Nearly All Prescription (and Some Supplements) Pills Contain Highly Allergenic Excipients

haidut

Forum Supporter
Finally a study that directly corroborates one of Peat's most consistent message over the years. Namely, that drugs prescribed by doctors and dietary supplements in the forms of capsules/tablets contain additives/excipients that are not harmless at all and in fact can be responsible for many severe health issues affecting the public at large. Peat's latest newsletter from 2019 actually deals with this very issue but I did not see him reference this study, so I guess this is once again "synchronicity" at work.

“Inactive” ingredients in oral medications
Nearly All Medications Contain Potentially Allergenic Inactive Ingredients, Analysis Shows

"..Inactive ingredients are supposed to improve a medication’s taste, appearance, absorption, or shelf life without any noticeable effect. But they aren’t always behind-the-scenes players. Some are allergens that can cause adverse events, and they’re present in nearly all prescription and over-the-counter pills and capsules, according to a recent analysis in Science Translational Medicine. The analysis indicates that clinical reports of adverse reactions triggered by inactive ingredients are on the upswing. Some are type 1 hypersensitivity allergic reactions that produce immunoglobulin E, causing symptoms such as urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm, or anaphylaxis. Although severe allergic reactions are infrequent, many more people are intolerant of inactive ingredients such as lactose, which can cause gastrointestinal upset in people with insufficient lactase. The investigators found that nearly 93% of all solid oral medications contain at least 1 potential inactive ingredient—a chemical dye or peanut oil, for example—that could provoke an allergic reaction.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:rightagain2

Ray Peat has definitely reached wizard status.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I agree, and only want to add that intelligence alone is not enough. Kindness of heart is also imperative. I actually respect Peat more for his character, because a more nefarious person with such knowledge could have easily become a servant of evil :):

Cirion

I quit ALL supplements a month or two ago and haven't looked back since. I never found any long term benefits from supplementation. And now I'm saving money. Food is my source of supplementation now, as it should be.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I agree, and only want to add that intelligence alone is not enough. Kindness of heart is also imperative. I actually respect Peat more for his character, because a more nefarious person with such knowledge could have easily become a servant of evil :):
Agreed. Always admired how kind and giving he is. If more people were Peaty in this virtue the world would be a much better place.

ShotTrue

and make a lot of money.
No fillers is always best, if not just to remove the risk of such allergy

ShotTrue

Tarmander

The way this is presented, people will get the wrong idea haidut. The study says over the counter medications and prescriptions, but the title of the thread says supplements. There are companies in the natural channel that specifically do not use additives. This study is talking about ***t you buy at Walgreens or Walmart.

The study is also not talking about hidden additives that Ray mentions whenever someone has a reaction to vitamin C. This study is talking about additives we know about and can see on the label. Correct me if I am wrong. Under Ray’s definition of additives and allergens, you can throw your supplements in that category as well.

Other then that, totally agree. I buy my supplements that say “other ingredients: vegetable capsule.” And that’s it.

meatbag

The way this is presented, people will get the wrong idea haidut. The study says over the counter medications and prescriptions, but the title of the thread says supplements. There are companies in the natural channel that specifically do not use additives. This study is talking about ***t you buy at Walgreens or Walmart.

The study is also not talking about hidden additives that Ray mentions whenever someone has a reaction to vitamin C. This study is talking about additives we know about and can see on the label. Correct me if I am wrong. Under Ray’s definition of additives and allergens, you can throw your supplements in that category as well.

Other then that, totally agree. I buy my supplements that say “other ingredients: vegetable capsule.” And that’s it.
I think in the most recent interview Peat mentioned that there are some things that are used as processing aids that end up in the product that don't have to be listed on the label

ShotTrue

I think in the most recent interview Peat mentioned that there are some things that are used as processing aids that end up in the product that don't have to be listed on the label
that's a scary thought

Cirion

Nathan Hatch was a huge fan of it, saying ti helped him sleep and not enter a catabolic state overnight. I personally don't have an opinion. Collagen sounds good to add

Gelatin is my preferred protein source at night time. Technically you could argue gelatin is a supplement I guess but I make food with it (Jello).

lampofred

Under Ray’s definition of additives and allergens, you can throw your supplements in that category as well.

... I don't know if you have had a bad experience with his products or something, but his supplements have done me a lot more good than harm (even though I'm not saying they are perfect -- not a fan of DMSO and things like 5a-DHP which Peat clearly says has a high chance of being harmful)

lampofred

Yeah... I don't want to go in the direction of blind acceptance and authoritarianism, but he is not only almost always repeatedly right on everything but also unbelievably generous. By far one of the people I respect the most in the world, truly saint-like...

Tarmander

... I don't know if you have had a bad experience with his products or something, but his supplements have done me a lot more good than harm (even though I'm not saying they are perfect -- not a fan of DMSO and things like 5a-DHP which Peat clearly says has a high chance of being harmful)

No I use some. They are great. Why would you assume I didn’t like them?

Edit: they are additive free too, but probably not according to Peat.

Last edited:

Tarmander

Yeah Ray loves to talk about phantom additives that he knows about without pointing at anything specific.

I’ll try: I have actually heard a lot of stories that companies take those processing aids out that get left in the product so we are good.

Fractality

Ray's too smart for that, knowing that if he were to take that path, his metabolism and health would suffer in corresponding fashion.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

I (partly) agree. The study used the database known as Pillbox as a basis of their results and while that database is mostly pharma drugs it also contains vitamin/mineral products. But like you said, those are mostly ones doctors prescribe or stuff you'd find in Walmart, Target, etc. So, I will change the title to "drugs and some supplements"
https://pillbox.nlm.nih.gov/index.html

Last edited:
OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Correct me if I am wrong. Under Ray’s definition of additives and allergens, you can throw your supplements in that category as well.

Not quite. The study was specifically about pills. Btw, one of the reasons I went with liquid when I started the product line was precisely because it is harder to hide an excipient in a powder with a good COA which then gets turned into a liquid. Things like silica and cellulose do not dissolve well in a liquid. There could still be impurities, but it is lower chance. Same thing can be said of Peat's progesterone if you want to go down that route :):

Tarmander

Not quite. The study was specifically about pills. Btw, one of the reasons I went with liquid when I started the product line was precisely because it is harder to hide an excipient in a powder with a good COA which then gets turned into a liquid. Things like silica and cellulose do not dissolve well in a liquid. There could still be impurities, but it is lower chance. Same thing can be said of Peat's progesterone if you want to go down that route :):
Yeah, it is a rabbit hole that does not bear much fruit. You take a supplement, you don't react well, and the reason is undefined additives. So you try another of the same supplement and have the same result. At what point do you say you just don't react well to that supplement? There could be additives in all of them, or none of them. Annoys me when Peat uses this cope out, which may well be true...or not.

Back
Top Bottom