Myalgia In Both Arms

BastiFuntasty

Dear Peaters, maybe you can give me some suggestions on how to deal with my Myalgia syndromes.
It all began approx one year ago. I noticed pain in my arms during stressfull situations, especially in the biceps and shoulder(left arm more pain than in the right one). I thought it was normal due to adrenaline release during fight or flight situations. But the painfull situations got more severe by time. At the beginning the syndromes disappeared after a while, but they began to stay longer and longer, until they were present the whole time. Well doctors say it might be due to a blocked backbone, but things did not really get better. Sometimes I just sit there and cry like a little baby, cause its hard to stand this never ending pain, which crashed my mental health. This got me in a severe depression I guess. I often feel intimidated when aroused by others. The only thing that helps at the moment is to retract myself and avoid any stress and anger.

When i diagnose myself, the problem might is that i have putten my body into to much physical stress. I was obese in my childhood and lost about 80 pounds due to calorie restriction and sport. But since that time which is almost 5 years ago, I never stopped to struggle with my own body composition, which is additional stress due to sad emotions. Well I always felt slight ashamed for my physical appearance in my childhood. Bodybuilding helped me a bit, but i never raeched my aims. The aftermath for me was doing more and more sport in order to get leaner and leaner( I had weeks working out 6 days or maybe 7). I lost most of my muscle and self-confidence by time.
I am approx 10 months on a peat diet now, and think that my metabolism is quite good. I eat about 3-4k kcals a day without gaining fat. Mostly milk, orange juice, dates, cheese, oysters, some eggs and ice cream, liver( wroooh dont wanna think about it :D) and so on.. well mylagia got better due to avoiding stress( mental and physical). But it doesn't seem to pass on by entirely.
I cannot stop doing a little bit of exercise (a month without sport did not help me ). But i will go on with only 1 set Training, in order to have just little stress hormon release and a raise in testosaterone.

Do I might have a serotonin problem? I have no problem digesting things. But I have a bad mood usually and especially problems with social interact.
Or is it maybe just more likely a psychosomatic problem, that i generate this pain on my own?
I will add some Info but I am to tired at the moment. I hope it is all in a correct phrasing, english is not my former language.

Best greetings from Germany and thank you for your time reading this

tara

:welcome BastiFuntasti

I'm guessing you've read some of Peat's articles. Have you seen this one? http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/water.shtml

Is your assessment that your metabolism is quite good based on monitoring your body temperature and pulse and/or having thyroid hormones tested?

I doubt you are imagining this pain. It is possible that your state of mind may have some effect, but I doubt that is all. It looks as though your diet is probably supplying you with reasonable nourishment - you can check in cronometer to see if there are any gaps in micronutrients. Are you getting more calcium than phosphorus? Are you salting your food to taste? I think these may have an effect on water control, which Peat seems to say is involved in fibromyalgia?

Reducing the frequency of your workouts seems sensible.

I wonder if you have tried any non-food tactics?
Eg making sure to get sunshine and/or supplemental red light daily, especially on the painful arms, but on as much of yourself as is practical? Cells need some red light regularly to restrore the cytochrome oxidase enzyme, which plays an essential role in efficient cellular energy production.
How is your breathing at rest - relaxed, nasal, diaphragmatic? Have you tried bag-breathing or any other reduced breathing exercises to help raise CO2 levels? Adequate CO2 levels are also necessary for cells to optimally control the flow of substances.

Good luck - I hope you find strategies that help you here.

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

thank you for your reply,

yeah i definetely have to check that article, I might drink too much chronocally.
I was just thinking that my metabolism is good due to the much calories that I can handle without gaining weight, but that might be wrong? My pulse is about 60, which is not perfect but I guess to be good for me, because I had a pulse around 35 last year. I was doing too much endurance stuff and too much pufa and low calorie crap. Well I defenetely have to buy a thermometer.
I do bag rebreathing up to 5 times a day, but did not really notice anything. Ca:PH should also be fine. I will log one day and than take a look at chronometer.
Well breathing can be an issue. I breathe relaxed i guess, but I noticed that I might breath too much in my chest and not in my belly. Doctors said that might be an issue. But its hard for me thanks to big abs and I chronically contract them due to my obese past.

I really appreciate your effort in helping me out :)

tara

I largely retrained my chest breathing habits a couple of years ago by a combination of paying attention to it when I remembered, and using a belt around my chest a small number of times. I used the belt for an hour at a time a couple of times, and through the night a couple of times. Put belt round chest. Relaxed breathe out. Tighten belt. It forces you to use diaphragm to breathe instead, and once those muscles are activated it makes it much easier - my experience, anyway.

If it's only in teh last year that you've made the change away from high PUFA, low cal, overtraining, etc, it might take a while for your body to restrore itself. Looks like at least some of it is going in teh right direction. Though the myalgia definitely doesn't sound good (or fun).

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

Well i logged my nutrients today with chronometer and I think they should be allright.

Calcium was up to 4000mg, phosphorus 3100. I guess the large amount does not matter as long as the ratio is allright?
Potassium 8600 to Sodium 3000. Do I probably need a bit more of Sodium?
Water was a little much with 6200g

What confuses me is that whenever I do workouts that strain my arms, the pain is getting better. Cosequential I think there is no damage in the muscle cells, anyone out there who can confirm such a theorie? Wouldn't I notice muscle injuries, when I contract them?

tara

Peat generally recommends drinking to thirst and salting to taste.
I think if you are out of the habit of doing that, it can take a while to recognise.
How much that is can vary from person to person. For me, I generally have 2-3 litres, but some people can use more or less.
I tend to watch frequency and colour of urine - if it's frequent and clear, I probably had too much water and might need more calories and less water. If it's infrequent and/or dark, I probably need more water.

I don't know much about how muscle pain works. I think under stress we can produce some pain-killing endorphins, to get us through a crisis, and the pain may not be noticed until the body thinks the crisis is over - when we relax later on?

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

Yeah that sounds like a good idea with the belt. Thank you for that hint, it is worth trying it. Using a hottie on my belly also helps a little due to a relaxation of the muscles.

What I have in mind is a short term use of some drugs like **** or cyproheptadine. I already use 100 mg **** daily, and will maybe go up with the dose, if I should notice nothing.

Eating habits definetely got wrong in our society, and I think its hard to bring them back in the right direction. The only one who knows what is good for you is your own body, but most( me too) have forgotten about that.

Giraffe

Hi BastiFuntasti,

I had similar problems last year. In my case it had a lot to do muscle tension, posture and fluid retention in the tissue, for example I kind of 'ducked my head' (a releaving posture to avoid pains in the neck).

Do you constrict muscles in the neck when you feel stressed? I bet you do. :)

I found that fascial release massage helped with the pains.

Alternatives you might want to consider are things that help you notice when you get tense: PMR, yoga, pilates...

Get your sodium up!

In social stress situations you might want to try 'power posing'.

Check this video or search youtube for 'Amy Cuddy, power posing'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks-_Mh1QhMc .

It's about how our posture influences the hormones (confident pose = testosteron up + cortisol down) and how we feel about ourselves.

Good luck to you! Hope you find something that helps.

Interactome

BastiFuntasty said:
post 86265 What confuses me is that whenever I do workouts that strain my arms, the pain is getting better. Cosequential I think there is no damage in the muscle cells, anyone out there who can confirm such a theorie? Wouldn't I notice muscle injuries, when I contract them?

Just found your post about myalgia in your arms. This was also one of the first major issues I had. It got worse when I got anxiety because of it. I'm still not sure what causes it, but it's strange that I also felt better when I trained or when I was in a sauna or when I had the flu and had a fever.

Have you tested your cortisol, e.g., a 24 hour urinary cortisol? Mine was higher than normal. Also my 24 h urinary metanephrines, which I read are from adrenaline breakdown, were at the high end of the interval. If you also had this then maybe it could be all a consequence of stress and it's maladaptation. Like in Selye's GAD theory, being constantly wound up (fight or flight) without realizing it anymore due to an adaptation (mental and/or physiological). Being relaxed will then relieve the symptoms somewhat by bringing the mental aspect of the stress response down to the minimum of the current set point. Getting stressed, which we already are due to the constitutively higher than normal adrenaline and cortisol, will then bring stress hormones through the roof casing symptoms.

Some thoughts for the cause of the pain:

• - vasoconstriction due to the arterial constrictive effect of and adrenaline/cortisol during stress/shock => less blood/oxygen to the muscle. Heat and training will then bring more blood to the muscle, relieving symptoms, which in a sense fits.
  • - some sort of constant nutritional depletion of the muscles (specific vitamins, minerals, macronutrients) due to the constitutive supra-normal (latent) stress
  • - effects (irritation/endotoxin) on gut/digestion due to high cortisol/adrenaline and inhibition of digestion thereof (I had an endoscopy with a biopsy which made things worse, but at least I know that there are some irritations in the GI tract (the biopsy!), hiatal hernia, slight esophagitis), thin walls
  • - effects on metabolism (thyroid/liver) due to all of the above which influences the speed of healing, esp. the gut

I'm just hypothesizing, based on the things I've read around here and from what my flawed memory recalls from my selective reading of Peat. We need ways to test this.

Another strange thing I've developed during the past 5 months is larger veins, esp. when I constricted them temporarily in various situations. I'll try some B12 as suggested by [ref]jb116[/ref] to see if it has any positive effects on any of these symptoms.

Under any circumstance, we need to lower cortisol and adrenaline set points in all possible ways (food/meditation/psychology?) to fix the above consequences of high constitutive stress and raise body temperature, as heat in my case alleviates muscle pain. This also fits with the recommendations by [ref=#009999]Giraffe[/ref].

On the other hand my veins right now are not that happy by heat - Catch 22.

Anyone that can confirm or has had all these and has reversed it all?

Last edited by a moderator:

nigma

Due to the pain and your background, I suspect Mg deficiency. I suggest to try some Mg oil (MgCl2 in water).

Interactome

nigma said:
post 118593 Due to the pain and your background, I suspect Mg deficiency. I suggest to try some Mg oil (MgCl2 in water).

Hi. I was taking Mg in July (500-800mg/day) and I felt that it helped with the muscle issues, but then again it was summer and warm and usually that tired/slow muscle feeling goes away with heat.

The best way to find out would be a test showing cellular mineral content, because I've read that one cannot rely on plasma Mg numbers, which is usually normal. I just need to find a place to do that test.

I'd like to try it again, but the problem is that right now I'm a bit nervous about Mg as my dilated veins problem, low pulse, and thirst thing started while taking Mg, high dose vit C, B3, and baby aspirin and eating less protein, low fat, and no dairy. So I avoid doing any of those, as I don't know which, if any, is the causative variable. I tried to take 100mg Mg for a few days not long ago, and I don't know if I was imagining it or not, but I did feel the thirst coming on a bit stronger again. Could it be that it relaxes and dilates the blood vessels too much? And this led to some sort of dysautonomia? (I really don't know if this is how stuff works)

I'll consider trying the Mg spray for a few days and see how I feel thirst-wise. Not sure I dare yet though.

Based on a 24 hour urinary cation analysis I am excreting more Ca, Mg, and K than normal, but not Na. So either the body is trying to hold on to Na (trying to maintain blood volume), or I'm getting too much of the other minerals (drank 2L milk that day, so I should repeat the test in a moth or so), or maybe the body is loosing Mg, maybe due to elevated cortisol (urinary cortisol: 456, normal range: 100-379 nmol/24h). If that were the case, then the solution would be to lower stress hormones, so as stop the loss of Mg (and other nutrients) and not to have to rely on external supplementation. As I've read around here, this will also increase metabolism (T4 -> T3 in the liver) and the immune system.

DaveFoster said:
post 118599 Naltrexone shows some promise in treating myalgia and similar symptoms of fatigue.

It will also help you kick a drinking problem.

I don't know if that's something I can buy without prescription. What's the effect of it on cortisol?

I'd like to know what are the main reasons for elevated cortisol and adrenalin? Is it

- mental activation of the stress response (maybe unconsciously)
- hypertrophied or more cortisol and adrenaline producing cells
- cortisol/adrenaline insensitive cells that lead to increased secretion
- ...?

DaveFoster

Interactome said:
I don't know if that's something I can buy without prescription. And what's the effect of it on cortisol?
It does raise cortisol, but less so if you're a man.

I compare it to caffeine, which lowers GABA through a reduction in the cholinergic system. Peat is a fan of GABA, but the cholinergic system produces excitotoxicity, so it's a net gain.

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

nigma said:
post 118593 Due to the pain and your background, I suspect Mg deficiency. I suggest to try some Mg oil (MgCl2 in water).
I think it is something else, due to some periods where I tested high dose mg citrate + topical mg oil and noticed nothing. Plus I think my diet contains 1-2 g mg daily.

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

Interactome said:
post 118548
BastiFuntasty said:
post 86265 What confuses me is that whenever I do workouts that strain my arms, the pain is getting better. Cosequential I think there is no damage in the muscle cells, anyone out there who can confirm such a theorie? Wouldn't I notice muscle injuries, when I contract them?

Just found your post about myalgia in your arms. This was also one of the first major issues I had. It got worse when I got anxiety because of it. I'm still not sure what causes it, but it's strange that I also felt better when I trained or when I was in a sauna or when I had the flu and had a fever.

Have you tested your cortisol, e.g., a 24 hour urinary cortisol? Mine was higher than normal. Also my 24 h urinary metanephrines, which I read are from adrenaline breakdown, were at the high end of the interval. If you also had this then maybe it could be all a consequence of stress and it's maladaptation. Like in Selye's GAD theory, being constantly wound up (fight or flight) without realizing it anymore due to an adaptation (mental and/or physiological). Being relaxed will then relieve the symptoms somewhat by bringing the mental aspect of the stress response down to the minimum of the current set point. Getting stressed, which we already are due to the constitutively higher than normal adrenaline and cortisol, will then bring stress hormones through the roof casing symptoms.

Some thoughts for the cause of the pain:

• - vasoconstriction due to the arterial constrictive effect of and adrenaline/cortisol during stress/shock => less blood/oxygen to the muscle. Heat and training will then bring more blood to the muscle, relieving symptoms, which in a sense fits.
  • - some sort of constant nutritional depletion of the muscles (specific vitamins, minerals, macronutrients) due to the constitutive supra-normal (latent) stress
  • - effects (irritation/endotoxin) on gut/digestion due to high cortisol/adrenaline and inhibition of digestion thereof (I had an endoscopy with a biopsy which made things worse, but at least I know that there are some irritations in the GI tract (the biopsy!), hiatal hernia, slight esophagitis), thin walls
  • - effects on metabolism (thyroid/liver) due to all of the above which influences the speed of healing, esp. the gut

I'm just hypothesizing, based on the things I've read around here and from what my flawed memory recalls from my selective reading of Peat. We need ways to test this.

Another strange thing I've developed during the past 5 months is larger veins, esp. when I constricted them temporarily in various situations. I'll try some B12 as suggested by [ref]jb116[/ref] to see if it has any positive effects on any of these symptoms.

Under any circumstance, we need to lower cortisol and adrenaline set points in all possible ways (food/meditation/psychology?) to fix the above consequences of high constitutive stress and raise body temperature, as heat in my case alleviates muscle pain. This also fits with the recommendations by [ref=#009999]Giraffe[/ref].

On the other hand my veins right now are not that happy by heat - Catch 22.

Anyone that can confirm or has had all these and has reversed it all?
Once again like in your other post everything sounds quite familiar to me. It looks like we are in the same boat here.

Heat does help me too, but only for a couple of time. The pain was better in the summer and I think it's due to the photon energy the sun provides plus the warmer temperatures. Near infrared headlamps often help me significantly, but strangely not always and sometimes make the paine worse afterwards, possibly due to inflammation.

Strangely I think my digestion is quite ok, I could easily eat more than 8kk cals derived by fruit, milk, cheese, coconut etc. And I am always hungry, which could be one effect of high cortisol. Haven't checked it yet.

Do you notice muscle twitches? I sometimes get them after periods of adrenaline.
One further thing I have is dried skin, especially at my hands.

It is definitely some kind of combination of physical plus psychological reasons, like you said. In times of nice distraction with friends, I can overcome this illness, but than one bad situation can destroy everything.

One thing I am going to do is to try NDT. I plan to put me on a high temp and pulse state and see if it helps. If not, than it was worse trying it. I'll report my observations.

I think the main points for us to work on are:
  • reducing serotonin, pro lactin, estrogen
    Assist mitochondrial respiration and uncoupling
    Avoid stress
    Mental awareness of safety to avoid fof
    Avoid empty calories
The hard part will be to make all of this possible :D

Interactome

BastiFuntasty said:
post 118696 Once again like in your other post everything sounds quite familiar to me. It looks like we are in the same boat here.

Heat does help me too, but only for a couple of time. The pain was better in the summer and I think it's due to the photon energy the sun provides plus the warmer temperatures. Near infrared headlamps often help me significantly, but strangely not always and sometimes make the paine worse afterwards, possibly due to inflammation.

Strangely I think my digestion is quite ok, I could easily eat more than 8kk cals derived by fruit, milk, cheese, coconut etc. And I am always hungry, which could be one effect of high cortisol. Haven't checked it yet.

Do you notice muscle twitches? I sometimes get them after periods of adrenaline.

It is definitely some kind of combination of physical plus psychological reasons, like you said. In times of nice distraction with friends, I can overcome this illness, but than one bad situation can destroy everything.

One thing I am going to do is to try NDT. I plan to put me on a high temp and pulse state and see if it helps. If not, than it was worse trying it. I'll report my observations.

reducing serotonin, pro lactin, estrogen
Avoid stress
Avoid empty calories
The hard part will be to make all of this possible

Sounds very similar. Also the way it began, a bit over 1 year ago. Was stressed, didn't sleep that well, trained hard, got dizzy. Fasted, kept training. Then muscle pains in hands. Then the twitching began all over. More anxiety (surely it must be ALS... what else). I still get them if I don't eat enough or if I get stressed.

My TSH was also 2.2 about 2 months ago. It was 1.2 this summer while I decided to fast again but this time I was also taking a baby aspirin plus a bunch of other supplement. That must have somehow depleted me even more. Maybe this time it was my vein-muscles that have gotten tired and lost their tone.

I also try to not beat myself up to much for all the wrong turns I took that led to this point, as that just fuels the stress. But apparently I only learn if I mess up personally :)

My digestion is a bit worse after the endoscopy. It probably injured me further.
Injury isn't a good idea while being in a low metabolic (high cortisol) state, as healing, digestion, nutrient absorption and assimilation are all impaired. Maybe that's also the reason for our elevated Creatine Kinase. Muscle fibers die after injury from hard, energy depleting training.

- Did you supplement with vitamin B6? I don't know if that could have something to do with the twitching and muscle pain. I've read that B6 is something one can overdose on, and different people have different thresholds. There are also different forms of B6, some of which can be more toxic than others.

- If you're going to experiment with more supplements, remember "Start low and go slow". I've read that thyroid hormones increase the need for certain nutrients, so if you're already depleted, maybe NDT could lead to more imballances? Just my paranoia and newly acquired caution speaking here.

- Have you tried higher doses of B1, B7 and B12 (and maybe B9) for a while? It's something that has been suggested by various people and I want to try next. The B7 (biotin) is supposed to help with the skin and maybe fungal issues.

Interactome

DaveFoster said:
post 118677 It does raise cortisol, but less so if you're a man.

I compare it to caffeine, which lowers GABA through a reduction in the cholinergic system. Peat is a fan of GABA, but the cholinergic system produces excitotoxicity, so it's a net gain.

I'll try to drink a cup of coffee more regularly and see if that helps. I'm not really a coffee drinker. And I need to learn more about the cholinergic system. It might be related to the dilated veins. I wonder if the effects are local or systemic, and what hormones control it.

messtafarian

Consider that you might have scurvy.

I am not kidding. It's making a comeback due to the assumption of grocery stores that we get plenty, but if you are not doing the Peatish OJ plus fruit every day,and you have stopped supplementing C, then it might be an issue.

When the body needs C it does not have, it goes into the muscle to strip it out of the carnitine there.

I suggest stopping everything, all supplements ( especially unevenly supplemented b vitamins), and supplementing only with 1K liposomal c and 1K acetyl carnitine.Otherwise eat food and do not overtrain.

