Natural sources of policosanol: Wheat, sugar cane and beeswax

Mufasa

This article shows the policosanol content of some natural food sources.

Wheat:

1620456976893.png

Haidut also reported that tocovit (which is made of wheat germ) contains around 10-18mg per serving.

Sugar cane:

1620457059469.png

Beeswax:

1620457135102.png

I found this the most surprising and potentially useful. This would mean that only 1-2g of brown beeswax and 2-4g of yellow beeswax contain the PC dosage of 10-20mg used in studies.
I guess you don't need to eat that much honeycomb or beeswax to achieve that.

Attachments

• document.pdf
    145.5 KB · Views: 28
OP
M

Mufasa

Beeswax continues to amaze me. 1 gram of yellow beeswax not only contains 5.2 mg of policosanol, it also contains very rare long-chain fatty acids:

lignoceric acid (C24) 10 mg
cerotic acid (C26) 44mg
montanic acid (C28) 26mg
melissic acid (C30) 20mg

I'm not sure if 26mg of montanic acid works similarly to 26mg of octacosanol, I thought they should work similarly.

Anyway, I took some beeswax today. Not sure exactly how much, maybe around 1 gram. I melted in my mouth together with white chocolate, as it won't melt otherwise as it so super saturated lol. I think it probably digests better this way.

I feel super warm and glowing some hours after it. Oral temperature is 37.4 C (99.32 F).

OccamzRazer

Beeswax continues to amaze me. 1 gram of yellow beeswax not only contains 5.2 mg of policosanol, it also contains very rare long-chain fatty acids:

lignoceric acid (C24) 10 mg
cerotic acid (C26) 44mg
montanic acid (C28) 26mg
melissic acid (C30) 20mg

I'm not sure if 26mg of montanic acid works similarly to 26mg of octacosanol, I thought they should work similarly.

Anyway, I took some beeswax today. Not sure exactly how much, maybe around 1 gram. I melted in my mouth together with white chocolate, as it won't melt otherwise as it so super saturated lol. I think it probably digests better this way.

I feel super warm and glowing some hours after it. Oral temperature is 37.4 C (99.32 F).
This is really cool, thnx for sharing!

Did not know you could eat pure beeswax. It's not surprising that the long-chain fats present in both the beeswax and the chocolate would be super warming.

Love honeycomb and propolis though. Who knows how many yet-to-be-discovered compounds are in bee products.

OccamzRazer

Also...if policosanol is fat-soluble, couldn't it be extracted in alcohol?

Just wondering about letting rum + beeswax or propolis sit for a while, then drinking the strained mixture :joyful:

revenant

Rum contains policosanols naturally, Jamaican style rum more so than others.

OP
M

Mufasa

@Mufasa anything new to report with regards to beeswax?

Still using it, just started with a new batch with 20% beeswax, 80% cocoa butter. It barely melts on my tongue, so probably will try 15% next time.

I have been using it on and off, and one thing interesting, if I don't use it, my girlfriend demands me to go get a haircut, lol.
My hair is very long at the moment. But when I use it, she is like, oh it is actually fine, it suddenly goes automatically in model again.
At some point she made an appointment for me (when I was out of beeswax), to cancel it later (when I started using beeswax again).

My hair looks much more alive with beeswax (I'm not applying it to my hair, just from ingesting it).

Inaut

@Mufasa do you melt the wax first or just chew it with chocolate or another type of fat?

Lejeboca

Still using it, just started with a new batch with 20% beeswax, 80% cocoa butter. It barely melts on my tongue, so probably will try 15% next time.

In herb salve making, a typical beewax to liquid(ified) oil ratio is 1 oz of beewax to 1 cup of oil (using a volume-to-weight method). From my experience, this ratio produces a pleasant texture that melts well but is not runny like a lotion.

Assuming that densities of liquid oils in ambient temperatures are about 10% less than water, then a (US) cup of 237 ml would contain about 213 g of oil; and since 1oz is about 28g, this salve making method would call for about 13% of beewax, which is close to the 15% that you've mentioned.

yerrag

Also...if policosanol is fat-soluble, couldn't it be extracted in alcohol?

Just wondering about letting rum + beeswax or propolis sit for a while, then drinking the strained mixture :joyful:
It's very hard to dissolve policasonal, although ethanol is one of the best solvents for it. Still, it is hard.

I only found out how to dissolve policosanol in ethanol, by a search that lead me to a study that involved having to dissolve policosanol into a solution, to be able to use it. It involved dissolving 20mg of policosanol in 10 ml of ethanol with the use of a sonicator. The reason I was looking into it was because I wanted to make a topical solution of cyclodextrin and vitamin E. Adding policosanol would be nice as it is part of the original vitamin E made before vitamin E got reformulated.

And I was intending to use the solution to remove oxidized ldl from arterial plaque that causes atherosclerosis. Cyclodextrin was mentioned by Ray in his Nov 2018 newsletter.

But I may not have to do that knowing that @Mufasa can take in beeswax with the policosanol in it, with the beeswax being able to mix in with chocolate as they're being eaten together. I wonder if I can incorporate cyclodextrin and vitamin E to this mix. And eating it is much less bothersome as having to apply topically.

A lot of testing still has to be done, but at least I don't have to buy a sonicator. I was looking at some ultrasonic cleaners already. and didn't want to buy a cheap one that may not work well, and buying an expensive one would be a waste if I don't get it to work.

OP
M

Mufasa

@Mufasa do you melt the wax first or just chew it with chocolate or another type of fat?

I melt the cocoa butter and/or coconut oil together with beeswax in a pan, heat it up until everything is melted, stir it very well for a couple of minutes and then put it in a glass jar.

That is how I eat it now, before I chew it together with chocolate indeed.

Dr. B

I melt the cocoa butter and/or coconut oil together with beeswax in a pan, heat it up until everything is melted, stir it very well for a couple of minutes and then put it in a glass jar.

That is how I eat it now, before I chew it together with chocolate indeed.
where do you get plain beeswax from and how does it taste on its own? is it a pure saturated fat similar to coconut oil?

Inaut

I’ve been chewing beeswax and I quite like it. I think it makes it more digestible and much safer to ingest due to saliva and enzyme production, it’s also good for your jawline and can give you a steady source of policosanols throughout the day. It’s also probably good for your gums.

Dr. B

I’ve been chewing beeswax and I quite like it. I think it makes it more digestible and much safer to ingest due to saliva and enzyme production, it’s also good for your jawline and can give you a steady source of policosanols throughout the day. It’s also probably good for your gums.
how long does it last when you chew it? is it all saturated fats or whats it made of?
where do you buy it from, and do you think it could cause allergenic effects to people with allergies to pollen?
do you just chew it and spit it out or swallow it as you chew?

Inaut

how long does it last when you chew it? is it all saturated fats or whats it made of?
where do you buy it from, and do you think it could cause allergenic effects to people with allergies to pollen?
do you just chew it and spit it out or swallow it as you chew?
So I chewed a 1 gram piece for about 1.5 hours. It disintegrated completely by that time. I bought an unrefined source from OM Foods and rectified it. It’s much better than the brand I bought from Amazon and will probably keep doing it this way.
Chew until it disintegrates.

Dr. B

So I chewed a 1 gram piece for about 1.5 hours. It disintegrated completely by that time. I bought an unrefined source from OM Foods and rectified it. It’s much better than the brand I bought from Amazon and will probably keep doing it this way.
Chew until it disintegrates.
i see many beeswax pellets listed on amazon, some of them are organic too, are those fine or is there a certain one you need. seems cheaper and much better than chewing gum, even mastic gum
simply gum or whatever does use a chicle gum base but, every one of their flavors has citric acid in it even cinmmaon/maple, and i had a concern of this and was true, once you chew that gum for 30 minutes or so, your teeth get that acidic feeling of disintegrating like if you drink lots of soda or lemon juice or something

Inaut

i see many beeswax pellets listed on amazon, some of them are organic too, are those fine or is there a certain one you need. seems cheaper and much better than chewing gum, even mastic gum
simply gum or whatever does use a chicle gum base but, every one of their flavors has citric acid in it even cinmmaon/maple, and i had a concern of this and was true, once you chew that gum for 30 minutes or so, your teeth get that acidic feeling of disintegrating like if you drink lots of soda or lemon juice or something
@Mufasa can probably chime in here. The wax I rectified tastes much better than the Amazon brand so I know it’s much safer.

V

valdz

Just ordered beeswax from Starwest-Botanicals but didn't know that you guys are ingesting this. I was planning on making a deodorant with beeswax. That's why I searched here first hoping to get ideas for recipe. Lol. Glad I found this page then!

Sefton10

Hans likes beeswax with his beef!

E2EC4EB5-ED6D-4A58-A48F-96CBA58018DE.jpeg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals