My Taste In Music Changes With Metabolic State

solomon

I had had health issues before and I found Ray Peat's works. And ever since I started implementing anything that is pro metabolic, my physiology and mental state have been improving. Beside that, I noticed my test in music changed drastically. Before, I was more into modern musics that are mellow and simple musics. And they are mostly not that complex in terms of tunes. The lyrics are mostly about bad experiences and past times. (For example, Adele, Amy Winehouse, Sia, One Republic). However, recently I mostly prefer listening to anything that have blues sound it. For example, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, Beatles, The doors, King Crimson, Bob Dylon. These kind of musics really moves me these day. The meaning are also glorious!

Is this something happening only to me or does anyone have similar experience?

Thanks!

shine

There are studies showing that men with high testosterone often like loud, relatively simple music like heavy metal, whereas men with low T prefer stuff like jazz, more sophisticated music.

I experienced similar things. I prefer heavy/black metal or darkpsy/hitech/progressive trance for workouts. Music that gets me pumped up.
Years ago when I was low T I would often sit in my room and listen to jazz, classical music etc.
Your metabolic state, hormones, neurotransmitters definitely have an effect on what type of music you like.

YourUniverse

There are studies showing that men with high testosterone often like loud, relatively simple music like heavy metal, whereas men with low T prefer stuff like jazz, more sophisticated music.

I experienced similar things. I prefer heavy/black metal or darkpsy/hitech/progressive trance for workouts. Music that gets me pumped up.
Years ago when I was low T I would often sit in my room and listen to jazz, classical music etc.
Your metabolic state, hormones, neurotransmitters definitely have an effect on what type of music you like.
Nice to know, I've been loving loud hard music lately!

opethfeldt

If you think metal is simple, you haven't listened to enough of it, my friend.

equipoise

I'm a gigging musician and I also switch from genre to genre depending on the mood and that's perfectly usual thing to do.
Sometimes I'm up for some rock and other times for something more mellow.

High dopamine state definitely amplifies any music and I'd dare to say that being in an endotoxin state with irritated gut kills any mood for playing or listening to music.

GenericName86

High dopamine state definitely amplifies any music and I'd dare to say that being in an endotoxin state with irritated gut kills any mood for playing or listening to music.

Yep when my dopamine is high the music i listen to feels euphoric and there's been times where i assume i was in a high serotonin/poor health and music just felt flat and i was getting nothing out of it.

Cydanic

I have always thought this! Source for studies?

Jib

I think it goes both ways: we're attracted to certain styles of music depending on our physiological state, and listening to music can also alter your physiological state.

However, keep in mind that music is far more expansive than genres. Within the same genre or the same band there is just so much variety.

I'm really sensitive to lyrics. They're very important to me. Some people don't care about lyrics at all and just like how a song feels. But lyrics have quite an impact on my mood. Examples from one of my favorite bands, Lamb of God:

Totally different. Both get me pumped but the lyrics are completely different, the feel is completely different. 512 has a deeper edge to it, despair, hopelessness. Redneck is more pure and simple fun and pumped up. Completely different lyrics, completely different sound, even though it's the same band and style.

I have an extremely varied taste in music, and will listen to just about anything and everything. It's a real joy. I think it can be a tool to manipulate your mindset and physiology. There's a time for listening to music you just want to listen to, and there's a time for listening to music on purpose to change your mindset.

D

danishispsychic

me too ! im currently into vintage Bossa Nova. dont know if that us good or bad lol

mrchibbs

me too ! im currently into vintage Bossa Nova. dont know if that us good or bad lol

It's a very good thing ! Bossa Nova is great, timeless and emotional. I describe it as a sort of a lullaby trance, with the constant rhythm and beautiful melodies. Joao Gilberto is the king. (RIP, he died last summer)

BearWithMe

My taste in music changes with my health state too. And also my taste in women changes with my health state. The better my health is, the more skinny women I preffer and the smaller breast I prefer.

shine

My taste in music changes with my health state too. And also my taste in women changes with my health state. The better my health is, the more skinny women I preffer and the smaller breast I prefer.

Better not get tooo healthy then. :D

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States

This will sound woo-ey and I frankly have nothing but my own experience and that of others to support what I'm gonna say but I think that even in terms of just listening at the gym listening to metal and (especially) bass-driven music like rap or hard bass has ramifications for your personality and outlook that go beyond high metabolism and test vs. low metabolism and test. Go find any of those kids who listen to music 24/7 (I used to be one of them) and they are

-generally of a type to prefer some kind of rap or metal
-completely spaced out
-neurotic and always obviously mumbling their internal monologue or sub vocalizing

It really is like it suppresses an important part of your brain. For aggressive music these days I almost entirely listen to some more upbeat classical or electronic music without lyrics and moderate bass and the difference in outlook and mental state is immense

BearWithMe

This will sound woo-ey and I frankly have nothing but my own experience and that of others to support what I'm gonna say but I think that even in terms of just listening at the gym listening to metal and (especially) bass-driven music like rap or hard bass has ramifications for your personality and outlook that go beyond high metabolism and test vs. low metabolism and test. Go find any of those kids who listen to music 24/7 (I used to be one of them) and they are

-generally of a type to prefer some kind of rap or metal
-completely spaced out
-neurotic and always obviously mumbling their internal monologue or sub vocalizing

It really is like it suppresses an important part of your brain. For aggressive music these days I almost entirely listen to some more upbeat classical or electronic music without lyrics and moderate bass and the difference in outlook and mental state is immense
Or maybe it is the other way around, maybe spaced out and neurotic people, or people on autistic spectrum are listening to a lot of music (and energetic, bass heavy music in particular) because it helps them cope with the stuff they are going through, or maybe because autistic people are perceiving the music differently than "normal" people and it might be more pleasurable for them.

I don't particularly agree with your observations about metalheads and rap fans. While there is definitely a subset of metalheads, which are weird / neurotic / autistic / whatever, there are also plenty of completely normal, stable, composed, social and "present" metalheads. You will find a bunch of weird people in any social group.

By the way, studies have shown that heavy metal listeners have on average the highest IQ of all music genres, along with the listeners of classical music.

Last edited:

snacks

Or maybe it is the other way around, maybe spaced out and neurotic people, or people on autistic spectrum are listening to a lot of music (and energetic, bass heavy music in particular) because it helps them cope with the stuff they are going through, or maybie because autistic people are perceiving the music differently than "normal" people and it might be more pleasurable for them.

I don't particularly agree with your observations about metalheads and rap fans. While there is definitely a subset of metalheads, which are weird / neurotic / autistic / whatever, there are also plenty of completely normal, stable, composed, social and "present" metalheads. You will find a bunch of weird people in any social group.

By the way, studies have shown that heavy metal listeners have on average the highest IQ of all music genres, along with the listeners of classical music.

Citing an unscientific n=100 survey that seems to imply that the average iq of the UK is at the very least above the 120 shows that you are either completely illiterate or expect me to be. I've gotten away with citing some iffy "studies" so far in the course of my college career but even I wouldn't try to get away with this one. Either way I went from listening to mostly metal to listening to mostly classical so I must be a real ****** genius according to what you posted. Anyways my post had nothing to do with IQ so there's that

The rest of your comment is just the same dumb WELL ACTUALLY inanities that get posted every time someone points out an unflattering link between musical taste and personality so I'll respectfully decline to engage with it.

BearWithMe

Citing an unscientific n=100 survey that seems to imply that the average iq of the UK is at the very least above the 120 shows that you are either completely illiterate or expect me to be. I've gotten away with citing some iffy "studies" so far in the course of my college career but even I wouldn't try to get away with this one. Either way I went from listening to mostly metal to listening to mostly classical so I must be a real ****** genius according to what you posted. Anyways my post had nothing to do with IQ so there's that

The rest of your comment is just the same dumb WELL ACTUALLY inanities that get posted every time someone points out an unflattering link between musical taste and personality so I'll respectfully decline to engage with it.
Are you okay? You seem to be really angry. Don't be so reactive, I'm not attacking you or something

BearWithMe

It's polemical. What you wrote actually was kind of dumb but it's also just how I write and you shouldn't take it personally
unscientific n=100 survey > personal observation of someone who is for some reason really angry and insecure about metal and rap listeners

snacks

unscientific n=100 survey > personal observation of someone who is for some reason really angry and insecure about metal and rap listeners

Who's insecure? I never said anything about iq in my initial comment and don't really care about how high you're trying to imply that your iq is. I'm just really curious to know whether you've actually read the study and if so whether you've really thought about the implication that the average iq of the UK is over 120. It's not a study. It's not science. If you're on here you should know enough to at least read the abstract of what you cite after your obligatory 3 minutes of research on google and if you have read what you linked and don't see the issue with it then you don't need to be posting about studies or iq at all. If it matters I found about 20 studies on google scholar after a short time of searching that show a smaller but still significant correlation between heavy metal and iq so congrats I guess? Metal was my favorite genre of music for over a decade And I listened to rap starting from whenever First Day Out came out and my issue with both has nothing to do with it making you more or less intelligent

There's also a significant difference between "this is my personal observation" and "STUDIES SHOW [pop-science powerpoint word salad]" but I'm not going to assume that you're capable of understanding what that difference is

Back
Top Bottom