Naringenin, Naringin Supplements?

dookie

Are there any supplements out there which contain only Naringenin and/or Naringin ?

I get some good effects from OJ, unfortunately I also seem to have an allergy to oranges, with sneezing, runny nose, short breath... Since no other fruit juices produce the beneficial effects of orange juice, I'm assuming either naringenin or naringin could be responsible for the good effects. However, all the supplements I have seen on the market with these two flavonoids also contain something like a dozen other ingredients.

Is it even possible to get them in pure powder form or something like that?

zooma

RP has said the opposite. He thinks they are fairly powerful anti-estrogens. I think haidut has posted some studies about this too.

When did Ray say that? I never saw that heard that read that. Maybe he did, but I am positive, 100%, looking at studies, that it is a phytoestrogen. There are many many studies showing this. It may in some cases not be estrogenic but it is not a simple matter.

Double directional adjusting estrogenic effect of naringin from Rhizoma drynariae (Gusuibu). - PubMed - NCBI

Naringenin-type flavonoids show different estrogenic effects in mammalian and teleost test systems. - PubMed - NCBI

CONCLUSIONS:
Naringin and naringenin revealed a double directional adjusting function of estrogenic and anti-estrogenic activities. Both of them showed estrogenic agonist activity at low concentration or lack of endogenous estrogen. On the other hand, they also acted as estrogenic antagonists at high concentrations or too much endogenous estrogen. They produced estrogenic and anti-estrogenic effects primarily through selectively binding with ERβ, which could prevent and treat osteoporosis with the mechanism of estrogenic receptor agitation. This paper confirmed the estrogenic and anti-estrogenic activity of naringin and naringenin, and further studies were still essential to study their dose-effect relationship and the anti-osteoporosis mechanism for Rhizoma drynariae in the treatment of osteoporosis and other estrogen deficiency-related diseases.

zooma

I understand where you are coming from, I hesitated to post that because most studies show it acts like other flavonoids.

But I'm almost certain I remember him saying that one of the reasons OJ is so valuable is due to the powerful anti-estrogenic effect of naringenin.

I'll try to find the source when I get a minute.

orange juice caused me to have massive toothache and jaw and gum problems. Once I stopped drinking it, it all got better.

zooma

@ecstatichamster I can't find the exact quote from RP but I've found mentions from quite a few different posters recounting the aromatase inhibitory effect of naringenin.

I think it was mentioned in an interview, I'm planning to listen to a few over the weekend so I'll let you know if I find it.

It would make sense though. Given Ray's opinion on estrogen, and he cautions directly against tea because of the phytoestrogens, I don't think he would drink so much OJ and eat guava if it was estrogenic.

Parsifal

@ecstatichamster I can't find the exact quote from RP but I've found mentions from quite a few different posters recounting the aromatase inhibitory effect of naringenin.

I think it was mentioned in an interview, I'm planning to listen to a few over the weekend so I'll let you know if I find it.

It would make sense though. Given Ray's opinion on estrogen, and he cautions directly against tea because of the phytoestrogens, I don't think he would drink so much OJ and eat guava if it was estrogenic.
Are these the ECGC in tea that are oestrogenic or tannins/polyphenols?

Strange that most of the studies say that naringin/naringenin are oestrogenic. Isn't it the compound in grapefruit that disturbs the P450 pathway in the liver?

I am using guava instead of orange juice with good results. Ray has mentioned that guava has a similar nutrient profile to OJ. When I tried to increase my OJ consumption I had an allergic reaction to it.
But once I switched to guava juice I have done really well and now I love it. Depending on where you live it might be hard to find. I get mine from the frozen section in a Mexican grocery store. Or I will drink the Kern's kind if I am desperate. I would think an Indian grocery store might have it too.
I take the frozen guava and blend them with sugar and water to make juice. I do peel mine but I don't think you have to.

zooma

Are these the ECGC in tea that are oestrogenic or tannins/polyphenols?

Strange that most of the studies say that naringin/naringenin are oestrogenic. Isn't it the compound in grapefruit that disturbs the P450 pathway in the liver?
This isn't something I know much about so I don't want to mislead you. Have a look in the forum search or on Dan's site for Ray's comments.

DaveFoster

Here's some more evidence the naringenin is estrogenic: Effects of tea polyphenols and flavonoids on liver microsomal glucuronidation of estradiol and estrone. - PubMed - NCBI

Similarly, several flavonoids (naringenin, hesperetin, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, flavone, alpha-naphthoflavone and beta-naphthoflavone) also inhibited rat liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone and estradiol to varying degrees. Naringenin and hesperetin displayed the strongest inhibitory effects (IC50 value of approximately 25 microM).

Quality

When did Ray say that? I never saw that heard that read that. Maybe he did, but I am positive, 100%, looking at studies, that it is a phytoestrogen. There are many many studies showing this. It may in some cases not be estrogenic but it is not a simple matter.

On the other hand, they also acted as estrogenic antagonists at high concentrations or too much endogenous estrogen. They produced estrogenic and anti-estrogenic effects primarily through selectively binding with ERβ, which could prevent and treat osteoporosis with the mechanism of estrogenic receptor agitation. This paper confirmed the estrogenic and anti-estrogenic activity of naringin and naringenin, and further studies were still essential to study their dose-effect relationship and the anti-osteoporosis mechanism for Rhizoma drynariae in the treatment of osteoporosis and other estrogen deficiency-related diseases.
Estrogen receptor beta is considered the healthy one, even for males.

Parsifal

Here's some more evidence the naringenin is estrogenic: Effects of tea polyphenols and flavonoids on liver microsomal glucuronidation of estradiol and estrone. - PubMed - NCBI

Similarly, several flavonoids (naringenin, hesperetin, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, flavone, alpha-naphthoflavone and beta-naphthoflavone) also inhibited rat liver microsomal glucuronidation of estrone and estradiol to varying degrees. Naringenin and hesperetin displayed the strongest inhibitory effects (IC50 value of approximately 25 microM).

I gues it's a SERM.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals