Natural Thyroid For Insomnia/Anxiety?

DMF

Has anyone ever noticed a change in their sleeping patterns after taking dessicated thyroid - better/worse/strange? How about anxiety levels?

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
The first week or two it can actually mess it up a little as the body becomes more sensitive to adrenaline. Beyond that it should help with sleep and make it deeper and more rejuvenating as you will have more energy to properly relax.

jyb

I've seen more effects on sleep and anxiety by pregnelonone so far. Been on thyroid for less than two months and on pregnelonone less than a week. It makes me more relaxed and resilient a bit like when you are reasonably full after a good meal - it maintains that feeling for a long time, even when I wake up at night I will feel it. It seems very useful, unless the body gets accustomed to it and previous levels of anxiety return.

RRT

The right dosage of thyroid should improve anxiety and sleep in several ways.

Increased production of the youth-associated steroids
Improved glycogen storage and release
Less serotonergic & pituitary and adrenal stress activity
Increased energy & CO2 providing cellular stability
Improved magnesium retention
Better circulation to the intestines

Without enough dietary sugar to compensate for the increased metabolism as a result of thyroid supplementation, some people could experience anxiety or sleep disruption from hypoglycemia. Like Charlie mentioned, Broda Barnes suggested that thyroid can make some more sensitive to the effects of adrenaline; but I don't recall Dr. Peat mentioning that directly.

Joocy_J

RRT said:

Without enough dietary sugar to compensate for the increased metabolism as a result of thyroid supplementation, some people could experience anxiety or sleep disruption from hypoglycemia. Like Charlie mentioned, Broda Barnes suggested that thyroid can make some more sensitive to the effects of adrenaline; but I don't recall Dr. Peat mentioning that directly.

Does anyone find that thyroid sups make their sleep worse by sensitizing them to the adrenaline rush at two or three am?

J

jb116

Joocy_J said:
post 99131
RRT said:

Does anyone find that thyroid sups make their sleep worse by sensitizing them to the adrenaline rush at two or three am?

yes, I started thiroyd almost 3 weeks ago and the past week and a half I've been waking up middle of the night, most often not even feeling hungry. I think I am going to stop taking it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joocy_J

jb116 said:
post 99134
Joocy_J said:
post 99131
RRT said:

yes, I started thiroyd almost 3 weeks ago and the past week and a half I've been waking up middle of the night, most often not even feeling hungry. I think I am going to stop taking it.

Ok, good to hear that someone else is having these issues too. I thought for a awhile that being hypo was causing my low libido, but now I think that it may be poor sleep from the NDT.

I had good results t3 synthetic, but this stopped after my first week of dosing. The combos I have left to try are:

t3 only
t4 + NDT
t4 only

Oh also, did your metabolic rate increase with the thyroid? Mine did, but strangely it did not help sleep - which is annoying because it solved other issues.

J

jb116

Joocy_J said:
post 99140
jb116 said:
post 99134
Joocy_J said:
post 99131
RRT said:

Ok, good to hear that someone else is having these issues too. I thought for a awhile that being hypo was causing my low libido, but now I think that it may be poor sleep from the NDT.

I had good results t3 synthetic, but this stopped after my first week of dosing. The combos I have left to try are:

t3 only
t4 + NDT
t4 only

Oh also, did your metabolic rate increase with the thyroid? Mine did, but strangely it did not help sleep - which is annoying because it solved other issues.

I can honestly say I haven't really felt much from the NDT, other than this sleep disturbance. No temp changes either. Originally I wanted the synthetic T3/T4 but I have no idea where to acquire it. :(

tara

Possible explanation in some cases?:
Supplement thyroid -> increase base metabolic rate -> increase calorie needs -> burn through glycogen stores and other nutrients (eg Mg) quicker -> stress hormones increase (to raise blood sugar) -> wake up