Nanoparticles Enhance Fungal Pathogenicity

Nanoparticle decoration impacts airborne fungal pathobiology

There have been a few studies showing that molds can process nanoparticles from the environment , or take particles of metals and turn them into nanoparticle size, but this is one of the most in depth studies on mold and nanoparticles I’ve seen and is in a well regarded journal.
I’m curious why ray isn’t interested in this connection given his interest in nanoparticles. There’s a strong possibility molds can use nanoparticles to make worse toxins

@haidut , @SB4 , @pinacolada @charlie

OP
energyandstruct
In this work, we demonstrate that nanoparticles rapidly assemble on spores under physiologically and ecologically relevant conditions. We provide in vitro and in vivo evidence that nanoparticle coating of the clinically most relevant airborne fungal pathogen, Aspergillus fumigatus, can affect the pathobiological identity and fate of both fungal spores and nanoparticles. Our findings suggest that nanoparticle coating of bioaerosols may be relevant for ecology and human health.

OP
energyandstruct
I really can’t overstate how huge this article is. There have been previous articles showing that molds can use nanoparticles in interesting ways in the lab, and separately that nanoparticles themselves can act differently re the immune system than diffsize particles. But this article puts that all together and studies the interaction Btwn molds and various kinds of nanoparticles both in the lab and in samples from the “wild” showing that mold colonies aggregate nanoparticles in a way that alters the molds pathogenicity! The authors suggest that it’s probable or possible that most mold in the wild is doing this, and so models based on standard mycotoxin toxicity from labs, don’t accounts for this behavior. And it’s published in a good journal.

Vinny

There’s a strong possibility molds can use nanoparticles to make worse toxins
You,d probably won,t believe me, but all my nightmares become real, eventually, yep...

OP
energyandstruct
My main takeaway—we should be studying molds/biotoxins as they exist in the enviroment (wild) where they interact w pollution and particulates of various kinds. I think mold pathogenicity is probably wayyy underestimated bc of this

OP
energyandstruct
You,d probably won,t believe me, but all my nightmares become real, eventually, yep...
I believe you. People were saying mold interacts w nanoparticles to become worse as long ago as the 1990s I believe. But this is the first really in depth article confirming this and in a major scientific journal

OP
energyandstruct
I’m glad peat is concerned w nanoparticles in supplements/medications/foods but I believe inhaled nanoparticles from pollution and mold colonies may present way more of a threat to human health

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals