Need A Carb Source Other Than Orange Juice

lampofred

I finally got milk to work out for me by figuring out that boiled milk is much easier for me to digest than cold milk, but I'm still having issues with the other Peat dietary staple, orange juice. Store bought orange juice is sour instead of sweet and makes me want to vomit if I drink too much of it (not to mention it gave blood pressure issues until I stopped drinking it) and freshly squeezed OJ is too expensive/inconvenient to serve as a primary source of carbs. I think this means that orange juice just won't work for me.

Has Peat mentioned any other easily accessible fruit juice to use as a carb source? Or is white sugar the only option... I've been using coca-cola so far, but I'm not sure how healthy it is in the long-run to rely on coke as your primary source of nutrition...

walker_in_aus

I have found preserved peaches to be great. White sugar as your main source of carbs will be a struggle if you are not getting adequate nutrition elsewhere. Also, whilst there are people on this forum who do seem to live exclusively off OJ and Milk, it doesn't mean you should. Peat isn't dogmatic, but people in groups can be dogmatic. What about stewed apples? Rice with butter? Slow roasted potatoes chewed really well? Expensive juice made into a jelly?

Sugar, juice, milk, coke are not dietary staples. Does that seem weird or illogical? If it doesn't, then you're locked into a cult. Eat food. Exercise. Sleep. Turn off your electronics. Get fresh air and sunshine. A big turning point in my life? When I was overanalyzing my diet, I took an off-the-grid trip to Idaho. No power. Just pure outdoors. My health turned around dramatically. It's then when I realized all this dietary stuff is neurotic BS. People are so focused on supplements, diets, scientific studies; instead of just trying to simplify things. Good luck with your health journey. Everything stated on this forum is pure opinion, nothing more. The pure revelation is n=1.

Sugar ingested by someone with gut issues and/or poor glucose tolerance is a disaster. Peat recommendations aren't cool if you can't properly handle glucose or have insulin issues. Sugar may help metabolism in some; but it may crush others. If you have trouble with starches and/or sugar, you better go low carb for a bit, get into some out of breath activities, then reintroduce glucose. Again, this is MY EXPERIENCE. However, don't keep flailing down a path; shift gears, turn course, travel down a new path, and then see where you're at.

tara

You know that not only are refined sucrose and coke not the only option, but they are unlikely to be an option at all as carb staples to meet your stated requirements. (And you know Peat doesn't recommend them.)

Some people handle clear apple juice better than OJ, and it may depend on the brand. SOme people handle other juices well, or OK with different brands or with more variety. SOme do better with more glucose/starch.

Personally, I don't do well on commercial OJ as main carb, but 2-3 glasses a day modified with a little baking soda seems to be better than not having it.
And personally, I'm getting more sustained energy and minerals by getting more of my carbs from potatoes, other roots and tubers, rice, oats, even a bit of wheat (though I suspect it has some down sides too), as well as various fruit and vegetables.

theLaw

I had issues with OJ, so I used organic room-temperature clear Apple Juice while dosing Tbsp of sugar throughout the day. Just be aware that most clear apple juices are basically rancid. I never noticed this until I used high-end organic AJ, and then everything else tasted spoiled.

Personally, too much liquid, fructose, or sucrose seemed to cause problems for me, but small amounts of each together was much better.

Sometimes even mixing OJ + AJ is enough to resolve the digestive issues, but for impaired digestion it's hard to beat cooked Potato Juice or BCAA.

Amino Acid Supplementation For People With Poor Digestion

The Potato Juice is a royal pain to prepare, so the BCAAs might be a more practical choice for most people.

Cheers!:D

OP
L

lampofred

I have found preserved peaches to be great. White sugar as your main source of carbs will be a struggle if you are not getting adequate nutrition elsewhere. Also, whilst there are people on this forum who do seem to live exclusively off OJ and Milk, it doesn't mean you should. Peat isn't dogmatic, but people in groups can be dogmatic. What about stewed apples? Rice with butter? Slow roasted potatoes chewed really well? Expensive juice made into a jelly?

I love rice, but unfortunately it's always fortified with iron. Also, everything Peat says (in my own experience, of course it's different for everybody) has turned out to be correct for me, so because he has emphasized multiple times the benefits of sugar over starch, the benefits of OJ, and the risks of iron excess, I have been trying to make OJ or at least some fruit juice work out for me. But I agree that I should be flexible about it.

Sugar, juice, milk, coke are not dietary staples. Does that seem weird or illogical? If it doesn't, then you're locked into a cult. Eat food. Exercise. Sleep. Turn off your electronics. Get fresh air and sunshine. A big turning point in my life? When I was overanalyzing my diet, I took an off-the-grid trip to Idaho. No power. Just pure outdoors. My health turned around dramatically. It's then when I realized all this dietary stuff is neurotic BS. People are so focused on supplements, diets, scientific studies; instead of just trying to simplify things. Good luck with your health journey. Everything stated on this forum is pure opinion, nothing more. The pure revelation is n=1.

Sugar ingested by someone with gut issues and/or poor glucose tolerance is a disaster. Peat recommendations aren't cool if you can't properly handle glucose or have insulin issues. Sugar may help metabolism in some; but it may crush others. If you have trouble with starches and/or sugar, you better go low carb for a bit, get into some out of breath activities, then reintroduce glucose. Again, this is MY EXPERIENCE. However, don't keep flailing down a path; shift gears, turn course, travel down a new path, and then see where you're at.

I agree completely that it's neurotic to overthink food. But I do it now so that I won't have to think about it later. I honestly hate eating unless I'm eating out with friends/am at some event, and I try to get it over with as quickly as possible. Figuring out a diet that works for me that is sustainable and nutritious means that I don't have to spend time/energy on deciding what to eat and can go do other things. So in kind of a twisted way, my goal in overthinking this now is to simplify it in the future.

Also, I have no issues with glucose tolerance, I actually do really well on coca-cola as my primary carb source if I'm getting enough calories. I'm just worried about developing an imbalance of nutrient stores in the long-run.

You know that not only are refined sucrose and coke not the only option, but they are unlikely to be an option at all as carb staples to meet your stated requirements. (And you know Peat doesn't recommend them.)

Some people handle clear apple juice better than OJ, and it may depend on the brand. SOme people handle other juices well, or OK with different brands or with more variety. SOme do better with more glucose/starch.

Personally, I don't do well on commercial OJ as main carb, but 2-3 glasses a day modified with a little baking soda seems to be better than not having it.
And personally, I'm getting more sustained energy and minerals by getting more of my carbs from potatoes, other roots and tubers, rice, oats, even a bit of wheat (though I suspect it has some down sides too), as well as various fruit and vegetables.

Potatoes! I forgot that there was a starch source that Peat recommends. Thank you.

OP
L

lampofred

I had issues with OJ, so I used organic room-temperature clear Apple Juice while dosing Tbsp of sugar throughout the day. Just be aware that most clear apple juices are basically rancid. I never noticed this until I used high-end organic AJ, and then everything else tasted spoiled.

It's ridiculous how everything is so degraded and we have to go "high-end" to get a level of food quality that should in fact be the norm (and used to be the norm just several decades ago).

tara

Just be aware that most clear apple juices are basically rancid.
I think rancid applies to fats, and I don't think there's much in apple juice.
Apple juice can have mould issues. I've found the clear ones more reliable than the cloudy ones, but worth trying differnt brands to see if there's one that works better. It's not always the more expensive ones that are better, at least where I am.

I love rice, but unfortunately it's always fortified with iron.
Really? You can't get plain rice?

What about stewed apples?
Yum. :)

OP
L

lampofred

I think rancid applies to fats, and I don't think there's much in apple juice.
Apple juice can have mould issues. I've found the clear ones more reliable than the cloudy ones, but worth trying differnt brands to see if there's one that works better. It's not always the more expensive ones that are better, at least where I am.

Really? You can't get plain rice?

Yum. :)

I don't know where you live, but all white rice in the United States is required by law to be fortified with iron.

TheDrumGuy

I agree with you that most OJ out there has that sour taste. I tried a bunch of different brands and the only one that tastes good is Whole Foods organic OJ. I would give it a try before you give up on OJ.

tara

I don't know where you live, but all white rice in the United States is required by law to be fortified with iron.
I'm not in the US. Wow. So not even people with diagnosed hemachromatosis can get rice without it? Same with rice noodles?

Edit: Where I am all/most of the large commercial processed breakfast cereals seem to be 'fortified'.

tara

theLaw

Where do you buy it?

41XTo7tG%2BrL.SX272_SY500_CR,0,0,272,500_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX272_SY500_CR,0,0,272,500_SH20_.jpg

theLaw

It's ridiculous how everything is so degraded and we have to go "high-end" to get a level of food quality that should in fact be the norm (and used to be the norm just several decades ago).
Agreed. I was shocked after I tried 6 different Apple Juices and they all had the same "spoiled" flavor.

Never had this happen before Peating, and can't even remember having bad apple juice out of a sealed bottle.:eek:

omnivoracious

I use organic white jasmine rice from Lundberg and each serving only contains 2% of the recommended amount of iron, so there isn't much iron to be concerned about. I also eat a fair amount of sweet potatoes although I need to keep them at an appropriate amount as too much can make my sinuses run like crazy. Milk has a modest amount of carbohydrate. I also like fruit and tend to stick with melons or mango as I can tolerate a large amount with no problems. I will eat grapes every once in a while but they seem to go bad fairly quickly and the mold can lead to sinus issues.