NDT Question

Waynish

How can NDT supplements have much activated thyroid hormone if the liver is what activates the thyroid hormone (and they're just thyroid glands)? How are they produced such that just the activated thyroid hormone from the liver (in addition to the thyroid gland itself)?

Korven

The human thyroid gland produces about 80% T4, which gets converted peripherally (mostly by the liver), and 20% active thyroid hormone T3. I guess the ratios are about the same in pig and cow thyroid glands - meaning you get mostly T4 and some T3, but also T2 and T1 and calcitonin.

OP
W

Waynish

The human thyroid gland produces about 80% T4, which gets converted peripherally (mostly by the liver), and 20% active thyroid hormone T3. I guess the ratios are about the same in pig and cow thyroid glands - meaning you get mostly T4 and some T3, but also T2 and T1 and calcitonin.
Oh right... That makes sense - so NDT is higher in T4 than I thought. Know of any studies showing the breakdown of different types of thyroid produced by the thyroid gland? I would think it might vary a lot from person to person. And there would be effects that would change the balance - like a higher stress state should change the t3/t4 ration coming off of the thyroid gland itself.