Need Help Desperate: Need To Force Bowel Movement. Serious Constipation

OP
mayweatherking
You could try taking 1 teaspoon of flowers of sulfur as a ONE TIME DOSE for the fungus. Peat has written about the oldtimers using that amount once a year. I've been trying to find where I originally read this to no avail so far. Were you ever able to try a sulfur based soap or mix the flowers of sulfur in water and apply it topically? I will say it took me almost a year of Peating to get completely over the fungal issues but it did improve during that time and eventually stopped altogether. I believe this is related to low metabolism.
I think you might get some benefit from reading this blog post considering what you are going through.
Ray Peat, PhD on the Benefits of the Raw Carrot – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
It discusses the endotoxin relationship to some of the issues you are noticing right now.
Try to keep up with eating enough even though it's a challenge when you are that constipated. If your body thinks there isn't enough food coming in it will keep the bowels moving slowly in order to extract as much nutrition as possible. Occasional activated charcoal has helped me in the past with endotoxin issues but it can slow the gut motility so I always take it with cascara.

i did it when you guys recommended it before, didnt really help before. i am doing raw carrot and taking charcoal also. i dont really feel hungry, just like poop is stuck inside me i cant get it out. ugh. i know this is where the fungus is from. this sucks.

OP
mayweatherking
What about Epsom salts would cause constipation? I've used this and many others because the label offers this as a benefit.

what is bad about it? i just drank 4 teaspoons of it, didnt really cause a bowel movement for me though. only the saline enema seemed to do it, but it didnt do all of it, there is still more inside.

i notice whenever i have a bowel movement or have gas, my nose all of a sudden can breathe through both of them. this is literally my root cause my problem. what if i took some laxative for it just to clear out? i might do it, i'm running out of options.

Ulla

what do you mean? my mom told me to drink prune juice, is it the same thing?

I buy dried plums and soak them in a glass of water overnight. In the morning I drink that sweet water and eat the prunes.
I did that for one short period and it helped me. Or it was kiwi that I was eating it too.
As Tara said, probably it was due higher serotonin. But it helped.

tomisonbottom

what is bad about it? i just drank 4 teaspoons of it, didnt really cause a bowel movement for me though. only the saline enema seemed to do it, but it didnt do all of it, there is still more inside.

i notice whenever i have a bowel movement or have gas, my nose all of a sudden can breathe through both of them. this is literally my root cause my problem. what if i took some laxative for it just to clear out? i might do it, i'm running out of options.

Are you tracking your protein and sugar on cronometer or a similar app? If you don't eat enough your body won't have the energy and will be frozen in stress, which stops or limits peristalsis. If you're already getting at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight and at least twice the sugar, trying eating hourly. That will boost your metabolism. Do you take your temp and pulse regularly? Also cascara DOES work, you're just not taking enough, if it's not working for you. Just take bigger doses of that while you work on raising your metabolism.

Giraffe

i just did an edema with saline from wal mart.. i would have to try the coffee one tomorrow.
If not everything has come out by now, have another enema. Don't wait till tomorrow. Both saline and coffee enemas have beneficial effect on your intestine. The coffee enema additionally is stimulating because of the caffeine.

There are explanations on the internet on how to prepare coffee enemas. They say to boil water with coffee for a few minutes, let it cool and drain it. I don't do it so complicated; I just prepare a strong coffee in a French press and add cold or lukewarm water.

You need to retain a coffee enema for 10-15 minutes to give the caffeine time to get absorbed.

i realize this problem has made me mentally messed up. i all of a sudden can think more clearly and i'm looking at my life now in disbelief. look at me panicking here on this forum like a crazy person
Chronic stress does strange things with peoples' minds. Seems you have broken the vicious circle. :)

HDD

Do you take aspirin or Benadryl? When I started using Benadryl for sleep, I became very regular. Small amounts of a magnesium supplement also help get my bowels moving.

"The contractile ability of smooth muscle, that’s impaired by swelling and inflammation, can be restored by antiinflammatory agents, for example aspirin (or other inhibitor of prostaglandin synthesis) or antihistamines. This applies to the muscles of lymphatic vessels (Wu, et al., 2005, 2006; Gosling, 2000), that must function to reduce edema, as well as to the bowel muscles that cause peristalsis."
Cascara, energy, cancer and the FDA's laxative abuse.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think constipation comes from low thryoid(and cheese for me), just keep working at it. You are on your way already. I take cascara every single day and would not be caught without it.

That "fungus" looks like dermatitis to me. I suffer from the same thing and have noticed stress makes it much worse. So, I try to remain in a zen like state as much as possible. Maybe the stress from this constipation episode triggered the dermatitis?

I agree with Giraffe, another enema sounds great. Invest in your own proper enema set, and like @Rafe said a page back, embrace the enema. Make it a wonderful part of you life, because it will help you bring your health back. Need Help Desperate: Need To Force Bowel Movement. Serious Constipation

And I know its hard, but try not stress. Go through things slowly, try not to panic, keep that zen like state, stay out of stress mode. It's a constant work to do this, but when the zen like state takes over the stress, it's a beautiful thing.

lindsay

I had an issue of severe constipation in college - it was really bad and made me feel horrible. I've never met a person who didn't feel terrible and depressed when constipated, so I would do whatever you can to clear this up! I've tried so many different laxatives in the past when I had troubles and the ones I can say worked the best were probably senna tea, cascara, and it's been a long time and I'm not sure how "safe" it is considered, but Milk of Magnesia use to work a lot for me years ago. And I would definitely use the carrot salad with a laxative substance to really "clear" stuff out.

That being said, your skin issue might be enough for a doctor to issue an antibiotic. I got eczema outbreaks really bad on my eyelids when I had appendicitis and they cleared up when I took the antibiotics post-surgery. Antibiotics would surely help, if you can get a doctor to prescribe them. But that's just a suggestion. Of course, if these are not options, I wish you the best of luck with whatever will keep things clear!

OP
mayweatherking
Aspirin causes pro estrogen for me most times

Cascara everyday?? You have dependentcy on it?

Antibiotcs I can try.

I took epsum last night just had diarrhea today but feel worlds better after. Still more left tho

OP
mayweatherking
Okay now I'm atually kind of worried. I can hardly have a bowel movement at all. I all ready took 3 cascara's today and it has done nothing, if anything it feels like it made me worse then better. Would a lack of gelatin cause this? I think I haven't had beef oxtails in maybe a week and a half, I'm cooking some now. I do not feel well at all.

OP
mayweatherking
Words cannot describe how unbelievably screwed I feel in this moment of time. Hair falling out like rocket fire, fungus all over my chest, no libido, and I'm unable to go to the bathroom, on a diet that is probably considered crazy, taking thyroid I bought, with a disease that does not exist and is in my head because finasteride does not cause long term side effects apparently according to everyone.

What the hell is going on.

What does it mean if cascara makes you feel worse? Literally did nothing for me taking 3 of them and it says to do 2 a day.

I feel like I'm gonna die soon dude. Like literally I am going to die from this. This is not normal.

Finasteride is litearlly poison. I wish I just had normal genetics and had a normal stupid time growing up in my 20s instead of this. 27 and this is what i have to show in my life lol.

Last edited:
OP
mayweatherking
So I was feeling pretty bad, I just decided to start slamming food anyway. I ate a whole thing of grapes, and I felt my temperature go up a lot. So I started drinking milk and OJ. I took a small amount of T3, then my hunger started rileying up.. now my hunger is staying there no matter how much milk and OJ I drink. But my stomach is literally huge right now. I all ready had like 3 glasses of each, 12oz each time of both, and I still feel the hunger in my stomach so I'm just going to keep drinking milk and OJ until it goes away, but I feel better right now, but I still am not going to bathroom, but I just feel better. I also have some oxtails that are almost done cooking.

tara

So I was feeling pretty bad, I just decided to start slamming food anyway. I ate a whole thing of grapes, and I felt my temperature go up a lot. So I started drinking milk and OJ. I took a small amount of T3, then my hunger started rileying up.. now my hunger is staying there no matter how much milk and OJ I drink. But my stomach is literally huge right now. I all ready had like 3 glasses of each, 12oz each time of both, and I still feel the hunger in my stomach so I'm just going to keep drinking milk and OJ until it goes away, but I feel better right now, but I still am not going to bathroom, but I just feel better. I also have some oxtails that are almost done cooking.
My bet is on this tactic - keep eating. Though you may find that 2l of liquid at a sitting is too much - may be better spaced out through the day and supplemented with some denser food too. I cautiously predict that if you can eat 3000+ cals every day for three weeks, maybe with a wider variety of food, you will probably get gradually increased and noticable natural peristalsis. (Unless you get too waterlogged from all the juice and OJ - in which case swapping some of the drink out for food.)

papaya

Okay now I'm atually kind of worried. I can hardly have a bowel movement at all. I all ready took 3 cascara's today and it has done nothing, if anything it feels like it made me worse then better. Would a lack of gelatin cause this? I think I haven't had beef oxtails in maybe a week and a half, I'm cooking some now. I do not feel well at all.
get super dieters tea. steep 2 teabags in hot water for at least an hr then drink the whole cup. it will/should work w/in 8-10 hrs

7 or 8 cascara pills would prob have the same result tbh

Last edited by a moderator:

faramir

Hello, all. First post. I've been following Dr Peat for about 6 years now and lurking:) here for a few weeks. So informative! Thank you all for sharing.
Anyway, to address the problem at hand. A friend suffered from chronic constipation for many years and even had to go to the hospital once when in agonizing pain. I gave him some Oxy-Powder by GHC which contains elemental magnesium and citric acid powder as the main ingredients. It's not absorbed, it reacts with your gut contents and liquifies them. Very effective!
My friend swears by it now!
BTW, Ray Peat says that inflammation in the gut can be the cause, as the inflamed tissue absorbs a lot of fluid. Also you need to have a certain amount of food in your stomach to cause the peristalsis to commence, so eating enough at a time should be helpful.
Best wishes for your continued improvement with this problem.

Tawnya

I have had the same problem of the very hard rocks of stool and unable to pass them. Since I've been doing raw carrots and using the smooth move tea2-3 x a week it has improved. I'm sure being hypo is big key. I'm unable to use thyroid meds. I'm to sensitive to them. I've tried several times using ndt. I'm just to scared to use them at this point and keep trying diet and other things to improve my metabolism

OP
mayweatherking
I have had the same problem of the very hard rocks of stool and unable to pass them. Since I've been doing raw carrots and using the smooth move tea2-3 x a week it has improved. I'm sure being hypo is big key. I'm unable to use thyroid meds. I'm to sensitive to them. I've tried several times using ndt. I'm just to scared to use them at this point and keep trying diet and other things to improve my metabolism

what happens? i was also really sensitive to them, but i actually noticed whenever i had a bowel movement, the sensitivities went away. i also noticed whenever i had a bowel movement, my temperature increased and i felt way better.

My bet is on this tactic - keep eating. Though you may find that 2l of liquid at a sitting is too much - may be better spaced out through the day and supplemented with some denser food too. I cautiously predict that if you can eat 3000+ cals every day for three weeks, maybe with a wider variety of food, you will probably get gradually increased and noticable natural peristalsis. (Unless you get too waterlogged from all the juice and OJ - in which case swapping some of the drink out for food.)

yeah... true. i did way more OJ today than normal, and i noticed more positive results from eating, but still dont feel great.

get super dieters tea. steep 2 teabags in hot water for at least an hr then drink the whole cup. it will/should work w/in 8-10 hrs

7 or 8 cascara pills would prob have the same result tbh

i can try it. thanks.

OP
mayweatherking
overall today, i did the enema and really cleared myself out today. i still am feeling the fungus on my chest though burning almost from drinking a lot of OJ.

you know.. this all has me thinking, maybe i really am just messed up from finasteride and this is my problem. maybe it is some permanent thing. i feel like someone should have libido in my position at this point or something should have started working by now, but it just isn't. i just took half a grain of thyroid and i'm sitting here, my scalp is basically visible now, i'm just questioning what the hell is going on. this just isn't what i thought was going to happen. it really makes no sense why i have libido sometimes and then other times not. i've been trying to do this for 9 months now, taking all the advices, but just falling flat. it really makes no sense.

theres nothing really else left to say.. youve all been really helpful, thanks for the help, but i think its game over for me. im glad at least i tried, at lest i had a chance. at least i went for it.

Last edited:

lindsay

overall today, i did the enema and really cleared myself out today. i still am feeling the fungus on my chest though burning almost from drinking a lot of OJ.

you know.. this all has me thinking, maybe i really am just messed up from finasteride and this is my problem. maybe it is some permanent thing. i feel like someone should have libido in my position at this point or something should have started working by now, but it just isn't. i just took half a grain of thyroid and i'm sitting here, my scalp is basically visible now, i'm just questioning what the hell is going on. this just isn't what i thought was going to happen. it really makes no sense why i have libido sometimes and then other times not. i've been trying to do this for 9 months now, taking all the advices, but just falling flat. it really makes no sense.

Don't lose heart. Healing takes time. Always. I've been "healing" slowly for 3 years. And progress does come, but it is never immediate. You need to be kind to yourself, let yourself have time, when you can. Explore as many options as you can. Keep regular, but try as many things aside from diet that you can. I learned early on that force-feeding or doing too much of any one thing can be just as stressful on the body as not. Take your time. Go for long walks, breathe fresh air, meditate/pray, do some yoga - whatever will reduce stress daily will be beneficial. It's really hard when compromised - but if I could tell you one thing, it would be to really stop and take a little time for yourself every day. On the toilet, to breathe, to not let yourself panic. It IS a conscious effort that should not stop. After my appendicitis surgery a year and a half ago, during my healing phase, I used to go for calm walks and sit on this one rock near the waters where I live and just sit and practice breathing and thinking. I stopped going there after I had "healed" from my surgery and went there again the other day. I used to hate sitting and taking the time to breathe and meditate, but the more I did it, the more I was able to calm down. When you are super stressed, taking time to slow the brain is SO hard, but if you do it daily, even for a few minutes, you will feel results. It doesn't mean it will cure your constipation - goodness knows, I deal with digestive issues daily - but it will give you time to evaluate what works, what doesn't, what you need, etc. etc. I try to do yoga 15 minutes daily, and ride my bike at leisure. This time is so therapeutic for me - especially yoga for regularity. Nothing gets the bowels flowing like yoga.

I remember when I first began my healing process, I spoke with a nutritionist (who I discovered RP through), and she said to me, "I cannot stress enough, don't stress!" At the time, it was very difficult to comprehend, but now I get it. Taking time to destress from everything - all these protocols - is very very important.

Okay. Best wishes to you :)

OP
mayweatherking
Don't lose heart. Healing takes time. Always. I've been "healing" slowly for 3 years. And progress does come, but it is never immediate. You need to be kind to yourself, let yourself have time, when you can. Explore as many options as you can. Keep regular, but try as many things aside from diet that you can. I learned early on that force-feeding or doing too much of any one thing can be just as stressful on the body as not. Take your time. Go for long walks, breathe fresh air, meditate/pray, do some yoga - whatever will reduce stress daily will be beneficial. It's really hard when compromised - but if I could tell you one thing, it would be to really stop and take a little time for yourself every day. On the toilet, to breathe, to not let yourself panic. It IS a conscious effort that should not stop. After my appendicitis surgery a year and a half ago, during my healing phase, I used to go for calm walks and sit on this one rock near the waters where I live and just sit and practice breathing and thinking. I stopped going there after I had "healed" from my surgery and went there again the other day. I used to hate sitting and taking the time to breathe and meditate, but the more I did it, the more I was able to calm down. When you are super stressed, taking time to slow the brain is SO hard, but if you do it daily, even for a few minutes, you will feel results. It doesn't mean it will cure your constipation - goodness knows, I deal with digestive issues daily - but it will give you time to evaluate what works, what doesn't, what you need, etc. etc. I try to do yoga 15 minutes daily, and ride my bike at leisure. This time is so therapeutic for me - especially yoga for regularity. Nothing gets the bowels flowing like yoga.

I remember when I first began my healing process, I spoke with a nutritionist (who I discovered RP through), and she said to me, "I cannot stress enough, don't stress!" At the time, it was very difficult to comprehend, but now I get it. Taking time to destress from everything - all these protocols - is very very important.

Okay. Best wishes to you :)

thanks for the tips. it's just, someting is going on, i don't know what it is though. thyroid seems to be the most helpful to me. i hear you about all that. i did yoga once everyday for like 2 months. i mean, it was great, i got into this weird state of mind where i was really zenned out, but it wasn't exactly a cure for me.

i am better than i was last year... i used to not be able to do thyroid and certain vitamins because it would cause my teeth to ache.. that is gone now thankfully.

i wonder if the thyroid is necessary to pump up. my hair is falling out faster than anytime, but i feel way better. i'm not sure.. maybe i need more. i have a weird suspicion that the vitamin D or zinc or whatever is not getting to where it needs to go when the thyroid is not there. i dont know. i dont have anything else to try.