Natto: Vitamin K2, Nattokinase, B.Subtilis. A Peat Food?

dookie

So natto contains some beneficial things (Vitamin K2, Nattokinase, bacteria like B.Subtilis). But I read contradictory information on its estrogen content. Some people say "fermented soy products, like natto and tempeh, don't affect estrogen". Other says: "natto is a good source of soy isoflavones and phytoestrogens, beneficial for menopausal women with hot flashes".

Does anyone know if natto is safe, as far as estrogen is concerned?

@haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
So natto contains some beneficial things (Vitamin K2, Nattokinase, bacteria like B.Subtilis). But I read contradictory information on its estrogen content. Some people say "fermented soy products, like natto and tempeh, don't affect estrogen". Other says: "natto is a good source of soy isoflavones and phytoestrogens, beneficial for menopausal women with hot flashes".

Does anyone know if natto is safe, as far as estrogen is concerned?

@haidut

It is safer than raw soy but I still would not use on a daily basis.

Apple

As I remember Ray Peat talked a lot about lipofuscin...
I'm going to give natto a try.

Natto (fermented soybean) extract extends the adult lifespan of Caenorhabditis elegans.
Abstract

We investigated the effects of a water extract of natto on the aging of the nematode Caenorhabditis elegans. The water extract significantly prolonged the adult lifespan of the wild-type worms and rendered them resistant to oxidative and thermal stress. In addition, treatment with natto extract significantly delayed the accumulation of lipofuscin, a characteristic of aging cells. Our findings suggest that components of natto have a beneficial anti-aging effect in vivo.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

FredSonoma

I ate it every day for more than 2 years lol, after I had started Peating. It definitely will help keep you regular if that is an issue for you, however it seems to make me feel tired / lethargic, which I always assumed was the estrogenic effect. I still occasionally eat it.

Jessie

I could never get over the awful flavor of natto. I stopped eating it after I made the switch to Peat's views on things. I did try miso soup for the first time a couple months ago, and I actually really liked it. Not sure if it has the same benefits as natto, but it's fermented soy.

Apple

How did it go?
Fermented soy beans were giving too much gas so I switched to garbanzos ( it appears to be easier to make natto with garbanzos and has same amount of k2 and less stinky ) and I boil my natto before eating it so as to kill bacteria.
If vit k2 were cheaper I would rather buy it. They sell it as some super vitamin for super price.
One spoon of natto will cover recommended daily intake of k2 and k2 from natto circulates in blood stream for 3 days as I know.

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Fermented soy beans were giving too much gas so I switched to garbanzos ( it appears to be easier to make natto with garbanzos and has same amount of k2 ) and I boil my natto before eating it so as to kill bacteria.
Are you making the natto/garbanzo yourself?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
yes, garbanzos are dirty cheap here, All I needed was pressure cooker and a sourse of bacteria ( I get it from frozen soy natto).
Very good, thank you! :hattip

Serge

To make sure, is the K2 content in Natto depends on the bacteria or it has to do with soy beans? Somehow soy beans are not popular were I live and I can't easily find it, so I've been making Natto from all sorts of red beans. Or maybe even beans are not necessary, and it can be made with grains and will still have K2?

Michael Mohn

To make sure, is the K2 content in Natto depends on the bacteria or it has to do with soy beans? Somehow soy beans are not popular were I live and I can't easily find it, so I've been making Natto from all sorts of red beans. Or maybe even beans are not necessary, and it can be made with grains and will still have K2?
I found a company that offered different b.subtilis strains for the production of functional/health foods. One food they proposed was chocolate with subtilis. That sounded very interesting maybe somebody wants to start a business making natto chocolate ?

Attachments

• DE_ChocolateWhitePaper.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals