Myopia Caused By Lack Of Bright Light And Thus Low Dopamine

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another hit against the idea that myopia is mostly genetic. As Ray has spoken numerous times on the importance of bright light for proper metabolism, this study proposes a direct cause - lack of bright light exposure reduces dopamine production. Even thought the study did not state it, staying in the dark also likely elevates serotonin, which Ray has also said is a key driver of degenerative eye diseases.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-myopia-boom-1.17120

"...But what scientists really needed was a mechanism: something to explain how bright light could prevent myopia. The leading hypothesis is that light stimulates the release of dopamine in the retina, and this neurotransmitter in turn blocks the elongation of the eye during development. The best evidence for the 'light–dopamine' hypothesis comes — again — from chicks. In 2010, Ashby and Schaeffel showed that injecting a dopamine-inhibiting drug called spiperone into chicks' eyes could abolish the protective effect of bright light11. Retinal dopamine is normally produced on a diurnal cycle — ramping up during the day — and it tells the eye to switch from rod-based, nighttime vision to cone-based, daytime vision. Researchers now suspect that under dim (typically indoor) lighting, the cycle is disrupted, with consequences for eye growth. “If our system does not get a strong enough diurnal rhythm, things go out of control,” says Ashby, who is now at the University of Canberra. “The system starts to get a bit noisy and noisy means that it just grows in its own irregular fashion.”

It would be interesting to see the incidence in relation to month of conception.

stressucks

My eyes have been bothering me lately. Work in an office and elsewise spend a lot of time on the computer, looking at my phone, or reading. I seem to see fine but they get tired/strained.

What I've noticed is that if I go surfing in the morning for a couple hours, the issue goes away and my eyes are fine for a couple days.

But I unfortunately can't do that very often. I find it difficult to get long periods of exposure to bright sunlight. Any tips?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom