to an ALF, my sister-in-law's stress level will go down enough to want to read a few.

Regina

These are great.
I have tried too explain it as the levadopa is like holding up (really down) one side of a seesaw. As soon as you let go, it will come crashing down (up).

Birdie

+1. My oldest brother is moving into assisted living next week. I'm still in shock that I would see one of my siblings deteriorate like this. He has Parkinson's. Family has only followed the Doctor's advice.
Oh, so wrong. Nothing you can do when they do this. And it can happen so young.
I follow a Parkinson's site and all looking for "The Cure". It used to be a nice homey site, but was bought out by we can imagine who.

Regina

Oh, so wrong. Nothing you can do when they do this. And it can happen so young.
I follow a Parkinson's site and all looking for "The Cure". It used to be a nice homey site, but was bought out by we can imagine who.
Thanks Birdie. it looks like a pretty good site.

I got the email that he's going in the alf Oct 1st accompanied with the Doctor's letter saying "unfortunately, there is no cure."
Just seemed like a get-out-of-jail free card. Of course, they love the doctor for saying that.

I'm sending my nephew stressnon and lisuride (again). Maybe once my brother is in his new digs, my nephew could maybe slip him some.

bk_

Did your brother get his two doses of the you-know-what? It’s been implicated in aggravating neurological disorders.

Regina

Did your brother get his two doses of the you-know-what? It’s been implicated in aggravating neurological disorders.
I don't know.
They pull a histrionic fit if I bring anything up. It's confabulated as an attack on them.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals