Need Help Desperate: Need To Force Bowel Movement. Serious Constipation

Amazoniac

OP
mayweatherking
I keep bumping on B5 being useful for constipation. It's definitely worth a try. Search for it.
Also read this in case you missed:
Pantothenic Acid Helped With Gut Troubles

thank you. yeah this was essentially my thought process.. whatever stress there is, it is causing some nutrient or something to be depleted, this is one to potentially attack, didnt know it could help with that. i can relate to the feeling of stress in the gut.

ebs

I'm currently having a similar bout of constipation going for a few days. Had some bowel movements but my belly feels very tense and the muscles hurt a little. It's annoying and worries me a lot because I thought my overall health was improving. I started taking psylium husk two months ago but I'm not sure if that's the cause out of a sudden. If anything, it seemed to increase my bowel movements to some degree. Also started taking selenium for a few weeks and some mucuna pruriens powder. I also take some low dose ibuprofen occassionally. I've now ceased all this stuff as well as calcium supplementation. I'm also thinking that prolonged dairy intake (skyr) may have played a role.

How much damage could the psylium husk or occassional ibuprofen have done to my gut?

@mayweatherking if you're still here, have you been able to fix your constipation?

Are there other people here who've had bouts of constipation? Any causes and solutions? I'm already ordering some cascara. I've also started taking lactulose as I've done in the past but it doesn't seem to help much this time..

What are people's thoughts on stuff like kefir and yakult? I'm trying to fix this asap because last thing I want is endotoxin overload.

Last edited:

Luckytype

Have you guys tried walking? Im serious.

Its very well known that easy movement stimulates peristalsis..a simple example would be walking the dog, they urinate immediately sometimes requiring a few more minutes to empty their bowel.

Theres a reason why the elderly, once they lose the ability to ambulate often end up needing to use a laxitive like senekot

OP
mayweatherking
I'm currently having a similar bout of constipation going for a few days. Had some bowel movements but my belly feels very tense and the muscles hurt a little. It's annoying and worries me a lot because I thought my overall health was improving. I started taking psylium husk two months ago but I'm not sure if that's the cause out of a sudden. If anything, it seemed to increase my bowel movements to some degree. Also started taking selenium for a few weeks and some mucuna pruriens powder. I also take some low dose ibuprofen occassionally. I've now ceased all this stuff as well as calcium supplementation. I'm also thinking that prolonged dairy intake (skyr) may have played a role.

How much damage could the psylium husk or occassional ibuprofen have done to my gut?

@mayweatherking if you're still here, have you been able to fix your constipation?

Are there other people here who've had bouts of constipation? Any causes and solutions? I'm already ordering some cascara. I've also started taking lactulose as I've done in the past but it doesn't seem to help much this time..

What are people's thoughts on stuff like kefir and yakult? I'm trying to fix this asap because last thing I want is endotoxin overload.

ya i still lurk.. lol. yeah, i'm not there all the way yet. this has been a very, very confusing puzzle for me for a long time, but i am getting closer. this is an email from ray that now i am trying to work on now:

Laxatives, such as cascara sagrada, and fiber (raw carrots or cooked mushrooms, oat bran, bamboo shoots), are necessary when thyroid function is low, and will help with water retention.

jzeno

Posting for visibility.

Apparently there are 7 types of laxatives:
  • Bulking agent: These are fiber-based laxatives used to increase the water content of your stool.
    • Husks and fibers
  • Stool softener
    • Colace (docusate sodium)
    • Surfak (Ducosate calcium)
  • Lubricant laxative: Stool softeners contain oils to soften the stools and ease their passage through the gut.
  • Stimulant laxative: These stimulate the nerves in your gut to increase bowel movements.
  • Osmotic laxative: Osmotic laxatives soften your stool by pulling water from the surrounding tissues into your digestive system.
    • Polyethylene Glycol--you can find this at US supermarkets as ClearLax and MiraLAX
    • Sorbitol (sugar alcohol in prunes, dried plums)
  • Suppositories (serious)
  • Saline (salt) laxatives
I don't know much about any of these methods, to be honest. I just wanted to post this here to spark discussion. Perhaps someone can pipe up and explain which is best for short-term and long-term solutions.

Magnesium seems to be the most healthy solution to constipation, both in the long-term and in the short-term. If you notice, all these other solutions (with the exception of sorbitol from prunes) is not nutritious or essential to the diet. So maybe you can use them in the short-term (if you couldn't find Magnesium around you), but I don't think I would recommend you try that stuff until you first try Magnesium.

I would say: Magnesium first, then other stuff--in both the short-term (Magnesium Citrate, Epsom Salts, which is pure Magnesium Sulfate) and long-term (Mg supplements and Mg in the diet, such as coffee, medjool dates, chocolate, etc.)

Here's a Reddit user curing a bought of fasting constipation using Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate): How I conquered constipation on a prolonged water fast : fasting

3 Teaspons of pure Epsom Salt (no other ingredients) in a large glass of water.

Another example of Magnesium as a success: If you search "Constipation" on Amazon, the most popular product is a Magnesium Oxide supplement, Aerobic Life Mag O7 Oxygen Digestive System Cleanser Capsules, (https://www.amazon.com/Aerobic-Life-Digestive-Cleanser-Capsules/dp/B000PKEJR0/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1550272153&sr=8-3). Magnesium Oxide is generally not recommended here because it is has less Magnesium available for absorption relative to other forms (though, manufacturers love it because it is very cheap to use in supplements, apparently).

So, it appears Magnesium might be the best bet for both short-term and long-term constipation. You just need to have some specific supplies on hand in the event you suffer from constipation without warning. I would stock up on pure Epsom Salts and some high-quality Magnesium supplements and then try to get some Magnesium in the diet. If things don't move, then move them (with Magnesium) and try to improve your daily intake in your diet.

I'm still learning about constipation, but if you are in a desperate pinch to poop, I would recommend orally taking Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) in water. If you don't have access to that, then I would suggest some Coconut Oil (most of us have that lying around). If you don't have that, drive to the grocery store and buy Magnesium Citrate bottles and chug those (safely). If that's not available, then try one of these other options.

Then, I would make sure I'm getting ample amounts of good Magnesium in my diet and supplement with Mg, too, for added peace of mind for a long-term solution. Again, Magnesium is the only one of these that is an essential mineral--all the others are not nutritious, so I think that says enough about whether or not you would benefit from using them in the long-term or not (not, in my opinion).

Prunes also seem like a somewhat safe long-term solution but perhaps someone else can chime in. The effective dose for Prunes is thought to be around 50 grams (about 7 medium-sized prunes) twice a day (Randomised clinical trial: dried plums (prunes) vs. psyllium for constipation. - PubMed - NCBI).

I would think that with this information, everyone would be able to take care of constipation, but everyone will have to try and see for themselves.

Again, I'm no expert. I'm trying to figure this out just like all of you are.

Feel free to chime in and provide your suggestions. I hope someone has some more experience to share on this subject, too.

Last edited:

jzeno

Follow up to my previous post (#267):

I had missed a meal and then a bowel movement and I felt motivated enough to get something going.

Sometime in the afternoon (about 4:30 PM) I took about 1.5 teaspoons of Epsom Salt in a big cup (20 + oz) of OJ and by the end of the night (5 or 6 hours later), I had a bowel movement and felt better.

So, in a pinch (and over the long haul), I would think Magnesium is preferred, but perhaps other can chime in.

All the best.

tara

Posting for visibility.

Apparently there are 7 types of laxatives:
  • Bulking agent: These are fiber-based laxatives used to increase the water content of your stool.
    • Husks and fibers
  • Stool softener
    • Colace (docusate sodium)
    • Surfak (Ducosate calcium)
  • Lubricant laxative: Stool softeners contain oils to soften the stools and ease their passage through the gut.
  • Stimulant laxative: These stimulate the nerves in your gut to increase bowel movements.
  • Osmotic laxative: Osmotic laxatives soften your stool by pulling water from the surrounding tissues into your digestive system.
    • Polyethylene Glycol--you can find this at US supermarkets as ClearLax and MiraLAX
    • Sorbitol (sugar alcohol in prunes, dried plums)
  • Suppositories (serious)
  • Saline (salt) laxatives
I think there may be other approaches too.
What Peat discusses in the article on his page about cascara sagrada/emodin is another mechanismagain. It talks of reducing inflammation in the gut, increasing the size of the lumen, to potentially reduce blockages as well as improving energy in the system. Effective laxative.
Buteyko and others knew that reduced system CO2 would tend to reduce blood flow and oxygen supply to the digestive system, amongst others. His methods involved attending to breathing. This can sometimes be used to address constipation quickly too.

Beastmode

Foods we use:
- Stewed prunes w/ sugar
- Well cooked wheat bran w/ milk and butter
- Oxtail bone broth
- Carrot salad

Supplements:
- Activated Charcoal
- Cascara Segrada

aniciete

There is always poop stuck iny colon and it completely blocks my libido and makes my hair itchy and fall out and makes nithing work and I feel like crap from it constantly.
This is my problem that I struggle with. I think this is why I don’t tolerate milk or fiber. It just sits inside my colon. This is why I’ve had so many more problems since quitting coffee because there is an obstruction and I end up pooping every other day. I’m out of ideas…

Bozidar

Forum Supporter
@mayweatherking How is your constipation going?
I went through this whole thread and others where you wrote about constipation.
I have constipation issue since 2012 or so.
In this last year I have had a bowel movement every day, at the same time by eating 100grams of 90% dark chocolate.
It works every time.
Another thing I wanted to tell you. Have you tried taking L-glutamine?
I take 5grams every day, it makes very calm. After an hour or so calmness gets gradually reduced, but my point is that your style of writing is very anxious, like you constantly have fire under your **** or like a lion is constantly hidding somewhere behind a corner and you never know when it might jump out to get you. Who would be able to poop being in that kind of situation all the time? There is no time to deal with pooping when lion might jump behind a corner bite your **** off.

I think you need seriously work on getting yourself to safety. Away from that lion.
You can do that with all sorts of GABA agonists/promoters.
As I said l-glutamine helps me with that. For some people it induces more anxiety so I guess you just need to try it.
I have no anxiety from it. Remember l-glutamine turns to Glutamate which then turns to GABA. B6 might also help with this conversion if you take it and now that I am thinking maybe people who get more anxious from l-glutamine are simply B6 deficient so l-glutamine gets stuck in Glutamate.

Another thing which is making feel calm is K2(mk4). I use Thornes K2, tried doses up to 5mg, but that is to stimulating to take every day. I take 1mg everyday orally, dissolved in 5mg MCT oil. Gives me better sleep also. There something magical about MK4.

I have tried haiduts allopregnenelone, but it has done nothing for GABA.

Thanks for reading.