Naked Mole Rat 18 Mins Without Oxygen

Drareg

Abstract
The African naked mole-rat’s (Heterocephalus glaber) social and subterranean lifestyle generates a hypoxic niche. Under experimental conditions, naked mole-rats tolerate hours of extreme hypoxia and survive 18 minutes of total oxygen deprivation (anoxia) without apparent injury. During anoxia, the naked mole-rat switches to anaerobic metabolism fueled by fructose, which is actively accumulated and metabolized to lactate in the brain. Global expression of the GLUT5 fructose transporter and high levels of ketohexokinase were identified as molecular signatures of fructose metabolism. Fructose-driven glycolytic respiration in naked mole-rat tissues avoids feedback inhibition of glycolysis via phosphofructokinase, supporting viability. The metabolic rewiring of glycolysis can circumvent the normally lethal effects of oxygen deprivation, a mechanism that could be harnessed to minimize hypoxic damage in human disease.

Fructose-driven glycolysis supports anoxia resistance in the naked mole-rat | Science

Health recommendation - eat fructose before scuba diving ,doesn't matter if your not a naked mole rat.

Sucrates

Bald animal

Evolved.

D7R6JXW.png

OP
Drareg

Drareg

The lactic acid in the brain is interesting but probably not surprising considering the length of time.
I can't access the study to see at what time this increase begins.

OP
Drareg

Drareg

But why lol

Politically correct political correctness based on subjective definitions.
Furthermore what evidence do you have for the naked mole rat showing evidence of bald man character armour?- see roddy et al 2016.

Politically correct political correctness based on subjective definitions.
Furthermore what evidence do you have for the naked mole rat showing evidence of bald man character armour?- see roddy et al 2016.

The newborn has high metabolism and is bald...

haidut

Forum Supporter
Abstract
The African naked mole-rat’s (Heterocephalus glaber) social and subterranean lifestyle generates a hypoxic niche. Under experimental conditions, naked mole-rats tolerate hours of extreme hypoxia and survive 18 minutes of total oxygen deprivation (anoxia) without apparent injury. During anoxia, the naked mole-rat switches to anaerobic metabolism fueled by fructose, which is actively accumulated and metabolized to lactate in the brain. Global expression of the GLUT5 fructose transporter and high levels of ketohexokinase were identified as molecular signatures of fructose metabolism. Fructose-driven glycolytic respiration in naked mole-rat tissues avoids feedback inhibition of glycolysis via phosphofructokinase, supporting viability. The metabolic rewiring of glycolysis can circumvent the normally lethal effects of oxygen deprivation, a mechanism that could be harnessed to minimize hypoxic damage in human disease.

Fructose-driven glycolysis supports anoxia resistance in the naked mole-rat | Science

Health recommendation - eat fructose before scuba diving ,doesn't matter if your not a naked mole rat.

I posted a response to this in another thread. It looks like eating sucrose may be a better choice. It got elevated more than fructose and given its ability to stimulate glucose metabolism the combination may be better than pure fructose under anoxia/hypoxia. See below.

Glucose Deprivation In The Brain Is A Causative Factor In Alzheimer's Dieases (AD)

OP
Drareg

Drareg

I posted a response to this in another thread. It looks like eating sucrose may be a better choice. It got elevated more than fructose and given its ability to stimulate glucose metabolism the combination may be better than pure fructose under anoxia/hypoxia. See below.

Glucose Deprivation In The Brain Is A Causative Factor In Alzheimer's Dieases (AD)

Oops sorry,didn't see that.
They don't look at the corri cycle in this study,is it a given if lactic acid increases?
Interesting for the argument that lactic acid is ideal fuel for the brain neurons,its the lack of oxygen causing it but it will still get used to imply it's protective possibly.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Oops sorry,didn't see that.
They don't look at the corri cycle in this study,is it a given if lactic acid increases?
Interesting for the argument that lactic acid is ideal fuel for the brain neurons,its the lack of oxygen causing it but it will still get used to imply it's protective possibly.

I don't think it is given that lactic acid increases, I think it is simply a sign of the animal being under stress. The lactic acid in the brain is still preferred as fuel to fat, so I think one conclusion would be that the brain goes to great lengths to avoid burning fat, and even lactic acid will be used before fat. This has indirectly been confirmed with alcohol experiments. Acetic acid is readily metabolized by all tissues except the brain, which does not like it and still prefers to burn glucose or lactic acid. The headache from alcohol has now be confirmed to be due to neither dehydration nor acetaldehyde accumulation but simply the brain being forced to run on acetic acid in the absence of glycogen or lactic acid. But I don't think lactic acid is beneficial for the brain. It can quite easily trigger seizures or panic attacks, so to me it looks like little more than emergency fuel and a biomarker of said emergency.

Back
Top Bottom