NDT making things worse?

JohnS

After 5 months of diet alone and only a little change, I decided to try some thyroid glandular to help boost my low body temp and freezing extremities. I started taking Nutri-meds Porcine last week 1/2 tab. The first days seemed to be working. I had a warming effect especially my hands and feet and also an increased appetite. However my morning temps still stayed low 97.7. I upped the dose to 1 tab a couple days ago. Seems like since I did things have gone the other way. My morning temps are still low and even my pulse has slowed back in to the 50's. I no longer have the increased appetite and my hands and feet are freezing most of time!

anyone else had this or similar experience?

jaguar43

JohnS said:
After 5 months of diet alone and only a little change, I decided to try some thyroid glandular to help boost my low body temp and freezing extremities. I started taking Nutri-meds Porcine last week 1/2 tab. The first days seemed to be working. I had a warming effect especially my hands and feet and also an increased appetite. However my morning temps still stayed low 97.7. I upped the dose to 1 tab a couple days ago. Seems like since I did things have gone the other way. My morning temps are still low and even my pulse has slowed back in to the 50's. I no longer have the increased appetite and my hands and feet are freezing most of time!

anyone else had this or similar experience?

Ray Peat answer for desiccated thyroid

Question: Is there a particular brand of desiccated thyroid you recommend. Any comments would be great.

Answers: In the 1970s, there was a study of ten of the products sold in pharmacies as desiccated thyroid, USP, and two of them, Proloid and Armour, were what they claimed to be, the other eight contained no thyroid glandular material at all (analyzed immunologically, a very specific method). Proloid stopped making a glandular product after that, and became Proloid-S, a synthetic similar to Cynoplus. The Armour company sold the pharmaceutical division to Revlon, and over a period of years and changes of ownership the method of manufacture changed; a new owner began processing the glandular powder to extract thyrocalcitonin to sell as a separate product, and a pharmacist on the staff at Forest Pharmaceutical, the present owner, claimed to have no records of previous manufacturing methods, such as biological batch standardization.
The other products that are on the market now don't have the characteristic color, taste, and odor that I recognize as desiccated thyroid, so there's no glandular product that I feel safe using or recommending.

HDD

, I have been using the OTC thyroid for over a year now never knowing if it was working. I also do aspirin, progesterone, Pregnenolone, niacinimide, Vit k, Vit a, red light, sunshine, gelatin, Vit e, coffee, sugar, salt, coconut oil, protein, etc. and now my temps. and pulse are good. In Feb. I hit a low of 94.5. Now, it seems like I am hot most of the time. Today, after breakfast, I was at 98.6 before supplements. I jumped on board with everything right away because I had numbness. I don't use the same brand you use but I am considering stopping and seeing if vitals stay up without it. I don't think morning temp. of 97.7 is bad, do you take it again after breakfast?

Having said all that, I think it depends on the individual. I think there are two kinds of hypothyroidism. One that can be helped/corrected through diet and supplements. And those that will always need to take medication.

OP
J

JohnS

I've been using a lot of the things you mention above except for progesterone and Vit a. I was thinking things were getting better and then this happened. I get the numbness/tingling like you too. It seems to be worse when my extremities are freezing cold. A few days ago when everything was warm even the numbness lessened almost to where i didn't even notice, but it's back now too. This may have nothing to do with the OTC thyroid but it's the only thing I've changed or added. I have not taken my temps after breakfast since this has started the OTC, but when I was taking it before, it was around 98.3 but rarely higher. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

HDD

I also need magnesium or I get leg cramps pretty much in the same spot. It seems to be a balance with sun (Vit.D) and calcium. I use Epsom salt bath some, a little mag. Citrate, and Bakers chocolate. I can't just take supplement because I will get heartburn.
The day my temperature was the lowest, my leg and arm bothered me the most, so a definite correlation.
I am taking vitamin A as it is in one of the articles about MS and I have different skin issues since eating this way. I believe getting enough protein is key. I have to pay attention to make sure to get minimum of 80 grams.
Recently, I took extra aspirin and preg. when I felt chilly in evening and this seemed to get my temp. back up.
Coke always makes me feel better. :D I hope some of this helps. It takes a while to figure everything out.

HDD

A simple protein deficiency has many surprising effects. It lowers body temperature, and suppresses the thyroid, but it increases inflammation and the tendency of blood to clot. Since the brain and heart and lungs require a continuous supply of essential amino acids if they are to continue functioning, in the absence of dietary protein, cortisol must be produced continuously to mobilize amino acids from the expendable tissues, which are mainly the skeletal muscles. These muscles have a high concentration of tryptophan and cysteine, which suppress the thyroid. Cysteine is excitoxic, and tryptophan is the precursor for serotonin. Presumably, their presence in, and stress-induced release from, the muscles is one of the mechanisms that reduce metabolic activity during certain types of stress.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ms.shtml

Just reread this a.m. Do you eat pork? Or use porcine gelatin?

OP
J

JohnS

I checked my pulse this morning. It was still low...97.7 and then 97.9 after breakfast.

Wow, Dr. Peat's articles always make my head spin. I'm going to reread again later :):

I do occasionally eat pork, milk-fed...about once every 10 days. Before discovering Peat while on paleo, I at a lot of pork, especially bacon. I do not use the porcine gelatin, i use the hydro bovine gelatin. The Nutri-Med supplement that i just started taking is porcine.

I don't think I'm deficient in protein. I get well over 100g per day. I do eat muscle meat, mainly grass fed beef but almost always have gelatin with it. Eggs, lots of milk, and cheese are also my main protein sources.
I take one aspirin a day although it concerns me because I have ringing ears and I don't want to make it worse. I also take Vit D, Niacinamide, Vit E, Folate, Pregnenolone, Vit K.

I don't supplement magnesium, I thought I was getting enough with foods but maybe I'll give that a go. I was just looking at the Natural Calm today. What's the best form of magnesium?

HDD

Balanced proteins, such as cheese, potatoes, eggs, and beef- or lamb-broth (for the gelatin and mineral content in particular) will prevent the tryptophan excess that suppresses the thyroid and is potentially a nerve toxin. Saturated fats, used regularly, reduce the immediate toxic antimetabolic effects of the stored unsaturated fats, but it takes a long time to change the balance of stored fats.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ms.shtml

I just noticed this!

I have used Calm. RP suggests Epsom salt baths or foot soak and coffee. There is a discussion in this forum about magnesium and I believe some use a magnesium oil.

Jenn

JohnS said:
I checked my pulse this morning. It was still low...97.7 and then 97.9 after breakfast.

Wow, Dr. Peat's articles always make my head spin. I'm going to reread again later :):

I do occasionally eat pork, milk-fed...about once every 10 days. Before discovering Peat while on paleo, I at a lot of pork, especially bacon. I do not use the porcine gelatin, i use the hydro bovine gelatin. The Nutri-Med supplement that i just started taking is porcine.

I don't think I'm deficient in protein. I get well over 100g per day. I do eat muscle meat, mainly grass fed beef but almost always have gelatin with it. Eggs, lots of milk, and cheese are also my main protein sources.
I take one aspirin a day although it concerns me because I have ringing ears and I don't want to make it worse. I also take Vit D, Niacinamide, Vit E, Folate, Pregnenolone, Vit K.

I don't supplement magnesium, I thought I was getting enough with foods but maybe I'll give that a go. I was just looking at the Natural Calm today. What's the best form of magnesium?

Ringing in the ears is calcification of the cell in that area. Home remedy is ACV in the ears via Qtip. Works. Personal experience and friends. Getting enough potassium in the diet helps too.

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Ringing in the ears is calcification of the cell in that area. Home remedy is ACV in the ears via Qtip. Works. Personal experience and friends. Getting enough potassium in the diet helps too.
Jenn, does this also work with the experience/feeling of fullness in the ear?
Thanks!

Jenn

I am not sure. I have a few friends who either have that issue or their husbands do. I picked up on the ACV in the ear part, but it didn't occur tome to ask about frequency. :roll: When I had the issue, I just did it at night for a few weeks. It was a new problem due to a change in environmental stresses. They had ongoing issues and I don't know how often they did it.