Natural Progesterone Treats Breast Cancer, Synthetic Progestins Promote It

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think as early as the 1980s Ray was already writing about the beneficial effects of progesterone for breast cancer and the negative effects of synthetic progestins (most of which are actually 19-nortestosterone derivatives). The pharma industry published fraudulent studies with which to convince the public that the synthetic progestins are just as good as progesterone but with none of the side effects and potential to metabolize downstream into other "bad" hormones. The reality was actually the exact opposite. The synthetic progestins are mildly progestogenic, significantly androgenic, and worse of all usually agonists of the glucocorticoid receptor (GR). As such, they cause muscle growth, virilization, and often breast / endometrial / ovarian cancers. The famous performance drug THG developed by Patrick Arnold and abused by a number of Olympic record setters was another such synthetic progestin. Peat once wrote that testosterone would be a safer "progestin" than these synthetic poisons. Given that the progestins are 19-nortestosterone derivatives and the track record of THG, this view is not at all surprising.
What is worse, the the carcinogenic effects of those progestins managed to give natural progesterone a bad name, culminating in a few states (especially California) mandating progsterone products to carry a warning label about the cancer link. There are a few groups that did not give up on the idea of progesterone as an actual treatment for breast cancer. One of these groups published a few studies over the last 5 years trying to exonerate natural progesterone and distinguish its effects from the synthetic progestins. The good news is that they are sponsoring a human trial with actual progesterone as treatment for breast cancer. The bad news is that they are still considering using some of the synthetic progesting Megace as adjuvant, and while this synthetic progestin is a progesterone receptor agonist it is also a potent GR agonist as well and can bring about all the bad effects of excessive cortisol (including tumor growth).
Megestrol acetate - Wikipedia

Well, I suppose you can't have only good news in this world, right? At least, bioidentical progesterone is finally getting the clinical attention as a treatment rather than just prevention of cancer.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-12-breast-cancer-patients-benefit-controversial.html

"...An international team of researchers involving the University of Adelaide is tackling the controversy over what some scientists consider to be a "harmful" hormone, arguing that it could be a game changer in the fight against recurring breast cancers that are resistant to standard treatments. The controversy centres on the different effects in women of the naturally occurring sex steroid hormone progesterone compared with synthetic forms (i.e. progestins) designed to mimic its actions."

"...Some, but not all, progestins have been linked with increased breast cancer risk when used in menopausal hormone therapy, leading to concerns in the scientific community about the use of these drugs. However, in a paper now published online ahead of print in the prestigious journal Nature Reviews Cancer, an international team – involving the University of Adelaide's Dame Roma Mitchell Cancer Research Laboratories (DRMCRL) and the Cancer Research UK (CRUK) Cambridge Institute – highlights that progesterone when used in menopausal hormone therapy does not increase breast cancer risk . Indeed, progesterone may have an important role to play in the safe and effective management of recurring breast cancer. "Breast cancer arises because of abnormal hormone activity, with about 75% of these cancers being driven by the oestrogen receptor. Unfortunately, despite good initial responses in many women, drug resistance is common, usually leading to a recurrence and lethal spread of the disease," says Professor Wayne Tilley, Director of the Dame Roma Mitchell Cancer Research Laboratories at the University of Adelaide, and a lead author of the paper."

"..."There is a natural 'crosstalk' between oestrogen and progesterone receptors that we strongly believe can be exploited," he says. "In particular, progesterone can reprogram oestrogen action in the breast in a way that results in oestrogen receptor action improving breast cancer outcomes. Because of this unique interaction of the two natural female sex hormones in the breast, we see great potential benefits in adding progesterone to existing drugs that target the oestrogen receptor, thereby helping to switch off the growth of cancer cells."

"..."Unfortunately, there are some serious misconceptions about the role of progesterone in cancer biology that have so far prevented it from being widely used in the management of breast cancer. We hope to change that thinking," Professor Tilley says. The team, which is highly regarded for its research into both breast and prostate cancer, believes this new paper will have a global impact on clinical, scientific and public opinion on the relative risks and benefits of using progesterone and certain progestins to treat women with breast cancer. "Ultimately, we hope this work will eventually result in saving women's lives," Professor Tilley says."

"...The real proof will come from two new clinical trials being conducted by the international team, with patients being recruited for the studies in the UK early next year. One trial in collaboration with a UK group at the University of Liverpool will test the potential benefit of combining progesterone treatment with the breast cancer drug Tamoxifen in premenopausal women with breast cancer."

Catcream

I told one of my 'treatment ' providers that I was supplementing with natural progesterone to treat my breast cancer. She went through the roof and told me I was feeding the cancer. I explained it was natural not synthetic and she said it's probably worse. I'm glad to read this .

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I told one of my 'treatment ' providers that I was supplementing with natural progesterone to treat my breast cancer. She went through the roof and told me I was feeding the cancer. I explained it was natural not synthetic and she said it's probably worse. I'm glad to read this .

Please do show her this and share what she says. I think a lot of doctors don't even know progesterone is different from the progestins.

aguilaroja

Please do show her this and share what she says. I think a lot of doctors don't even know progesterone is different from the progestins.

Here is a 2016 full access article, also authored by Dr. J.S. Carroll, who is referenced in the news article mentioned by @haidut. The provider who insists that bio-identical progesterone is “probably worse” is dismissing what is quaintly called, you know, data and science.

Progesterone receptor modulates estrogen receptor-α action in breast cancer

“However, the increased risk of breast cancer associated with progestogen-containing HRT is mainly attributed to specific synthetic progestins, in particular medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA), which is known to also have androgenic properties. The relative risk is not significant when native progesterone is used….While activation of PR may promote breast cancer in some women and in some model systems, progesterone treatment has been shown to be antiproliferative in ERα+ PR+ breast cancer cell lines and progestogens have been shown to oppose estrogen-stimulated growth of an ERα+ PR+ patient-derived xenograft."

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
However, the increased risk of breast cancer associated with progestogen-containing HRT is mainly attributed to specific synthetic progestins, in particular medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA)

That's part I don't understand about the news article I posted. They are aware of the risks of synthetic progestins and still propose to use megestrol acetate (MGA), which may be a bit safer than MPA, but is still an agonist of GR and has some androgenic activity. So, why propose it as add-on therapy to bioidentical progesterone? Do you see some rationale in their study that I don't? Maybe because MPA is solidly linked to causing breast cancer while MGA is not (yet)? But still, why not just use progesterone, which is what the study is all about?

Catcream

I've shared lots of articles from Ray Peat's site , from this site via Haidut and other texts I've read , over the past two years with treatment providers. It is simply not in their modus operandi. I became alarmed and stopped the progest e but , seeing as the cancer is spreading, think I'll start again. I have forwarded on the article to doctors concerned. Thanks again

freyasam

I've shared lots of articles from Ray Peat's site , from this site via Haidut and other texts I've read , over the past two years with treatment providers. It is simply not in their modus operandi. I became alarmed and stopped the progest e but , seeing as the cancer is spreading, think I'll start again. I have forwarded on the article to doctors concerned. Thanks again

Catcream, wondering how you are doing and how the progest e has worked for you. Hope you are well.

Catcream

Hello freysam . Thank you, that’s really kind .
I’m actually pretty good ! Although the cancer has spread around my skeleton quite a bit more , it hasn’t appeared in my organs apparently, which is atypical of a her2+ cancer . I didn’t go back to the progest e but consequently spoke to another onco , an American this time, who didn’t think it was a concern . Apparently normally the cancer would be in my organs by this stage so I am happy at the moment . They really did suggest the end was nigh , it was really frightening and said it was a matter of time - so I am in a good space now . Thanks for asking :)

L

lollipop

Hello freysam . Thank you, that’s really kind .
I’m actually pretty good ! Although the cancer has spread around my skeleton quite a bit more , it hasn’t appeared in my organs apparently, which is atypical of a her2+ cancer . I didn’t go back to the progest e but consequently spoke to another onco , an American this time, who didn’t think it was a concern . Apparently normally the cancer would be in my organs by this stage so I am happy at the moment . They really did suggest the end was nigh , it was really frightening and said it was a matter of time - so I am in a good space now . Thanks for asking :)
Hi @Catcream! Congratulations - sending you good thoughts for continued good news. What is your protocol? I have read several studies posted by Haidut about Aspirin helping heal breast cancer. Did you see those?

Catcream

Hi @Catcream! Congratulations - sending you good thoughts for continued good news. What is your protocol? I have read several studies posted by Haidut about Aspirin helping heal breast cancer. Did you see those?
Hi Lisa . Yes it’s a lot better than it was . I take niacinmide aspirin k2 and vit d and obviously avoid pufa like the plague. I’ve been switched to letrozole and zoladex to put me in menopause. Interestingly when I was first diagnosed I asked to go on this drug - on RPs advice - but was told it was for post menopausal women only - wasn’t offered the zoladex which was only offered 4 months ago despite the cancer spreading round my skeleton. Very very disappointed by the oncologist. Have had to fight radiation as I chose not to have that again as well as a bisphosphinate as they seem so dangerous. I’ve been basically accused of being an annoying patient but I’m pretty sure that my protocols I learnt via RP , haiduts posts etc have given me
Longevity.

L

lollipop

Hi Lisa . Yes it’s a lot better than it was . I take niacinmide aspirin k2 and vit d and obviously avoid pufa like the plague. I’ve been switched to letrozole and zoladex to put me in menopause. Interestingly when I was first diagnosed I asked to go on this drug - on RPs advice - but was told it was for post menopausal women only - wasn’t offered the zoladex which was only offered 4 months ago despite the cancer spreading round my skeleton. Very very disappointed by the oncologist. Have had to fight radiation as I chose not to have that again as well as a bisphosphinate as they seem so dangerous. I’ve been basically accused of being an annoying patient but I’m pretty sure that my protocols I learnt via RP , haiduts posts etc have given me
Longevity.
Aaaaawwww...this is amazing @Catcream! Hoping others read this and are inspired. I totally get not wanting radiation. Good for you.

Sam Suska

Forum Supporter
Longevity.

Hi @Catcream - how are you doing?

Hugh Johnson

There was a woman who made a cited argument to a medical doctor about the radiation from cell phone towers being dangerous. The doctor did not look at the evidence and instead had the woman involuntary institutionalized.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
There was a woman who made a cited argument to a medical doctor about the radiation from cell phone towers being dangerous. The doctor did not look at the evidence and instead had the woman involuntary institutionalized.

No worries, the joke is on him. He will die much earlier than her given he mostly likely has a Bluetooth earpiece and the mental institution usually bans cellphones in both doctors and patients.

ddjd

I think a lot of doctors don't even know progesterone is different from the progestins.
my girlfriend is a gynaecologist and doesn't have a clue about natural bio-identical progesterone. its so worrying. oh the arguments we have....