My Result From 1-2 Weeks Of Lower Protein Experiment

superhuman

Last 1-2 weeks i have experimenting with decreasing my protein a bit, just to see. Everyday i got around 200g or a little more cheese, wich means 64g quality protein. Sometimes i got a little more cheese. The rest of the protein came from wheat, chocolate,candy(gelatin). I guess that was it. Anyway ive gained a little bit of weight in terms of muscle but also fat and some places i seem to have gotten a little leaner. But i notice that my face has gotten alot "fatter" like puffier/rounder. Is this only because of the fat gain or can the "lower" protein has something to do with it? in terms of not been able to detox estrogen etc etc ? i workout everyday as well with weights and stuff so i need 120-150g protein a day (based on RP reqs). I would say i got around 100-150g a protein a day when i did this but i guess 50% of that protein was "crappy protein" from grains and stuff. Anyone have experiences or pointers? my sodium intake and all that has been the same as before i did this "experiment"

aquaman

superhuman said:
Last 1-2 weeks i have experimenting with decreasing my protein a bit, just to see. Everyday i got around 200g or a little more cheese, wich means 64g quality protein. Sometimes i got a little more cheese. The rest of the protein came from wheat, chocolate,candy(gelatin). I guess that was it. Anyway ive gained a little bit of weight in terms of muscle but also fat and some places i seem to have gotten a little leaner. But i notice that my face has gotten alot "fatter" like puffier/rounder. Is this only because of the fat gain or can the "lower" protein has something to do with it? in terms of not been able to detox estrogen etc etc ? i workout everyday as well with weights and stuff so i need 120-150g protein a day (based on RP reqs). I would say i got around 100-150g a protein a day when i did this but i guess 50% of that protein was "crappy protein" from grains and stuff. Anyone have experiences or pointers? my sodium intake and all that has been the same as before i did this "experiment"

200grams of what fat cheese? You could be going too high on fat no??

What about focusing on other protein, like white fish, shell fish etc?

Ben

I think it's possible that estrogen has caused water retention in your face. Muscle may have seemed to get larger because estrogen makes them swell as well. It's a sign that that kind of protein intake is too low. Do you crave proteinous foods at all?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Ben said:
I think it's possible that estrogen has caused water retention in your face. Muscle may have seemed to get larger because estrogen makes them swell as well. It's a sign that that kind of protein intake is too low. Do you crave proteinous foods at all?
Increased estrogen will inhibit thyroid function as well. Another consideration is that in any major dietary change it takes a couple weeks for the body to adjust. My face always gets puffy during the time of my cycle when estrogen is high. It could be the dietary change resulted in hormonal imbalance shifting you toward a more estrogen dominant state that somewhat diminished your thyroid function.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
RP does recommend adequate high quality protein for proper thyroid functioning. I don't think wheat would necessarily be included in that category.

Curt :-)

I find that not eating enough protein makes me hold water around the abdomen. Im not sure the diet you've outlined is ideal if you're concerned about your weight. Im staying very lean- 6 pack lean- eating protein, sugar and salt, with very little fat. I'd get rid of the bulk cheese and the grains, and just use are reasonable amount of low fat cheese, low fat milk, and to a lesser extent, whey.
I've heard of some Peaty's eating chocolate. It might be considered "Peaty", but lets be honest; its gunna make you fat. My 2 cents

J

j.

Curt :-) said:
I've heard of some Peaty's eating chocolate. It might be considered "Peaty", but lets be honest; its gunna make you fat. My 2 cents

Chocolate powder, which you can add to milk, is lower in fat.

I use chocolate powder for every cup of milk I drink and it doesn't make me fat. I lost weight doing that.

OP
S

superhuman

Thanx all guys

The cheese i was using was 10% fat so it was not that bad but i just wanted to see in terms of protein intake if it had an effect. The biggest effect was the sodium, when i increased sodium almost all the retention went away and when i upped the protein as well to around 120g it was all back to normal :)

Curt: I with you 100% i did the experiment because the olympic games was one and i just loosened up alot. One thing i find a little hard when calorie restricting is if i use skimmed milk as a protein source since if i want to get say 120+ g protein i need 4 quarts and thats a decent amount of calories, not that much left for other foods.

How many grams of protein a day u eat? how much fat? to get the best results and when you want to loose fat.

I don't know how you guys eat so much protein from milk and cheese. I have to cheat and use whey. I just don't have the appetite for that much food.
@J, he said chocolate so I just assumed actual chocolate. Cocoa in milk sounds good.
@Superhuman, I don't eat much fat, just what I get from low fat milk and cheese. Protein, I don't count, maybe 100 to 120.

OP
S

superhuman

Curt: U cheater :) how many calories are a day are you getting then?

How many calories? All of them (Chuck Norris style).
But seriously, I don't know man. I should track cal's for a day or two so I have an idea.
Here's what I usually eat;
Breakfast: One scoop of whey (25g protein) or cheese, large glass of OJ w/salt
Work break: Cappuccino, then a coke (or else my blood sugar gets low post-coffee)
Lunch: Varies. Chicken Caesar, chicken and roast potato, risotto (I work at a venue that makes me free lunch)
Break: Whey again, maybe coke, ice cream or gummi bears for carbs
Dinner: Maybe juice (always with salt) and cheese, or whatever my woman cooks for me.
Before bed: Anything with carbs. Protein messes my sleep up.

So basically I go the protein/carb fix throughout the day, if I can help it (work can be a pain in the **** in that regard). When I'm not working I don't need to use whey, so I eat more cheese and flavoured milk. Iced coffee is the bomb.
Hope this helps mate :):

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Curt :-) said:
How many calories? All of them (Chuck Norris style).
:rolling