OP
B

BastiFuntasty

Interactome said:
post 118832
BastiFuntasty said:
post 118696 Once again like in your other post everything sounds quite familiar to me. It looks like we are in the same boat here.

reducing serotonin, pro lactin, estrogen
Avoid stress
Avoid empty calories
The hard part will be to make all of this possible

Sounds very similar. Also the way it began, a bit over 1 year ago. Was stressed, didn't sleep that well, trained hard, got dizzy. Fasted, kept training. Then muscle pains in hands. Then the twitching began all over. More anxiety (surely it must be ALS... what else). I still get them if I don't eat enough or if I get stressed.

My TSH was also 2.2 about 2 months ago. It was 1.2 this summer while I decided to fast again but this time I was also taking a baby aspirin plus a bunch of other supplement. That must have somehow depleted me even more. Maybe this time it was my vein-muscles that have gotten tired and lost their tone.

I also try to not beat myself up to much for all the wrong turns I took that led to this point, as that just fuels the stress. But apparently I only learn if I mess up personally :)

My digestion is a bit worse after the endoscopy. It probably injured me further.
Injury isn't a good idea while being in a low metabolic (high cortisol) state, as healing, digestion, nutrient absorption and assimilation are all impaired. Maybe that's also the reason for our elevated Creatine Kinase. Muscle fibers die after injury from hard, energy depleting training.

- Did you supplement with vitamin B6? I don't know if that could have something to do with the twitching and muscle pain. I've read that B6 is something one can overdose on, and different people have different thresholds. There are also different forms of B6, some of which can be more toxic than others.

- If you're going to experiment with more supplements, remember "Start low and go slow". I've read that thyroid hormones increase the need for certain nutrients, so if you're already depleted, maybe NDT could lead to more imballances? Just my paranoia and newly acquired caution speaking here.

- Have you tried higher doses of B1, B7 and B12 (and maybe B9) for a while? It's something that has been suggested by various people and I want to try next. The B7 (biotin) is supposed to help with the skin and maybe fungal issues.

The things I am/was taking so far are Oxidal, Energin and Estroban from Haidut in order to support oxidative metabolism and get rid of Estrogens. They definitely helped with libido, which is a good sign of getting rid of estrogen dominance. But when it comes to the myalgia, nothing helped so far. Energin already has B1,2,3,6,7 I possibly will try the rest you mentioned, but I am still a little afraid when it comes to megadoses. On the other hand everything is worth a try, if it could help solving our problem.

My NDT finally arrived and I now try to put me on a good metabolic state while eating large amounts of calories consisting of many oranges, other fruits, milk, coconut, eggs, shrimps, gelatin, carrots and a brazil nut every now and than. I think those should provide adequate nutrients, time will tell :D

Fasting was also something I tried last Winter, which made everything worse in my case, too.

Those large veins is something I can also confirm in my case, but I thought it was just an adaption to the exercise. Now that you mention it I never had such big veins while I was healthy, despite a relative big muscle mass and low body fat.

Are you still exercising or did you stop? I recently started again after 8 month of gym abstinence, but it made things worse. :(

[moderator edit: user Interactome's reply moved here post 119650]

Parsifal

The things I am/was taking so far are Oxidal, Energin and Estroban from Haidut in order to support oxidative metabolism and get rid of Estrogens. They definitely helped with libido, which is a good sign of getting rid of estrogen dominance. But when it comes to the myalgia, nothing helped so far. Energin already has B1,2,3,6,7 I possibly will try the rest you mentioned, but I am still a little afraid when it comes to megadoses. On the other hand everything is worth a try, if it could help solving our problem.

My NDT finally arrived and I now try to put me on a good metabolic state while eating large amounts of calories consisting of many oranges, other fruits, milk, coconut, eggs, shrimps, gelatin, carrots and a brazil nut every now and than. I think those should provide adequate nutrients, time will tell :D

Fasting was also something I tried last Winter, which made everything worse in my case, too.

Those large veins is something I can also confirm in my case, but I thought it was just an adaption to the exercise. Now that you mention it I never had such big veins while I was healthy, despite a relative big muscle mass and low body fat.

Are you still exercising or did you stop? I recently started again after 8 month of gym abstinence, but it made things worse. :(

[moderator edit: user Interactome's reply moved here post 119650]
Anything new?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals