Myoclonic jerks/hypnotic jerks. Can´t sleep at all

tired100

Since a month ago i´m suffering heavy jerks in my limps/or whole body just before i´m entering deep sleep. It´s like my body wants me to wake me up and just jerks me awake.

At the moment i can´t sleept at all without sleepmedications (Taking imovane now).

Do you know what would be the cause of this and how to treat it?

I think i know what triggered it. I was very stressed and sleep deprivated before all of this. Lots to do in job and private life. On top of that i was eating garbage, to much caffeine and alcohol on weekends. BUT. I was also taking nicotine (cigarettes and snus) as it gave me more energy for the time being (dont smoke normally) But the nicotine stressed me out and probably was a contributing factor triggering this.

Have quit all the things i´ve mentioned and at the moment iam on sick from work. But no progress.

OP
T

tired100

Nothing. The only thing i did take before all of this was alcohol on weekends. coffee and a few cigarettes a day..

OP
T

tired100

I do feel that the nicotine contributed to it however. It made it harder to sleep with nicotine in my system.

P

Peatness

It sounds like magnesium/sodium deficiency. Thiamine might also be low

OP
T

tired100

Been supplementing Magnesium a long time back. Also been supplementing Magnesium during this crisis with no success.

Always been good with salting my food.. Thiamine i don´t know much about on the other hand.

Since a month ago i´m suffering heavy jerks in my limps/or whole body just before i´m entering deep sleep. It´s like my body wants me to wake me up and just jerks me awake.

At the moment i can´t sleept at all without sleepmedications (Taking imovane now).

I think i know what triggered it. I was very stressed and sleep deprivated before all of this. Lots to do in job and private life. On top of that i was eating garbage, to much caffeine and alcohol on weekends. BUT. I was also taking nicotine (cigarettes and snus) as it gave me more energy for the time being (dont smoke normally) But the nicotine stressed me out and probably was a contributing factor triggering this.

Have quit all the things i´ve mentioned and at the moment iam on sick from work. But no progress.
Please look into mold!!! I had this start out of nowhere in 2017, and I suffered from terrible insomnia for a year - I jerked myself awake repeatedly all night long. It turned out I had extensive water damage in my bathroom and had to have it completely demo'd and rebuilt. Now I sleep like a baby.

P

Peatness

Been supplementing Magnesium a long time back. Also been supplementing Magnesium during this crisis with no success.

Always been good with salting my food.. Thiamine i don´t know much about on the other hand.
Just read this in an interview transcript with Dr Peat

"So in many situations, magnesium imitates thyroid function, but the two together really are simply energizing the tissue; and you can go from crampy legs, or many old people get "jumpy legs" -- a funny sensation that makes their legs kick when they try to go to sleep -- you can go from that hyperactivity of the legs to many other conditions including heart rhythm problems, insomnia, muscle pains in general, many states that are considered degenerative diseases, but are simply low thyroid/low magnesium states that prevent efficient energy production"

OccamzRazer

One time I slept with a girl who had these. After that, I had them for about a year myself.

Not the most helpful reply, but maybe of some interest to someone out there...

CreakyJoints

I remember coming across a section about them in one book on sleep paralysis (which I've since misplaced...), but I remember it pointed to a study which suggested sleep deprivation can indeed be a major cause of these. If it happens between transitions of sleep, that can be troublesome, but it's possible the sleep medication was interfering with those transitions and they might have possibly be exacerbating the issue. Are you still taking those, too? It's important to wean yourself off them slowly, I think the rate of rebound withdrawal is quite high.

As someone else mentioned, excessive serotonin can also lead to them happening occasionally.

Chad_Catholic

I'm glad to have found this thread because I am suffering from exactly the same thing. It's like as soon as I'm drifting off, my body or even sometimes just my brain jerks and wakes me up. Trazodone has been the only thing to help so far but I don't want to have to rely on medication for the rest of my life. I can't even take a nap anymore.

Vanset

I'm glad to have found this thread because I am suffering from exactly the same thing. It's like as soon as I'm drifting off, my body or even sometimes just my brain jerks and wakes me up. Trazodone has been the only thing to help so far but I don't want to have to rely on medication for the rest of my life. I can't even take a nap anymore.
do you work out on a daily basis? or close to bed?

Vanset

Yeah I workout for about 45 minutes everyday but at the gym not by my bed, why?
i meant near bedtime. try stopping any strenuous exercise and see if it helps, especially if you workout close to bedtime. did you experience long term stress/insomnia prior to it happening? this is how it started for me.

OP
T

tired100

Oh, no I workout around 6 pm

Hey.

A year later i´m okey. The jerks is still there, but at minimum, and i usually fall asleep after 30 - 60 minutes after going to bed (despite some jerks that annoys me before that). At worst one year ago i lost the ability to sleep because of heavy jerks and had to be on sleep pills some time. Then i decided to not panick over this and lowering the dosage of imovane and just ride it throught. I haven´t used any sleep pills for like eight months now.

It is stress really. What is concerning you? Was there something before it started that was conflicting your mind/stressing you out. Try to remember. Do you feel stuck in life/in some situations?

Ditch the stimulants (coffee and nicotine). Focus on walks instead of the gym for some time. It will go over and don´t panic when you can´t sleep. It will be better!