My neck grinds -- not pops -- when I turn my head

ironfist

PTs and stuff never found anything wrong.

If I tilt my head down and turn, it grinds a little.

If I tilt my head back and turn, it grinds a lot.

I don't know how long this has been going on, because I only hear it when it's quiet (so like in a room with noise I won't notice).

PT put his head by my head and wanted to hear it. He could hear nothing.

This is not popping. It's grinding.

What could be causing this?

Healthseeker

See if you can get a y-axis adjustment and try to do some neck training. When you strengthen it will start fixing it, and get something as like a neck pillow your supposed to have a curve in your neck

HeyThere

Most likely arthritis, unfortunately. And/or the cushioning between the vertebra is eroding. You can take Glucosamine supplements to help that if that is the case.

Also, NOT ALL CHIROS ARE ALIKE!! I have been adjusted by 8 and only 3 were good!! Get a GOOD chiropractor.

Mauritio

Arthritis probably.

Did you try taking collagen?

A more complete protocol would be

- collagen
- vitamin C
- copper
- chondroitin
-glucosamine

Regina

PTs and stuff never found anything wrong.

If I tilt my head down and turn, it grinds a little.

If I tilt my head back and turn, it grinds a lot.

I don't know how long this has been going on, because I only hear it when it's quiet (so like in a room with noise I won't notice).

PT put his head by my head and wanted to hear it. He could hear nothing.

This is not popping. It's grinding.

What could be causing this?
Kuinone to the rescue!

OP
I

ironfist

Most likely arthritis, unfortunately. And/or the cushioning between the vertebra is eroding. You can take Glucosamine supplements to help that if that is the case.

Also, NOT ALL CHIROS ARE ALIKE!! I have been adjusted by 8 and only 3 were good!! Get a GOOD chiropractor.
I generally notice I maintain horrible posture. I wonder if it's from that. How do you find a good chiropractor?

OP
I

ironfist

Arthritis probably.

Did you try taking collagen?

A more complete protocol would be

- collagen
- vitamin C
- copper
- chondroitin
-glucosamine
I've taking collagen in multiple forms for years.

Vitamin C sometimes. Copper yes. Glucosamine and chondroitin in the past.

OP
I

ironfist

See if you can get a y-axis adjustment and try to do some neck training. When you strengthen it will start fixing it, and get something as like a neck pillow your supposed to have a curve in your neck
What is y axis? I've visited a nucca chiro and it didn't do anything to resolve this symptom.

HumanLife

Are you sure it is your neck and not your jaw? My jaw pops from time to time because of my TMJ from the car accident I had a year ago. It has gotten better over time.

Healthseeker

What is y axis? I've visited a nucca chiro and it didn't do anything to resolve this symptom.
That's where they grab the back of your head and pull straight out. It's the one thing you can't really do for yourself. It doesn't sound like your problems are all that bad, you still have full range of motion it's just making noise, right.

HeyThere

You have your Atlas bone (nodding forward and back) and your Axis bone (side to side). Either or both can get out of alignment. Mine were SO BAD that turning my neck sounded like a grinding machine, it was hideous. I see a NUCCA chiro specializes in the Atlas and Axis area. So if they didn't fix it, then it really sounds like arthritis, especially since you say you have to be in a quiet room to hear it. I could hear mine over an industrial ice machine.

The neck pull, yes that is straight out and can be very effective as well, but you need a chiro that's not chicken to really pull. I have one now that is a joke and his weak pull doesn't do crap, but he's under my insurance so I have no choice. I may switch soon to someone else under my coverage because they don't even adjust my C1 or C2 much (C1 = Atlas, C2 = Axis), and REFUSE to go any lower than C3 (I know my C6 is out as it has been adjusted before to GREAT relief).

David PS

The old adage use it or lose it applies to mobility (neck mobility) as well as other things. Arthritis will set in over time. If use to not do mobility exercises, the grinding will get worse in the future. People tend to think of the human body like an inanimate object; but it is alive and it can repair itself to a large degree. For example, if you scratch a coffee table it does not repair and the scratch remains forever. If you scratch arm, in a few weeks you would never know that it had been scratched.

The small joints in the neck need motion so that nutrients can get into the joints. "Motion is lotion." I have had similar grinding in my neck when I do neck circles. I suggest that you go to youtube and find some neck mobility exercises. Here is one for your consideration.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsII7QAh3M

Some people like myself, have an extra bone in their cervical spine. I have mobility issues and I’ve been told never to use cracking method chiropractic. It shows up on x-ray. It has a name but I don’t remember what it’s called.

GreenTrails

The old adage use it or lose it applies to mobility (neck mobility) as well as other things. Arthritis will set in over time. If use to not do mobility exercises, the grinding will get worse in the future. People tend to think of the human body like an inanimate object; but it is alive and it can repair itself to a large degree. For example, if you scratch a coffee table it does not repair and the scratch remains forever. If you scratch arm, in a few weeks you would never know that it had been scratched.

The small joints in the neck need motion so that nutrients can get into the joints. "Motion is lotion." I have had similar grinding in my neck when I do neck circles. I suggest that you go to youtube and find some neck mobility exercises. Here is one for your consideration.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHsII7QAh3M

Thanks for posting this.

xborg

Good video from Mendell. Great place to start.

Arthritis settles in over time largely because of chronic boron deficiency. It's almost unknown in those decreasing areas of high boron soils. Durable collagen, in all joints, cannot be built without boron. So, bone broth for collagen plus 9mg of boron per day until symptoms are gone, then 3mg/day for maintenance. It's readily available in capsules. (Another way, which I prefer, is to add 20-25mg of borax to my 2.5 litres of distilled drinking water. This delivers both the boron content and the systemic anti-fungal activity of borax.)

David PS

Yes, boron needs to be mentioned. A boron deficiency can result in impaired bone healing due to a marked reduction in osteogenesis.

The Borax Conspiracy by Walter Last

OP
I

ironfist

Good video from Mendell. Great place to start.

Arthritis settles in over time largely because of chronic boron deficiency. It's almost unknown in those decreasing areas of high boron soils. Durable collagen, in all joints, cannot be built without boron. So, bone broth for collagen plus 9mg of boron per day until symptoms are gone, then 3mg/day for maintenance. It's readily available in capsules. (Another way, which I prefer, is to add 20-25mg of borax to my 2.5 litres of distilled drinking water. This delivers both the boron content and the systemic anti-fungal activity of borax.)
Elaborate more about this.

Studies? Can you get too much boron? Is there a test?

Boron is one of those things I hear people say you need a lot of, but people say this about D3, too, giving haphazard recommendations like 10k a day, which is harmful in some cases.

What foods have boron? What sorts of supplements are ideal? I've seen aspartate, glycinate, to start.

Birdie

Yes, boron needs to be mentioned. A boron deficiency can result in impaired bone healing due to a marked reduction in osteogenesis.

The Borax Conspiracy by Walter Last
This is a good article by Walter Last.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals