Need help debunking or confirming- Study claims reduction in cognitive performance due to wearing masks, and their increase in CO2.

Philomath

“Office Workers and Elevated CO2: Reductions in cognitive performance as CO2 raised from 550 to 945 to 1400 ppm on separate days”
Associations of Cognitive Function Scores with...

College Students and Elevated CO2: Reductions in cognitive performance as CO2 raised from 600 to 1000 to 2500 ppm in 2.5 hour sessions.
Is CO2 an Indoor Pollutant? Direct Effects...

ReSTART

Prolonged exposure to high co2 for multiple hours isn't good, bag breathing for intermittent periods is good.

Just like exercising for 30-60 minutes is good but six hours isn't.

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Prolonged exposure to high co2 for multiple hours isn't good, bag breathing for intermittent periods is good.

Just like exercising for 30-60 minutes is good but six hours isn't.
That sounds reasonable, but my understanding, from Dr.Peat and this forum, is that people typically cannot get enough CO2. People that create or retain more CO2 are generally healthier. Is there something else at play? Is getting CO2 externally a problem? Are masks causing a lack of O2??

tankasnowgod

“Office Workers and Elevated CO2: Reductions in cognitive performance as CO2 raised from 550 to 945 to 1400 ppm on separate days”

College Students and Elevated CO2: Reductions in cognitive performance as CO2 raised from 600 to 1000 to 2500 ppm in 2.5 hour sessions.

Um, where's the study with masks? Also, none of these studies appear to measure any sort of health marker.

I'd be wary about drawing any conclusions from the Fisk study, as they did all 2.5 hour sessions on the same day.

The office worker test was focusing on more than one variable. Workers seemed to be more productive at the same Moderate CO2 level as the control day, when there were a lot less TVOCs in the air.

Also, masks change a lot of things. There is an increased tendency to breathe through the mouth with a mask, so over time, this could lead to lower CO2 levels in the body. There is also the issue of breathing out water vapor, and bacteria collected in the mask, so masks may not be a great way to try and increase CO2 levels. I personally found I could wear them for about 40 minutes or so when experimenting with them prior to 2019, and then didn't feel as well. So, I always limited my time wearing them to about that time, if the goal was to try and increase CO2.

Perry Staltic

That sounds reasonable, but my understanding, from Dr.Peat and this forum, is that people typically cannot get enough CO2. People that create or retain more CO2 are generally healthier. Is there something else at play? Is getting CO2 externally a problem? Are masks causing a lack of O2??

I think that's a bit simplistic. CO2 is a "waste" product. Can you think of a single waste product that makes you more healthy the more you retain? It's all about balance. There's a certain range of CO2 that is healthy; beyond that it becomes unhealthy.

I've heard/read Peat say that CO2 is anti-inflammatory, but I've not been able to verify that anywhere. Can someone provide links to some research or instructional material?

I think that's a bit simplistic. CO2 is a "waste" product. Can you think of a single waste product that makes you more healthy the more you retain? It's all about balance. There's a certain range of CO2 that is healthy; beyond that it becomes unhealthy.

I've heard/read Peat say that CO2 is anti-inflammatory, but I've not been able to verify that anywhere. Can someone provide links to some research or instructional material?

you are very mistaken.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Technically, these is truth to this because elevated CO2 is sedating (possibly through increased GABA and lower cortisol). It is not a coincidence that CO2 breathing was used decades ago as treatment for seizures. Nowadays, anti-seizure drugs have replaced CO2 breathing and virtually all of them are sedating. The effects of breathing CO2 for extended period of time are not unlike those of a hefty dose of progesterone, and you can find many studies showing higher dose progesterone makes people sleepy and impairs cognitive performance while the sedation lasts. However, after sedation wears off cognitive performance increases above baseline due to the improved brain oxygenation from progesterone/CO2.

Perry Staltic

you are very mistaken.

Can you please extract from that link to use to explain exactly what I'm wrong about?

Collden

All disposable masks are made of plastic and most of them cause you to breathe in plastic microparticles, especially since quality has dropped dramatically with increased production. Likely major reason why they make people feel sick.

Grischbal

ATP is waste too then

dabdabdab

increasing CO2 from breathing is different than diet.
check out my experience with long teem co2

schultz

Obviously the body doesn't think the things it eliminates are needful for health. It takes what it needs and discards the rest. If it didn't, there would be problems.

That's not true. If you have high glucose in the urine it doesn't mean the body doesn't need it. Actually the body needs it very badly, but there is something wrong and excess glucose ends up in the urine.

The point I am demonstrating is that we need to define what "waste" is. You said that CO2 is a waste product. Is the assumption that it serves no purpose at all when it is defined as such? Or does it serve a purpose but also need to be regulated?

Perry Staltic

That's not true. If you have high glucose in the urine it doesn't mean the body doesn't need it. Actually the body needs it very badly, but there is something wrong and excess glucose ends up in the urine.

The point I am demonstrating is that we need to define what "waste" is. You said that CO2 is a waste product. Is the assumption that it serves no purpose at all when it is defined as such? Or does it serve a purpose but also need to be regulated?

CO2 is a byproduct. That's why I wrote it as "waste". It's not like doodoo that serves no other useful purpose for the body once foods' nutrients are extracted. Byproducts can be used for other things.

And I think we need to make a distinction between healthy function and diseased function. Excess CO2 may be very good for a diseased/abnormal condition, but the same may not be true for a healthy one.

Peater

If CO2 is calming it stands to reason that workers would be more relaxed and hence less in the zone and strung out - less productive. However they measure production and whether it's worth a damn. Widgets produced or inner satisfaction gained?

Gustav3Y

When taking some sodium bicarbonate I get sleepy and brain fogged.
Did a blood test recently for CO2 and it was in the top limit they had at the lab.

Can you please extract from that link to use to explain exactly what I'm wrong about?

with all due respect, I cited an article by Ray Peat that explains CO2 much better than I can.

I have had my entire life saved with increasing CO2 in my body. I have become a coach and helped many others, some with fatal diseases, become well again, by simply raising their body's CO2.

Since you are on the Ray Peat forum, doesn't it make sense to read some Ray Peat?

Back
Top Bottom