Narcolepsy May Be Due To Estrogen

haidut

Forum Supporter
This study found that the estrogen known as estriol was significantly elevated in patients with narcolepsy. While the study is old and aromatase inhibitors were not available at the time, I think they may be a viable therapy for this condition if estrogen is indeed a causative factor. Reminds of the recent study I posted showing AI drugs can treat highly resistant epilepsy. Yet another brain condition where estrogen is not the nice "female" hormones everybody is led to believe it is.

Narcolepsy: increased urinary secretion of estriol. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Recent studies have demonstrated that various endocrine disturbances arc present in narcolepsy. Thus, there is significantly increased urinary output of nor-adrenaline and restricted diurnal variation in the excretion of nor-adrenaline (Giinne h Lidvall 1966). Also, obesity, lowered BMR, and changes in glucose metabolism are frequently encountered (Roberts 1967). The present study adds another possible factor to this array of endocrine abnormalities. A significantly increased output of estriol in a group of male patients with narcolepsy has been demonstrated. However, in the two patients with cxcrelion above the control range the clinical picture of narcolepsy was atypical."

Travis

This could be why Hanibal Lector would always eat the ovaries as a night-time snack.

Last edited:

Regina

This study found that the estrogen known as estriol was significantly elevated in patients with narcolepsy. While the study is old and aromatase inhibitors were not available at the time, I think they may be a viable therapy for this condition if estrogen is indeed a causative factor. Reminds of the recent study I posted showing AI drugs can treat highly resistant epilepsy. Yet another brain condition where estrogen is not the nice "female" hormones everybody is led to believe it is.

Narcolepsy: increased urinary secretion of estriol. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Recent studies have demonstrated that various endocrine disturbances arc present in narcolepsy. Thus, there is significantly increased urinary output of nor-adrenaline and restricted diurnal variation in the excretion of nor-adrenaline (Giinne h Lidvall 1966). Also, obesity, lowered BMR, and changes in glucose metabolism are frequently encountered (Roberts 1967). The present study adds another possible factor to this array of endocrine abnormalities. A significantly increased output of estriol in a group of male patients with narcolepsy has been demonstrated. However, in the two patients with cxcrelion above the control range the clinical picture of narcolepsy was atypical."
There was a stretch of years with me where I would fall asleep in highway driving. I just could not be counted on for more than 45 minutes of driving anywhere.

I noticed this is gone since Peating. I went to a seminar 2.5 hrs away last Saturday. Was totally fine. Did the 4 hr training and then drove home 2.5 hrs in the night. Everything perfectly fine.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This could be why Hanibal Lector would always eat the ovaries as a night-time snack.

Good point. But I think a more likely reason was because of the progesterone (which sedates). Ovaries are the main source of progesterone. Estrogen can be produced anywhere. For a decent estriol dose he would have been much better off getting a serving of placenta. Ok maybe this is getting a bit weird for most people, so I'll stop now :):

Regina

Good point. But I think a more likely reason was because of the progesterone (which sedates). Ovaries are the main source of progesterone. Estrogen can be produced anywhere. For a decent estriol dose he would have been much better off getting a serving of placenta. Ok maybe this is getting a bit weird for most people, so I'll stop now :)
But the TV show Hannibal was so great.

Travis

For a decent estriol dose he would have been much better off getting a serving of placenta.
Slow-cooked placenta, and never in an iron pot. You don't want to run the risk of oxidizing the estradiol back into estrone.

The oxidation of secondary alcohols into ketones is catalyzed by iron and heat.

oxidation.gif

Last edited:

pondering

I just discovered this thread. I have a friend who has narcolepsy pretty bad. Don’t suppose anyone has access to the full research paper if it’s not any trouble to share?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals