NATURAL Anti-Histamine Besides Quercetin? TCM Possibly?

SOMO

Does anyone have any experience with anti-histamine herbs or functional supplements without Quercetin, which is supposedly mildly estrogenic.

hmac

Does anyone have any experience with anti-histamine herbs or functional supplements without Quercetin, which is supposedly mildly estrogenic.
Never seen anything as effective as vitamin C for dealing with high histamine levels.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

It is quite estrogenic. Have you tried l-Theanine. Also dong quai. But it is estrogenic too.

I used to drink green tea heavily and found it to be effective at reducing hay fever symptoms, but the fluoride is a pretty strong thyroid disruptor.
Supplemented L-Theanine might be a good route.

There's also some substance in Bile/Bile acids that is antihistamine but I don't know if it's ever been identified:
However NAS activity could be separated from bile acids and their conjugates using a different solvent system. Furthermore, NAS showed a higher antihistamine activity than bile acids. This substance seems to be responsible for 15-20% of the activity of whole bile. The substance has not yet been identified.
Study of the natural antihistamine-like substance in bile in mammals. - PubMed - NCBI

zewe

Hi SOMO:

I have Histamine Intolerance/Mast Cell Activation Syndrome. So, I've learned much about keeping my histamine levels low through diet and lowering levels when they're high.
This runs in my family.

Celtic salt held at the tip of the tongue [1/8 to 1/4 tsp] hold until it starts to dissolve, immediately drink about 2 cups water. Salt is a natural antihistamine....do not use table salt as it has been stripped of all it's minerals. I prefer Celtic over Himalayan salt.

Chlorella and Spirulina both have antihistamine properties, forget the pills/caps, use powder. I used to take both in water [with salt on tongue] but spirulina is fishy tasting. I use 9 - 12 grams of chlorella in approx. 2 cups H2O [with the salt]. Chlorella has the added benefit of removing heavy metals. Since the body is the most toxic in the morning, this is the very 1st thing I do. It is packed with nutrients and I don't eat as much anymore.

Pregnenolone is a godsend, as it works very rapidly to clear my sinuses. I take 1/2 of a 25 mg sublingual in the morning and maybe the other half around lunchtime.

Holy Basil: can take as tea or caps.

Yes, vitamin C.....I take rose hips like the old timers did.

Logan-

ray told me he'd heard good things about quercetin from people

Really? I thought quercetin wasn't liked around here, because of its estrogenic and anti-thyroid effects.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Apr;66:23-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2014.01.016. Epub 2014 Jan 18.

The flavonoid quercetin inhibits thyroid-restricted genes expression and thyroid function.

Giuliani C1, Bucci I2, Di Santo S3, Rossi C4, Grassadonia A5, Piantelli M6, Monaco F7, Napolitano G8.

Author information

Abstract

Quercetin is the most abundant flavonoid present in a broad range of fruit and vegetables. Furthermore, quercetin is available as dietary supplements that are based on its antioxidant, antiproliferative and anti-inflammatory properties. However, concerns have been raised about the potential toxic effects of excessive intake of quercetin, and several studies have demonstrated that flavonoids, included quercetin, can interfere with thyroid function. In a previous report, we showed that quercetin inhibits thyroid-cell growth and iodide uptake. The latter effect was associated with down-regulation of sodium/iodide symporter gene expression. In the present study, we have evaluated the effects of quercetin on the expression of other thyroid-restricted genes, and we show that quercetin decreases the expression of the thyrotropin receptor, thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin genes. We further investigated the inhibitory effects of quercetin on thyroid function in vivo through evaluation of radioiodine uptake in the Sprague-Dawley rat, which was significantly decreased after 14 days of quercetin treatment. These data confirm that quercetin can act as a thyroid disruptor, and they suggest that caution is needed in its supplemental and therapeutic use.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:

Endocrine disruptor; FRTL-5; Quercetin; Radioiodide uptake; Rat; Thyroid

The flavonoid quercetin inhibits thyroid-restricted genes expression and thyroid function. - PubMed - NCBI

I've heard very good things about quercetin too, but stayed away from it because of the impression I've got from here.

Really? I thought quercetin wasn't liked around here, because of its estrogenic and anti-thyroid effects.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Apr;66:23-9. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2014.01.016. Epub 2014 Jan 18.

The flavonoid quercetin inhibits thyroid-restricted genes expression and thyroid function.

Giuliani C1, Bucci I2, Di Santo S3, Rossi C4, Grassadonia A5, Piantelli M6, Monaco F7, Napolitano G8.

Author information

Abstract

Quercetin is the most abundant flavonoid present in a broad range of fruit and vegetables. Furthermore, quercetin is available as dietary supplements that are based on its antioxidant, antiproliferative and anti-inflammatory properties. However, concerns have been raised about the potential toxic effects of excessive intake of quercetin, and several studies have demonstrated that flavonoids, included quercetin, can interfere with thyroid function. In a previous report, we showed that quercetin inhibits thyroid-cell growth and iodide uptake. The latter effect was associated with down-regulation of sodium/iodide symporter gene expression. In the present study, we have evaluated the effects of quercetin on the expression of other thyroid-restricted genes, and we show that quercetin decreases the expression of the thyrotropin receptor, thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin genes. We further investigated the inhibitory effects of quercetin on thyroid function in vivo through evaluation of radioiodine uptake in the Sprague-Dawley rat, which was significantly decreased after 14 days of quercetin treatment. These data confirm that quercetin can act as a thyroid disruptor, and they suggest that caution is needed in its supplemental and therapeutic use.

Copyright © 2014 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.

KEYWORDS:

Endocrine disruptor; FRTL-5; Quercetin; Radioiodide uptake; Rat; Thyroid

The flavonoid quercetin inhibits thyroid-restricted genes expression and thyroid function. - PubMed - NCBI

I've heard very good things about quercetin too, but stayed away from it because of the impression I've got from here.
Ray did say he’d heard good things about quercetin when I asked him. I almost have qualms about bringing it up Bc it’s not something I think he necessarily put a lot of thought into as an answer. He still recommended thyroid and vitamin d , the usual , and didn’t recommend quercetin or ketotifen but just said he’d heard good things. I think that maybe the estrogenic activity of phytoestrogens can sometimes be weak but the antithyrojd activiry would concern me more. But not a ton of good mast cell stabilizers out there

Yeah I take Cypro but I need higher and higher doses. Sometimes I get near 8mg and that seems like it could be too much. I had been starting with 1 mg when my issues were less severe and that sometimes really helped

Makrosky

Vitamin C. You don't need really big doses. Personally, 2-3 grams a day would stop a cats allergy and lessen seasickness a lot.

Don't need to take a pharma drug like cyproheptadine if you can achieve the same with Vitamin C.

I take around that much liposomal c and I still feel bad from mold.

But I’m wondering about what the max safe dose of cyproheptadine is and whether it’s safe to take daily

Logan-

These are some alternative anti-histamines. Not saying any of them are safe or not.

bromelain

quercetin

stinging nettle

butterbur

feverfew

vitamin c

ginger

mangosteen

N-Acetyl Cysteine or NAC

EGCG allows me to function during hay fever season without renewing my prescription for corticosteriod nasal spray (which a trustworthy MD told me may over time thin the skin where applied).

lampofred

Keeping blood sugar up is one of the main things that lowers histamine release.

OP
SOMO

SOMO

EGCG allows me to function during hay fever season without renewing my prescription for corticosteriod nasal spray (which a trustworthy MD told me may over time thin the skin where applied).

ECGC concerns me because of the potential of liver toxicity.

golder

Bump. Really keen on finding the best natural anti-histamine that I can find, with the least estrogenic activity. Anyone got any feedback or personal experiences? Thanks guys!