Need advice: How many grams of fat is safe in a day (in relation to other macros)?

Can

So I am very much aware that Ray Peat and most people on this forum prefer sugar metabolism over fat metabolism. I don't have any problem with that in theory but feel like in the moment, that my sugar metabolism is somehow impaired. I outlined this in another thread, atm I quickly feel hyperglycemic and unwell after just a bit too many carbs, feel my throid strongly after a piece of fruit too much etc. Thus I decided that I am limiting my daily carb intake to about 150 grams per day (as I can roughly tolerate that much), until I fixed my carb metabolism, and slowly increase the amount. 150 grams of carbs equals 600 calories.

But I still crave calories. I don't feel well on eating too much protein (would keep it, at the absolute maximum, at about the same amount as carbs) and would fill the rest with fats (which are mostly saturated and monounsaturated as I get most of them through dairy).

According to Cronometer, I consumed over 115 grams of fat yesterday and about 107 grams of fat today, about 46% and 48% percent of my calories. This is too much fat for my own taste. Until I haven't shifted more towards a sugar burning metabolism, I have a few questions:

How safe is it to eat this much fat, along with 100-150 grams of carbs? Can my body even burn this much? Are there any possible negative implications of eating this much fat that I should be aware of, besides accumulating pufas, especially acutely? Some mainstream sites say that that much saturated fats would probably raise cholesterol or triglycerides a lot acutely - is that true and if it is, could that be dangerous in any way? I am learning but I am not knowledgeable on human physiology enough yet, to assess how much truth there is to these claims, and what they actually mean and imply. Is it scaremongering or is there some truth there?

Also, what is favorable: Eating less calories overall to reduce the relative percentage of fats to the other macros, or getting enough calories until I am satiated, even if that means that I eat a lot of calories in the form of fat?

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with eating that much fat and gradually shifting your macros as you can tolerate it. The important thing right now is that you are getting enough food in general. Others here like @Peatful have pointed out that a 40/30/30 (C/P/F) macro split is perfectly reasonable so perhaps you could make something in that ballpark range your first goal?

OP
Can

Can

I personally don’t think there’s anything wrong with eating that much fat and gradually shifting your macros as you can tolerate it. The important thing right now is that you are getting enough food in general. Others here like @Peatful have pointed out that a 40/30/30 (C/P/F) macro split is perfectly reasonable so perhaps you could make something in that ballpark range your first goal?
Thank you for this answer. I noticed how much fat I was eating in the last few days, and so was browsing the web to look for whether my consumption was still somewhat reasonable. Flew over a few mainstream articles and they talked about their typical shtick about how saturated fats raise cholesterol and triglycerides and how that is bad and can be dangerous yada yada. Usually I KNOW to avoid such mainstream sites (as they also promote the consumption of large amounts of pufas etc - I trust Ray Peat a trillion times more), but this time I probably let a bit of that to my head. Anyways, your answer was very reassuring to hear, thanks.

Last edited:

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Thank you for this answer. I noticed how much fat I was eating in the last few days, and so was browsing the web to look for whether my consumption was still somewhat reasonable. Flew over a few mainstream articles and they talked about their typical shtick about how saturated fats raise cholesterol and triglycerides and how that is bad and can be dangerous yada yada. Usually I KNOW to avoid such mainstream sites (as they also promote the consumption of large amounts of pufas etc - I trust Ray Peat a trillion times more), but this time I probably let a bit of that to my head. Anyways, your answer was very reassuring to hear, thanks.
No problem. I think if you’re focusing on mainly saturated fat you are fine from a Peat perspective. There are ideals we strive for and long term goals of course but I wouldn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good in the beginning and just take it slow.

OP
Can

Can

No problem. I think if you’re focusing on mainly saturated fat you are fine from a Peat perspective. There are ideals we strive for and long term goals of course but I wouldn’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good in the beginning and just take it slow.
Very nicely said. Will do! :)

Barliman

This talk may be helpful- discussing seed oils as a unifying cause of Diseases of Civilisation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGnfXXIKZM&t=658s

Prof Knobbe points oiut that dietary preferences vary greatly between traditional communities (he specifically references 5-6 communities) but that the unifying factor between diet and good health is a low omega 6 intake. Most of the communities also have lowish omega 3, but saturated fats can be quite high.

Hans

Forum Supporter
So I am very much aware that Ray Peat and most people on this forum prefer sugar metabolism over fat metabolism. I don't have any problem with that in theory but feel like in the moment, that my sugar metabolism is somehow impaired. I outlined this in another thread, atm I quickly feel hyperglycemic and unwell after just a bit too many carbs, feel my throid strongly after a piece of fruit too much etc. Thus I decided that I am limiting my daily carb intake to about 150 grams per day (as I can roughly tolerate that much), until I fixed my carb metabolism, and slowly increase the amount. 150 grams of carbs equals 600 calories.

But I still crave calories. I don't feel well on eating too much protein (would keep it, at the absolute maximum, at about the same amount as carbs) and would fill the rest with fats (which are mostly saturated and monounsaturated as I get most of them through dairy).

According to Cronometer, I consumed over 115 grams of fat yesterday and about 107 grams of fat today, about 46% and 48% percent of my calories. This is too much fat for my own taste. Until I haven't shifted more towards a sugar burning metabolism, I have a few questions:

How safe is it to eat this much fat, along with 100-150 grams of carbs? Can my body even burn this much? Are there any possible negative implications of eating this much fat that I should be aware of, besides accumulating pufas, especially acutely? Some mainstream sites say that that much saturated fats would probably raise cholesterol or triglycerides a lot acutely - is that true and if it is, could that be dangerous in any way? I am learning but I am not knowledgeable on human physiology enough yet, to assess how much truth there is to these claims, and what they actually mean and imply. Is it scaremongering or is there some truth there?

Also, what is favorable: Eating less calories overall to reduce the relative percentage of fats to the other macros, or getting enough calories until I am satiated, even if that means that I eat a lot of calories in the form of fat?
Your body should be quite capable of oxidizing both without an issue.
I did a short thread on it here.

View: https://twitter.com/HansAmato/status/1560556432113733632

OP
Can

Can

This talk may be helpful- discussing seed oils as a unifying cause of Diseases of Civilisation.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGnfXXIKZM&t=658s

Prof Knobbe points oiut that dietary preferences vary greatly between traditional communities (he specifically references 5-6 communities) but that the unifying factor between diet and good health is a low omega 6 intake. Most of the communities also have lowish omega 3, but saturated fats can be quite high.

Thanks a lot for the video recommendation. Yea, I don't excessively eat pufas, although I may be getting a bit more than Ray would recommend to deplete them (averaging 6.8 grams a day according to Cronometer). It's probably fine.

Last edited:
OP
Can

Can

Your body should be quite capable of oxidizing both without an issue.
I did a short thread on it here.

View: https://twitter.com/HansAmato/status/1560556432113733632

Thanks a lot for the reply! I read the thread and it makes a lot of sense. As long as my calorie expenditure is similar to or slightly above my calorie intake, eating a large amount of calories in the form of fat relative to the other macros, should be no problem as my body is capable of burning both fats and carbs. Puts things into perspective as I was somewhat undereating in the last few weeks and my food cravings substantially increased in the last couple of days, indicating to me that I was burning more than I was eating and that I need more calories now.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Thanks a lot for the reply! I read the thread and it makes a lot of sense. As long as my calorie expenditure is similar to or slightly above my calorie intake, eating a large amount of calories in the form of fat relative to the other macros, should be no problem as my body is capable of burning both fats and carbs. Puts things into perspective as I was somewhat undereating in the last few weeks and my food cravings substantially increased in the last couple of days, indicating to me that I was burning more than I was eating and that I need more calories now.
Glad it was helpful and spot on. :thumbup:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals